Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Auburn 97 North Carolina 80 (NCAA Tournament Sweet 16)

Featured Replies

I only talk about it when it gets brought up. It’s completely pointless. The SEC is an organization not a sports team. The SEC doesn’t play games. As far as I’m concerned it would be like chanting TBS because that’s what channel the game is on. It’s completely meaningless and sounds insane when people do it. Conference pride is hot garbage.

 

Conferences share money equally with member schools from tv contracts, etc. It makes complete sense to me to root for the conference your team is in to do well. Better results equals more money, more money makes sports programs more likely to be successful. Honestly I think it's funny that people take offense to it.

  • Replies 43
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing up in Owensboro and being a KWC fan and now as a UK fan, I've often rooted against Bruce Pearl coached teams. Luckily Ray Harper and Coach Cal have gotten the best of him more often than not. That being said, it's hard not to like the guy. After Cal leaves UK he would certainly be one the my first choices as the guy to replace him. However, I will continue my tradition on Sunday and go ahead and root for him to lose again.

I know what it’s for. It’s for conference pride. Conference pride is a joke.

 

Please tell that to the ACC as well. Living down here they root for their conference more than any I’ve been around.

They don’t get it. Somehow Auburn beating UNC makes UK look better in their minds. :idunno:

 

They are the most insecure group of people in all of sports.

Conferences share money equally with member schools from tv contracts, etc. It makes complete sense to me to root for the conference your team is in to do well. Better results equals more money, more money makes sports programs more likely to be successful. Honestly I think it's funny that people take offense to it.

Those TV contracts are already in place. It’s guaranteed money. Also even if they weren’t, it’s not like that money is going in your pockets nor is UK really strapped for money where they need that TV money to fund the program. UK is going to have money no matter how the rest of the conference does. The SEC has more good basketball teams now than at any other point in the history of the conference. In case you haven’t noticed, UK was doing pretty damn good before the rest of the conference started putting more emphasis on basketball. Gonzaga is in the WAC for Christ’s sake and they have been every bit as successful as UK has minus the 2012 Championship. Again conference affiliation is irrelevant. Maybe it’s how I was raised. I grew up rooting against my teams rivals. I don’t take pride in my rivals successes. I take pride in my teams success and my teams success only.

Please tell that to the ACC as well. Living down here they root for their conference more than any I’ve been around.

I’ve heard the ACC people beat their chests as well, but it’s nothing like the SEC. You won’t find any UNC, NC State, Wake Forest, etc. fans chanting, “ACC! ACC! ACC!” if Duke wins the championship this year. It won’t happen.

Those TV contracts are already in place. It’s guaranteed money. Also even if they weren’t, it’s not like that money is going in your pockets nor is UK really strapped for money where they need that TV money to fund the program. UK is going to have money no matter how the rest of the conference does. The SEC has more good basketball teams now than at any other point in the history of the conference. In case you haven’t noticed, UK was doing pretty damn good before the rest of the conference started putting more emphasis on basketball. Gonzaga is in the WAC for Christ’s sake and they have been every bit as successful as UK has minus the 2012 Championship. Again conference affiliation is irrelevant. Maybe it’s how I was raised. I grew up rooting against my teams rivals. I don’t take pride in my rivals successes. I take pride in my teams success and my teams success only.

 

Gonzaga has been every bit as successful as UK?

 

How many Final Fours have Bulldogs been to? One?

 

Cats have been to four in the last ten years. How are they just as successful?

I’ve heard the ACC people beat their chests as well, but it’s nothing like the SEC. You won’t find any UNC, NC State, Wake Forest, etc. fans chanting, “ACC! ACC! ACC!” if Duke wins the championship this year. It won’t happen.

 

You’re wrong on that one. I have lived in ACC country since 1991 and it’s amazed me how many UVA fans become UNC or Duke fans in the tourney. They say every year they always root for the ACC. :idunno:

Gonzaga has been every bit as successful as UK?

 

How many Final Fours have Bulldogs been to? One?

 

Cats have been to four in the last ten years. How are they just as successful?

Because they have been a really damn good basketball program for a long time. My entire view on college basketball is completely different than most of the people on here. Gonzaga has been on par with UK as a program IMO for most of the last 10 years minus the 2012 UK and 2015 UK teams which were clearly special. That’s how I view it. I don’t care if Gonzaga lost in the 2nd round. I don’t think basketball is a sport that should be viewed at any level by 1 game. If so why even play the regular season. The teams grinded since October for one random game in March to define their season? That’s insane to me.

You’re wrong on that one. I have lived in ACC country since 1991 and it’s amazed me how many UVA fans become UNC or Duke fans in the tourney. They say every year they always root for the ACC. :idunno:

I mean what am I supposed to say? I’m not going to tell you, you’re wrong. Now that Virginia is good I have a hard time believing any UVA fan wants Duke to win this thing should UVA lose.

I mean what am I supposed to say? I’m not going to tell you, you’re wrong. Now that Virginia is good I have a hard time believing any UVA fan wants Duke to win this thing should UVA lose.

 

I can tell you with 100% certainty they do. My company is headquartered just outside Charlottesville and I had to listen to them talk about how they were rooting for UNC last year since the UVA was done.

Let’s stick to discussing the subject game.

Because they have been a really damn good basketball program for a long time. My entire view on college basketball is completely different than most of the people on here. Gonzaga has been on par with UK as a program IMO for most of the last 10 years minus the 2012 UK and 2015 UK teams which were clearly special. That’s how I view it. I don’t care if Gonzaga lost in the 2nd round. I don’t think basketball is a sport that should be viewed at any level by 1 game. If so why even play the regular season. The teams grinded since October for one random game in March to define their season? That’s insane to me.

 

Cancelled

I feel really bad for Okeke. Hated to see that injury. Big blow to Auburn. They can still beat Kentucky without him, but it's going to be tough.

 

He was playing so well in this game too.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.