Beechwood vs. Highlands (9th Region Championship) Predictions

Who wins?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Each team has comparable pitching staffs (no dominating power pitcher with above avg staffs that rely heavily on their defenses). Although KHSAA stats do not list errors, it is easy to conclude that both teams are strong in the field as BW has only allowed 13 unearned runs on the year and matched by Highlands 14. Both squads have WHIPs in the 1.2-1.3 range. The determinate for me is potentially the 50 point advantage BW has at the plate that equates into baserunners and the Tigers strength. With the pitch to contact staffs each team has, I see the Tigers taking it in a tightly fought high scoring contest.

I expect both teams will have a top pitcher starting. Highlands has their #1 Cramer in line to start and Beechwood has their #2 Holliday, who has pitched very well. Beechwood did not see Cramer in the first two games against Highlands. Highlands has seen 1 1/3 innings of Holliday, getting 1 hit and no runs. Looks like a really good matchup.

Edited by Voice of Reason

I expect both teams will have a top pitcher starting. Highlands has their #1 Cramer in line to start and Beechwood has their #2 Holliday, who has pitched very well. Beechwood did not see Cramer in the first two games against Highlands. Highlands has seen 1 1/3 innings of Holliday, getting 1 hit and no runs. Looks like a really good matchup.

I think Holliday is Beechwood's number 1. A few of the Beechies I've talked to have said as much.

I think Holliday is Beechwood's number 1. A few of the Beechies I've talked to have said as much.

Perhaps he is now. If so, I think that happened over the last part of the season. Holliday started both games versus Covington Catholic and he started the All A title game. Impressive freshman.

He shows a lot of potential for a freshman. Another control pitcher that throws to contact with a heavy reliance on the sterling BW defense behind him. Threw the three games Post#11 because it was his turn and neither of the CovCath were win or go home games. Carter is a two year older version with the big game experience as evidenced in both win or go home Regional games to date (10 innings, 5 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs, 2 wins to lead the state at 13-0). BW has been surprised to see the growth in Holliday this year as he was originally slated to be on the JV roster. The announcers referred to him as found gold. With Carter not available (PC), BW feels very good about their #2.

This should be a good one. Highlands is entering their 6th consecutive 9th region championship game. That is mighty impressive. Also, both teams have squared off in the 9th region tournament the past 3 years (Highlands winning all 3).