New Kings Island Coaster: Orion

Randy Parker

I just went to Cedar Point 2 months ago and IMO Millenium Force wasn't even in my top 3 for coasters at the park.

It’s not in the top 3 at Cedar Point but it would be the best ride at KI. It shows how far ahead Cedar Point is than KI.

Owners aren't going to out-do Cedar Point.

To me thats a problem. Yeah for me I’m going to go to KI because I’m in Kentucky, but I live near Columbus or north, KI is irrelevant to me because I’d rather just drive to Cedar Point where the coasters are better. KI certainly is doing just fine considering it seems like they build a new ride just about every year, but as someone who loves roller coasters, CP would be getting my money if I lived between the two.

To me thats a problem. Yeah for me I’m going to go to KI because I’m in Kentucky, but I live near Columbus or north, KI is irrelevant to me because I’d rather just drive to Cedar Point where the coasters are better. KI certainly is doing just fine considering it seems like they build a new ride just about every year, but as someone who loves roller coasters, CP would be getting my money if I lived between the two.

If Kings Island was serious about being more than a regional destination, which they aren't, they'd have at least a single hotel on premise. The folks in Sandusky have Kings Island right where they want it, a nice park that provides day-trips for the folks Dayton and south. That is why K.I. only markets themselves from Columbus, OH to Louisville and Lexington, and then west to Indy. All within 2 hours of the park. Cedar Point is marketed well over 4 hours away intentionally.

If Kings Island was serious about being more than a regional destination, which they aren't, they'd have at least a single hotel on premise. The folks in Sandusky have Kings Island right where they want it, a nice park that provides day-trips for the folks Dayton and south. That is why K.I. only markets themselves from Columbus, OH to Louisville and Lexington, and then west to Indy. All within 2 hours of the park. Cedar Point is marketed well over 4 hours away intentionally.

I understand this and it makes sense. It’s still frustrating as someone who lives in the area KI markets to, to see them consistently build rides a tier below CP.

Just curious, what are your 3 favorite coasters at CP?

Thinking hard about it, I would actually have Millenium Force in my top 3. Even though it’s short, Dragster has to be at the top. Then I’d go Valravn followed by Millenium Force. Maverick is great too.

Thinking hard about it, I would actually have Millenium Force in my top 3. Even though it’s short, Dragster has to be at the top. Then I’d go Valravn followed by Millenium Force. Maverick is great too.

Thanks. I couldn't pick a top 3 at CP without Millenium being on the list. I'd put them at the top personally, followed by Dragster and Maverick.

Huge fan of tall, smooth, and speed when it comes to coasters, so I really like the look of the new one at KI. I think it'll be awesome.

This gives KI 4 coasters that are about as good as any you will find anyplace not named CP. (new one, Diamondback, Beast, and Banshee).

Thanks. I couldn't pick a top 3 at CP without Millenium being on the list. I'd put them at the top personally, followed by Dragster and Maverick.

Huge fan of tall, smooth, and speed when it comes to coasters, so I really like the look of the new one at KI. I think it'll be awesome.

This gives KI 4 coasters that are about as good as any you will find anyplace not named CP. (new one, Diamondback, Beast, and Banshee).

Oh for sure KI is one of the best parks in America for coasters enthusiasts. Only reason I’m critical of it is because it just sits in the shadow of CP. As far as favorite at KI, Beast is and likely forever will be my favorite. Just such a classic ride that feels like stepping back in time while also remaining a great ride.

Am I the only one who keeps mis-reading this thread title and thinking Kings Island is putting in a roller coaster called the Onion?

I'm in worse shape than that. I'm thinking of the "Men in Black" cat collar reference to "Orion's Belt".