Petrino Would Turn Down 'Bama for the Same Reason He Turned Down the Raiders

02Ram54

Because no one wants a boss who's an idiot.

Stewart Mandel doesn't call Alabama's AD Moore an idiot, but he might as well have- he called him "the college athletic directors' answer to Isiah Thomas."

Here's the good part:

But it shouldn't be entirely surprising when you consider who's running the ship. In an age when college athletic departments are nothing if not a big business, the most successful ones are run by shrewd businessmen. Guys like Florida's Jeremy Foley, Oklahoma's Joe Castiglione and Louisville's Tom Jurich worked their way up the administrative ranks. Moore is an ex-Bear assistant whose sole qualification is that he’s a "'Bama guy." Such ex-coaches used to be par for the course as ADs, but at this point they're a dying breed, found almost exclusively in the South. The smart business decision would have been to keep Shula at least another season, but I'm not sure Moore or any of the other power-brokers in Tuscaloosa are capable of making a decision based on anything other that emotion.

One of these days, they're going to have to show someone some patience. Who will be that someone? Whoever’s naïve enough to think they’ll treat him any differently.

The part at the end says it all. UK fans can call Petrino what they want, but I doubt any of them are calling him a starry-eyed idealist.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because no one wants a boss who's an idiot.

Stewart Mandel doesn't call Alabama's AD Moore an idiot, but he might as well have- he called him "the college athletic directors' answer to Isiah Thomas."

Here's the good part:

The part at the end says it all. UK fans can call Petrino what they want, but I doubt any of them are calling him a starry-eyed idealist.

What most UK fans call him can't be printed on here!!!:D

Tradition as well as $30 Million over 10 years...

That isn't much more than his contract right now...

Plus, U of L is much better situation currently. He could stay there and wait on a better offer.

I would be shocked if he takes the head coaching job at Alabama. I think the Tide will have a hard time getting a big name coach if that's what they want...I could be wrong though. Their best chance will be to get an up-and-comer from a mid-major program.

That isn't much more than his contract right now...

Plus, U of L is much better situation currently. He could stay there and wait on a better offer.

I would be shocked if he takes the head coaching job at Alabama. I think the Tide will have a hard time getting a big name coach if that's what they want...I could be wrong though. Their best chance will be to get an up-and-comer from a mid-major program.

I think Petrino is about #4 on their list right now, behind the obvious Saban, Spurrier, and Rodriguez from WVA. I think that they may also be looking at Cal's coach...

I think Petrino is about #4 on their list right now, behind the obvious Saban, Spurrier, and Rodriguez from WVA. I think that they may also be looking at Cal's coach...
Jeff Tedford has always been after Cal to upgrade their facilities. He has a hard enough time recruiting against a juggernaut like Pete Carroll's USC, he doesn't need the job made harder. His current pay rate is also in the Dantonio at MSU range.

And now the city of Berkley is suing Cal to stop the renovations because the stadium stradles a fault.

That has to be frustrating. IMO, he's ripe for the picking.

Only because their Big Blue Ego's won't let them call him what he is...A good football coach. ;)

:rolleyes:

Who on here is saying that Petrino is not a good football coach? I think he is a great football coach! Hes done an amazing job with UL. I simply have a problem with how he handled Durham from Rockastle above anything else. UL has really gotten themselves a great coach.

As for the title of the thread, I think Alabama right now is a much better job than the Raiders. That being said, why leave UL where you can win 9, 10, or 11 games a year, every year? He can beat UConn, Syracuse, Cinncy, and other schools every year. And beat WVA, Rutgers, and Pitt most of the time. Hes got a successful thing going at UL.

:rolleyes:

Who on here is saying that Petrino is not a good football coach? I think he is a great football coach! Hes done an amazing job with UL. I simply have a problem with how he handled Durham from Rockastle above anything else. UL has really gotten themselves a great coach.

Who on here (from the Blue side) has said he's a good football coach, especially after the whole Durham shenanigans?

That certainly will not hurt UL's cause.

Nah...If another school were going to try to make an offer to get BP away from the Ville, I'd think their offer would have to be at least 10 mil. more than he's getting here, and I dont see either of those schools doing that....