Petrino Would Turn Down 'Bama for the Same Reason He Turned Down the Raiders

02Ram54

Great point. I think he is a good coach but I do agree that Brooks with Kentucky's talent would win 8 or 9 games. Had Brooks and Ky been in Rutgers shoes they would have also been undefeated coming into the Louisville game.
I know it's a typo, but it's still funny.:D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petrino is a great coach, I haven't always agreed with some of his actions--the Auburn and Durham situations come to mind, however, in his defense he is a first time head coach that while he is a great X and O coach is probably still trying to perfect the PR side of running a program. He would have success anywhere in the college ranks, Big East, SEC, ACC, Mountain West wherever. I know Alabama or Miami may have the "traditional" big name but since he is already being taken care of financially I just don't see him taking either of those jobs. First he'd be taking a step down in current talent level and in Miami's case stepping into a mess both on and off the field and in Alabama's case stepping into the 5th or 6th best team in the SEC with a fan base and administration that still see's them as elite. He's much better off where he's at.

Petrino is a great coach, I haven't always agreed with some of his actions--the Auburn and Durham situations come to mind, however, in his defense he is a first time head coach that while he is a great X and O coach is probably still trying to perfect the PR side of running a program. He would have success anywhere in the college ranks, Big East, SEC, ACC, Mountain West wherever. I know Alabama or Miami may have the "traditional" big name but since he is already being taken care of financially I just don't see him taking either of those jobs. First he'd be taking a step down in current talent level and in Miami's case stepping into a mess both on and off the field and in Alabama's case stepping into the 5th or 6th best team in the SEC with a fan base and administration that still see's them as elite. He's much better off where he's at.

I don't know about UofL but everyone would do anything for him to turn around the Bama program...he would have the support, top notch facilities (including 92,000 @ Bryant-Denny) and a lot of money, more so than what he would have in Miami IMO. On a side note, I think he stays @ UofL, I just wish Bama would hire a coach already!!! The wait is killing me!!!!:madman:

I don't know about UofL but everyone would do anything for him to turn around the Bama program...he would have the support, top notch facilities (including 92,000 @ Bryant-Denny) and a lot of money, more so than what he would have in Miami IMO. On a side note, I think he stays @ UofL, I just wish Bama would hire a coach already!!! The wait is killing me!!!!:madman:

They were pretty quick to turn on one of their own in Shula. Like I said they've got all the facilities, they just refuse to accept the fact that they are now a middle-of-the-road SEC team and that if they want to rejoin the elite they're going to have to live with some 6-6, 7-5, 8-4 years. This program can't even win their own state championship, let alone a division of SEC title. They're a 20-40 ranked program right now that see themselves as a top 10. Get rid of those views and you might be okay.

This program can't even win their own state championship, let alone a division of SEC title.

You say this like Auburn is a pushover...and you have to remember that this year 3 of the teams ahead of them in the SEC west are ranked in the top 11. Bama is not a top 10 team but there is no reason with the right play caller, they can't be top 25 as soon as next year.

You say this like Auburn is a pushover...and you have to remember that this year 3 of the teams ahead of them in the SEC west are ranked in the top 11. Bama is not a top 10 team but there is no reason with the right play caller, they can't be top 25 as soon as next year.

You can't have it both ways. Either Bama has fallen far enough from their glory days that you can't expect a coach to make them elite in 4 years (and to be fair due to the Price dancer fiasco he only had 3 recruiting season) or they shouldn't have any problem competing with those top 11 programs, after all they are supposed to be the best of the best according to their tradition. The fact is they aren't, not now, not for awhile. To paraphrase Rick Pitino--"The Bear and Broadway Joe aren't walking back through that door....." This is only a decent team with indecent expectations. Their basketball team is much more of a national power at this point.

You can't have it both ways. Either Bama has fallen far enough from their glory days that you can't expect a coach to make them elite in 4 years (and to be fair due to the Price dancer fiasco he only had 3 recruiting season) or they shouldn't have any problem competing with those top 11 programs, after all they are supposed to be the best of the best according to their tradition.

The problem is not competing, the problem is getting over the hump and winning those games...I would think that 3 games by a TD or less and 2 within 2 TD's is competing.

@ #8 Arkansas L 23-24 OT

@ #4 Florida L 13-28

@ #17 Tennessee L 13-16

@ #5 LSU L 14-28

VS. #11 Auburn L 15-22

I am not one for moral victories at all but that was a brutal schedule especially because of all of the tough road games...the only decent game that I think that Bama won this year was...

VS. #24 Hawaii W 25-17

To bring this back to the title of the thread, I think that CBP is capable of coaching in those big games, where as CMS looked lost at times.

The problem is not competing, the problem is getting over the hump and winning those games...I would think that 3 games by a TD or less and 2 within 2 TD's is competing.

@ #8 Arkansas L 23-24 OT

@ #4 Florida L 13-28

@ #17 Tennessee L 13-16

@ #5 LSU L 14-28

VS. #11 Auburn L 15-22

I am not one for moral victories at all but that was a brutal schedule especially because of all of the tough road games...the only decent game that I think that Bama won this year was...

VS. #24 Hawaii W 25-17

To bring this back to the title of the thread, I think that CBP is capable of coaching in those big games, where as CMS looked lost at times.

Once or twice might be considered a fluke. However, the Alabama program is just frankly behind all of those teams save Arkansas. You can add Georgia to the list in the SEC as well. CBP has much better sense than to step into an unrealistic fanbase. While we're at it how is CBP equipped to handle that pressure and those kind of games. The biggest games he has coached are the Miami (who turned out to be putrid), the WVU, and the Rutgers games this year. I think Petrino is a great coach but UL-Rutgers ain't exactly Bama-Auburn. Particularly with a 4 year Bama losing streak. The Crimson Tide fans need to take stock of their program and aim small for now.

Average...Again you are entitled to your opinion and its just that ...yours. You don't see the big picture because you are not close to the situation like my self or KY. KY has said it all and "firing one of our own" was needed and our own will understand that his play calling was terrible and realizing that some changes were needed with his staff and he refused. We had no choice. I'm not going to repeat what KY has said he made his points very clear. Who do you pull for in college football Average?

Petrino is in a perfect place in Louisville. There is so much pressure in Alabama a couple losing seasons or even one sub par season will give you the boot. He is in Louisville hardly any expectations the more you win the more they like it. If you lose it's really not as big a deal. Perfect situation for him.