Extended Netting in MLB

Should the Reds Extend Their Netting?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Reds Extend Their Netting?

It looks like some teams are starting to extend their netting down the first and third base lines. Saw this morning that the Atlanta Braves are extending netting down to the foul poles and should be in place by the end of September.

Would you like to see the Reds do the same?

I was almost tagged by a line drive foul ball a week or so ago and that ball comes at you so fast, your mind almost can't process how to react. A few years ago, I had one go off my peanut bag when my back was to the field and no fan saved me haha! I voted a yes.

I would like to see if they could make it somehow retract with a motor, so that kids can still try to get autographs before the games, but oh well if they can't.

The MLB should require it. You should have to forfeit every game played on your home field if the netting doesn’t extend down the first and third base lines. Is someone going to have to die before MLB enforces this?

That's already happened, so I guess more have to....

Look at the stands at GABP down each foul line. Then tell me how you would put up netting down each line. It has its challenges because of the angles of the seating area

I could be wrong, but it seems like the last time I was there for a game last month that I noticed that they already had cable in place to hang the net from foul line to foul line.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the last time I was there for a game last month that I noticed that they already had cable in place to hang the net from foul line to foul line.

Could be. Every team will have it done before next season. I am interested in seeing how they do it at GABP with the angled seating.

Also, that cable may be what they put up to extend netting to its current place at the end of the dugout.

I'll admit I'm not a big fan of it. It's one of the reasons I preferred to not be behind it along the lines. Some minor league stadiums I've attended, the netting was like viewing a game through chain link fencing. HOWEVER, I have seen some netting that darn near looks like fishing line and is almost undetectable. I understand the need for netting I truly do. What with the bigger/stronger players, harder throwers on the mound, harder bats, juiced baseballs and folks with their noses in cell phones not paying attention. As much as I'm not a fan of the netting all down the field, it was due. Gotta keep what fans show up at games safe.

Heck I sat in a 400 section earlier this year Gennett hit a foul ball and tagged a girl in the leg about 4 rows up she had no clue ball was coming because her head was buried in her cell phone. I voted yes just because of the danger it could be! I mean we've seen it multiple times this year where a child gets hit.