Mason Co./Rose Hill Scrimmage

Mason Co. played very well for the entire game, they were the best team on the floor last night, congratulations. Chad is "the man", but Dakota is a very good player also. Dakota had an off night, it happens. Give the freshman a break, he responded to being mauled. I don't like the way he responded, but he'll learn. I don't think a foul was even called because there were no free throws.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets put things in perspective. The Royals were beaten by one of the few teams that have been there done that on the state level. The Royals started off the game great lost there composure and then rebounded to play a strong final 16 min. with Euton sitting on the bench. The Royals will be a strong player within the 16th region for this season and many to come.

Yes they did miss Bair but what team wouldnt miss a 2 year starter but here is the Fact in the end Bair will miss Rose Hill more than Rose Hill will miss Bair.

Lets not get to high or to low on any team right now. The War has only started and there are many battles to be fought between now and March.

... but here is the Fact in the end Bair will miss Rose Hill more than Rose Hill will miss Bair...

I don't think I can agree with that. Bair went back to East Carter, where his roots are. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, on any level (many of us wish that we could do the same).

I believe (but could be wrong) that he went back so that he could participate in a sport that isn't available to him at Rose Hill (football), and because his uncle (who is his main role model) lives there.

From a purely basketball standpoint, only time will tell if Bair will do as well over the next four years at East Carter as he would have at Rose Hill. As for basketball at the two schools, one thing is certain - East Carter just got better (and I have NO idea what they already had), and Rose Hill just got weaker. At this point, I know that Rose Hill has some solid talent in the pipeline, but every school in the 16th Region would benefit from having Bair.

In the bigger picture, he will now get to play football and baseball with the kids that he grew up with in his early childhood. Regardless of where Bair goes to high school, his uncle will see that he stays on the straight and narrow, and in the long run, that's what life really is about.

Frances

How big is Mason Co starters.

Mason County has never had a great deal of size, more speed than bulk. Last night's starting lineup:

Darius Miller 6'6"

Trevor Setty 6'4"

Brad Pawsat 6'3"

Russ Middleton 6'2"

Tyreese Scott 5'7"

I may be an inch off one way or another.

Key Reserves/Not dressed:

Richie Cox 6'2"

Nathan Stahl 6'2"

Ethan King 6'2"

Tony Browning 6'1"

Keith Downing 6'3"

Jackson Tolle 6'1"

Jeremy Thompson unknown, maybe 5'10"

I don't think I can agree with that. Bair went back to East Carter, where his roots are. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, on any level (many of us wish that we could do the same).

I believe (but could be wrong) that he went back so that he could participate in a sport that isn't available to him at Rose Hill (football), and because his uncle (who is his main role model) lives there.

From a purely basketball standpoint, only time will tell if Bair will do as well over the next four years at East Carter as he would have at Rose Hill. As for basketball at the two schools, one thing is certain - East Carter just got better (and I have NO idea what they already had), and Rose Hill just got weaker. At this point, I know that Rose Hill has some solid talent in the pipeline, but every school in the 16th Region would benefit from having Bair.

In the bigger picture, he will now get to play football and baseball with the kids that he grew up with in his early childhood. Regardless of where Bair goes to high school, his uncle will see that he stays on the straight and narrow, and in the long run, that's what life really is about.

Frances

Excellent post!

Mason is very, very good. Miller is an excellent player and more importantly a very gracious and humble young man, any college will be fortunate to get him. For one night he wasn't the best player on the floor. That distinction belongs to Chad Jackson. The thing that stuck out to me was that Chad actually got the opening tip against Miller.

As for Kyle Bair, he will always be part of Rose Hill. I miss him and his uncle personally and wish him nothing but the best. It depends on how you look at it as to whom will miss whom the most. Obviously when you lose a player the caliber of Kyle it hurts. If Kyle wishes to gain exposure and potentially increase his value as a college basketball player then he will obviously miss Rose Hill. Either way if Kyle made his decision for the right reasons, which I have no reason to believe he didn't, then it will work out for all involved.

