Mason Co./Rose Hill Scrimmage

Most of these posts are completely off topic. What does Kyle Bair have to do with the Mason Co Rose Hill scrimmage? Lets focus on the present, not the past. Kyle is now playing basketball for a coach that played at the D-1 level after attending poor old East Carter. I would dare to say that a coach that has played at the D-1 level may have some connections to coaches in the college ranks. If you can play, they will find you. There is also much more stability in the programs of East Carter, Ashland, Rowan, or any school in the 16th region than at Rose Hill. Same players in the sytem each year from middle school up, with the exception of those who are persuaded to leave to attend a private school or receive a christian education.

Boy, you managed to get the thread right back on topic!!! Good Luck to East!:thumb: :thumb:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I regret my posts on Kyle and his decision to leave. I will in the future focus my posts on the loyal players who want to be a part of the Rose Hill program. They are a blessed and couragous group of fine young men and do not deserve to have anything detract from thier dedication and fine work.

Even though the score was not the outcome that most would have liked against Mason. The Royals saw first hand what a top program plays like, the speed of the game, and the composure that they will need to have to stay focused. Any night that you improve from is a good night. And the last time I checked there werent any Mason County's in the 16th region. The teams of this region are of equal quality and on any given night any one team can beat another team.

RB, your post is right on target. As I mentioned earlier (or on another thread), RH was up against a deeper and more experienced squad. They will be just fine, and may indeed make some noise in the 16th as they gain more experience.

Scooter, I also was an eyewitness. Euton was responding to getting shoved around; and while I also applaud players defending their turf; I find flagrant elbows to the jaw neither refreshing nor positive; regardless of the uniform. This from someone who is old enough to remember watching Kermit Washington shatter Rudy T's face. Had the action been refreshing or positive, my guess is that the young man would not have ridden the pine for the balance of the contest.

Good luck to both the Rose Hill Royals and the Mason County Royals this season!:thumb:

I wasn't there so I cannot comment firsthand on whether Euton's actions werre first strike or retaliation. While I don't condone cheap shots, I certainly applaud a player protecting himself and staking out his own territory. This is particularly important for a freshman competing against upper classmen who seek to intimidate him. At this stage and from what I have been told by eyewitnesses, I'll assume that Euton was giving back a little of what he was taking and I find that refreshing and positive.

Scooterbob, most of the time I find your posts to be both informative & interesting & we see "eye to eye" in a lot of circumstances...However, an obvious intentional elbow to the face is never refreshing & positive...

Like you, I was not there so I don't know what he was taking from the other side but, even if he were punched, it is NOT "refreshing" or "positive" to punch back...

I will say that being physical (using your body to get position, etc) when others are being physical with you is important...I'm sure that is the point you were trying to make...:thumb:

I love the fact that we’re having a legitimate conversation about a pre-season scrimmage game. For a couple of seasons following the departure of Mayo and company, RH wasn’t much more than a scrimmage game for most opponents throughout the actual season. It is good to see RH where they are today.

IMO, Mason County is a Top 10 program in Kentucky this season. They are blessed with a solid group of experienced upperclassmen, and have a very good shot at tipping it up in Rupp this March.

For the record, Euton is a 15 year-old freshman.

Granted, he's 6' 8" and weighs around 210, but he's still very young. As a big kid for his age, he has been shoved and pushed and beat upon game after game for years now. I have seen the bruises under his shirt after he has been punched and pinched and pounded by aggressive competitors. It is amazing what he puts up with without retaliating as many of us might do. It is important that everyone understand that he is an even better person than he is a basketball player, and that's saying something.

I'm not suggesting that anyone from Mason County did anything out of line. They are an excellent team who plays hard and plays to win. We all respect that. We want to play that way ourselves. The bottom line is they are not about to let themselves be upstaged by a talented freshman. That's what makes Chad Jackson's performance all the sweeter.

Euton had been pushed and banged for 16 minutes, and apparently had enough. While I can understand his frustration, we all agree that he shouldn’t have handled it the way he did. He was not ejected from the game by the officials, he was benched by RH head coach Tim Fraley. A lesson has been learned, and hopefully, we can all move forward and will be better for it.

After the game, I spoke with the Mason County kid involved and he seemed fine. He’s a hardnosed player from a good family. His younger brother is a good ball player too, who I’ve had the privilege of coaching at a couple of showcases. No hard feelings guys, good game. :thumb:

Hats off to Mason County. You have a terrific team. I/we wish you the best this season, and look forward to tipping it up again with you soon. :thumb:

There seems to be, as is always the case, a good bit of disparity as to what did or did not happen in regard to Euton. That is not surprising since truth, it seems, is always in the eyes of the beholder.

If Euton was merely protecting himself, I agree with his actions. If not, then that was wrong. I'm not one who believes in always turning the other cheek because all you end up with is two bruised cheeks. On the other hand, I believe in punishing cheap shots.

Anyone know what Simon Kenton has this year?

Should be interesting to see the freshmen and varsity scrimmages. I don't take much stock in JV scrimmages (or even games) for the most part because so many schools "do JV" so differently. This is true in football as well as basketball.

Finally, let's put the "elbowing incident" behind us. I'm almost sorry to have brought it up - someone wanted a report from the scrimmage and I was the first to respond in detail; and along with Jackson's play and Mason County's dominance; it was one of the more significant aspects of the game. Some folks saw it through rose-colored glasses; some through blue. The young man from Rose Hill responded to contact inappropriately on the court, was disciplined, and he will no doubt learn from the experience. From what little I saw, he has the makings of a fine ball player, and I have no doubt that he will be a force in the 16th sooner rather than later.

Agreed, providing Tristian is healthy. Brossart may even be "1C".

By tourney time I hope so...:D Should know something this week on when he will be able to play.

I have heard alot of talk on here about BB and thier team this year. Will be anixous to see how their season goes. GRC does not play them in the regular season this year.

Anyone know what Simon Kenton has this year?

Should be interesting to see the freshmen and varsity scrimmages. I don't take much stock in JV scrimmages (or even games) for the most part because so many schools "do JV" so differently. This is true in football as well as basketball.

Finally, let's put the "elbowing incident" behind us. I'm almost sorry to have brought it up - someone wanted a report from the scrimmage and I was the first to respond in detail; and along with Jackson's play and Mason County's dominance; it was one of the more significant aspects of the game. Some folks saw it through rose-colored glasses; some through blue. The young man from Rose Hill responded to contact inappropriately on the court, was disciplined, and he will no doubt learn from the experience. From what little I saw, he has the makings of a fine ball player, and I have no doubt that he will be a force in the 16th sooner rather than later.

Simon Kenton has an outstanding PG in Michael Hester and a senior class that has started together on the varsity level since freshmen year. They have been thru the wars together and should provide Mason a pretty good test.

Simon Kenton has an outstanding PG in Michael Hester and a senior class that has started together on the varsity level since freshmen year. They have been thru the wars together and should provide Mason a pretty good test.

Thanks for the summary. I know they had a nice record last year against some good competition. Do they play the typical "northern KY style" (ball control, great shot selection, boxing out and rebounding)? Just asking because Mason County often has difficulty matching up against that particular style of play (witness last year's 2nd round state tourney game).