Referees berating other referees

So, I saw something last night that I really couldn't believe. We all know how fans get on the officials and it's been talked about to death on here. Last night, an official from the 8th region (who was not assigned to a region game, and not listing his name here) was in the stands about 3 people from me and absolutely made a fool of himself, screaming and yelling at the 13th region officials that were doing the game at Henry County. "You're awful, blow your whistle" and on and on.

Isn't there some unwritten rule about officials doing that to other officials? Just curious. Should they not support each other rather than scream at them?

The next time he is calling a game I'm at, I'm interested to see how he handles the same treatment.

Commissioner Tackett makes it a huge point of emphasis in the yearly rules clinic that referees criticizing other referees happens far too often and something the KHSAA does not wish to tolerate. What the potential penalties are and just how frequent this is I do not know.

Commissioner Tackett makes it a huge point of emphasis in the yearly rules clinic that referees criticizing other referees happens far too often and something the KHSAA does not wish to tolerate. What the potential penalties are and just how frequent this is I do not know.

There aren't enough officials in any sports for there to be too much of a punishment. There was a baseball umpire caught by Freedom staff urinating on the wall of the stadium building last year that will likely be back doing games this year. Severe shortages in officials means that assignors, coaches, players and fans have to put up with far more than they should each year.

I’ve been watching him do that for around 20 years. That being said he did have a personal interest in the game.

Having a personal interest raises the passion to another level. That said, he didn’t take that into consideration when he addressed me a few years ago. He doesn’t handle the crowd well.

From the few games I observed during the year, he didn't raise his voice at 8th region officials during the games in which he had a "personal interest." In fact, he appeared to be VERY friendly with his 8th region peers. Its disappointing he didn't extend that same courtesy to his 13th region counterparts.

There aren't enough officials in any sports for there to be too much of a punishment. There was a baseball umpire caught by Freedom staff urinating on the wall of the stadium building last year that will likely be back doing games this year. Severe shortages in officials means that assignors, coaches, players and fans have to put up with far more than they should each year.

It is a vicious cycle considering that the potential to be berated in the work environment is one factor contributing to the officials shortage.

Gotcha. I couldn't hear a whole lot in that first one over the crowd. Heard some folks riding the crew on the second game. Either way, I think the officials in either game did a fine job in the environment. Both games were top notch last night.