For the record Kyle has spent more time with Dakotah Euton than anyone from his hometown.

I also wish Bair nothing but the best my post was directed at zonebusters comment that implyed Rose Hill lost because Bair left. Bair made his choice and IF he left to play football or baseball he may have made the right choice but if his dream if to get scholarship to play big time basketball (he told me this was his dream many times) he should have stayed at the Hill. I stand behind my first post on this subject. It is my opinion that the kid got some bad advice from someone close to him and now will have to live with it. I just hope the adult who pushed him to transfer can live with it.

Just to be sure that I'm not misunderstood, I am not, in any way, disparaging the value of playing basketball at Rose Hill, but I will strongly disagree with the last few posts, implying that playing for Rose Hill is the best chance that Bair (or any other athlete) has at landing a college scholarship in basketball.

The truth is, if you can play at the next level, they'll find you. I daresay that VanHoose at Russell, or Mayo at (insert the high school of the week here) did not suffer from not having graduated from Rose Hill. I think it's safe to say that it stretches credulity to imply that college coaches haven't heard of kids from Russell, Ashland, East Carter, Raceland, etc., but they would somehow find that same athlete at Rose Hill.

Unless some terrible tragedy befalls them, Chad Jackson and Dakotah Euton are going to play basketball at the next level. The fact that they wear a Rose Hill jersey in the meantime is absolutely irrelavant. The exposure that they get on the AAU circuit also guarantees that they will be seen by people that have scholarships to offer. Make no mistake - these same statements are true of Boyd County, West Carter, Greenup County, and everyone else in the 16th Region.

If Bair has the ability and skill set to allow him to play "big time" basketball at the next level, I have a sneaking suspicion that he'll have that opportunity. I highly doubt that the D-I coaches will overlook bluechip 16th region athletes that don't attend Rose Hill.

As for the comment about his getting some "bad advice", I have no idea who you are referring to. If that was a reference to his uncle (Kevin "Sugar" Bair), I will have to strongly disagree. This isn't the same situation as OJ Mayo, and it isn't even close. Kevin has been the stabilizing force in Kyle's life, and everything that Kevin does is for the betterment of Kyle (as it should be).

Just as every parent that decides to enroll his child at Rose Hill does so because they believe it to be the best for them, when a parent or guardian that chooses not to, they aren't somehow guilty of stupidity or shortsightedness.

Frances

I think those who believe that Bair would have a better chance of being seen as a basketball player at Rose Hill than at East Carter are referring to the probability that Rose Hill will have a better supporting cast in the next few years and will, likely, attract more attention. This is particularly true with Euton and Jackson at Rose Hill. Also, while East Carter plays a fairly "local" schedule, it is much more likely that Rose Hill will play in more venues frequented by college representatives.

I don't think anyone believes that, all options being similar, Rose Hill offers a better chance at recognition than does any other area school. That is clearly not the case.

The reality is that the vast majority of college scholarships today are gained

from the aau circuit, where a large number of college coaches can evaluate you against a much higher level of competition. No 16th area school draws more than an occasional visit from a College Coach, unless a player gets the schools attention first on the aau circuit. If a player never plays aau, it pretty much guarantees either no scholarship or a scholarship at a lower level

than could have been achieved from the aau exposure.

I think those who believe that Bair would have a better chance of being seen as a basketball player at Rose Hill than at East Carter are referring to the probability that Rose Hill will have a better supporting cast in the next few years and will, likely, attract more attention. This is particularly true with Euton and Jackson at Rose Hill. Also, while East Carter plays a fairly "local" schedule, it is much more likely that Rose Hill will play in more venues frequented by college representatives.

I don't think anyone believes that, all options being similar, Rose Hill offers a better chance at recognition than does any other area school. That is clearly not the case.

A fair assessment.

Frances