Lack of support fo high school lacrosse

@Hardin County Preps

I am not disputing that parents across the state are upset. Yes, I am far removed from that. However, I see this as clear cut. School teams get use of school facilities. Club teams don't get to use school facilities unless the school agrees to it, and schools are well within their rights to charge club teams for the use of their facilities. That is the way it is and the way it should be.

Questions for you to consider:

Where do AAU basketball teams play their games and tournaments?

Should AAU basketball teams be able to use high school gyms for games and practice at no charge?

Are schools obligated to let AAU basketball teams to use their facilities? And use them at no charge?

Are these all school teams? Are some of them club teams?

They are technically clubs but, the schools are trying to take them in as if they were sanctioned by the KHSAA in preparation for when and if this does happen.

I'm not sure how having to pay to use the facilities is bullying tactics, especially if everyone has to pay for them.

Also, what does the football program gain from limiting the growth of lacrosse?

At Bowling Green, when Wallace was the coach, he refused to let football players play lacrosse. He now coaches at St. X so kind of ironic. But now that Spader is the coach and AD he’s in full support of it.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #13 - Punctuation

At Bowling Green, when Wallace was the coach, he refused to let football players play lacrosse. He now coaches at St. X so kind of ironic. But now that Spader is the coach and AD he’s in full support of it.

Was it just lacrosse, or other sports as well?

I am not disputing that parents across the state are upset. Yes, I am far removed from that. However, I see this as clear cut. School teams get use of school facilities. Club teams don't get to use school facilities unless the school agrees to it, and schools are well within their rights to charge club teams for the use of their facilities. That is the way it is and the way it should be.

Agreed.

Only lacrosse. His reasoning for it was that it’s technically a club. Normally during winter conditioning they’ll allow baseball players or track kids to split days or leave early to go to practice.

Only lacrosse. His reasoning for it was that it’s technically a club. Normally during winter conditioning they’ll allow baseball players or track kids to split days or leave early to go to practice.

I can understand that approach...to an extent, at least. It's certainly different in my example, but my football coach never allowed us to compete in intramurals because of the injury risk.

To @Hardin County Preps - Sorry for the situation. The support for 'unsanctioned' lacrosse varies greatly in Kentucky. Dunbar in Lexington used to not get access to their facilities and had to play at the public park fields. No charge, but not a great venue for high school athletics. Only when the got to the semi-finals of the league one year did the school let them play at the school.

I have not seen lacrosse run afoul of football programs usually. Except for field contention in the spring it seems there should not be resistance by the footballers. But so many coaches now push kids to play on one or a very limited number of sports. If its that situation its hard to change for sure. One thing for certain - multi-sport players excel over single sport players. And lacrosse is a great compliment to football.

The sport most at risk of the growth of lacrosse is baseball since both are spring sports. I think this is one of the reasons KHSAA has held off on adding lacrosse to their line up. In any case, KHSAA sanctioning would not change things overnight.

Good luck with addressing this. With the influx of people from around the country to Hardin County it seems there should growing support of lacrosse.

Any football coach who does not encourage players to play lacrosse is foolish. Lacrosse (and hockey) are outstanding complementary sports to football. You want good defensive backs - get them to use a long pole and defend in lacrosse.

Any football coach who does not encourage players to play lacrosse is foolish. Lacrosse (and hockey) are outstanding complementary sports to football. You want good defensive backs - get them to use a long pole and defend in lacrosse.

For years People have been telling football coaches they should encourage their players to wrestle, because of the clear links and many success stories, and many in this state refuse to listen. I doubt it would be any different with lacrosse.