2018/2019 BluegrassPreps Girls Basketball Rankings Week 7 Discussion

There are 10-12 teams that could but that won’t be the case once they get to state. At that point only 4-5 of those teams will remain. They will have knocked each other out. Four top 15 teams in the 7th region. Three top 10 teams in the 9th region. Two in the 6th region.

Someone please remind me again on how this “16 region one team only advances state tourney” set up is fair for the kids? (With a random seeding! really, a random seeding!). After you remind me please be sure to remind all the Conner, Ryle and Highlands kids, coaches and families. I’m sure they will see the wisdom in it and completely understand

So will the Eastern, Male, Sacred Heart, Christian Academy, Assumption and Manual kids who would all win many Regions but only one will advance.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 10-12 teams that could but that won’t be the case once they get to state. At that point only 4-5 of those teams will remain. They will have knocked each other out. Four top 15 teams in the 7th region. Three top 10 teams in the 9th region. Two in the 6th region.

Someone please remind me again on how this “16 region one team only advances state tourney” set up is fair for the kids? (With a random seeding! really, a random seeding!). After you remind me please be sure to remind all the Conner, Ryle and Highlands kids, coaches and families. I’m sure they will see the wisdom in it and completely understand

Well there you have it, 9 of the 16 already chosen. Let’s find 7 others and get this thing started.

Well there you have it, 9 of the 16 already chosen. Let’s find 7 others and get this thing started.

I don’t understand your comment here? Are you saying the nine teams from those three regions are not actually 9 of the top 16 teams in the state?

Or are you just advocating for the current format in some deflecting round about way?

I've got to admit, now that i'm following girls basketball closely with a child that plays, its really disappointing there aren't better teams down in Western Kentucky that can be in these discussions. I would love to tell you the publicity just isn't there because we are forgotten down here is west ky, but that's just not the case. Now don't get me wrong, there are some really solid teams and some programs that know how to coach basketball. I just think the population density and demographic of the area along with a lack of basketball tradition (minus Marshall County) has really led to basketball that is a step below the rest of the state. Murray High seems to have a nice program now with Turner then Foust. Marshall is definitely on the rise with Langhi taking over and a really good core. Graves has a good core and program, Paducah Tilghman has some really good 8th graders coming up, and Calloway has Settles and a pretty good young core. Region 2 fields some solid teams as well, but about the same level. Seems like a large part of the state with Region 1 and 2 being what I consider to be Western Kentucky, and really there is not 1 dominant team this year. Maybe i'm off, maybe the out of sight out of mind mentality has put some of those teams on a higher pedestal than they deserve, but I think I've seen enough basketball to know. What say ye?

I've got to admit, now that i'm following girls basketball closely with a child that plays, its really disappointing there aren't better teams down in Western Kentucky that can be in these discussions. I would love to tell you the publicity just isn't there because we are forgotten down here is west ky, but that's just not the case. Now don't get me wrong, there are some really solid teams and some programs that know how to coach basketball. I just think the population density and demographic of the area along with a lack of basketball tradition (minus Marshall County) has really led to basketball that is a step below the rest of the state. Murray High seems to have a nice program now with Turner then Foust. Marshall is definitely on the rise with Langhi taking over and a really good core. Graves has a good core and program, Paducah Tilghman has some really good 8th graders coming up, and Calloway has Settles and a pretty good young core. Region 2 fields some solid teams as well, but about the same level. Seems like a large part of the state with Region 1 and 2 being what I consider to be Western Kentucky, and really there is not 1 dominant team this year. Maybe i'm off, maybe the out of sight out of mind mentality has put some of those teams on a higher pedestal than they deserve, but I think I've seen enough basketball to know. What say ye?

I have very little knowledge of that area of the state. And like you said, we don’t have a lot of info posted on here about those teams. However I do know that the guys that oversee the rankings have a good working knowledge of the girls players and teams around the state. They are active in the Kentucky Premier AAU program and other organizations that work closely with girls all over the state. They would be better to answer your question about how the far west regions compare to the Cincinnati, Louisville and Lexington area teams.

Have any really good teams from your area played against any of the top 20 teams? Close losses maybe?

Murray was a top team last year. And their coach, Foust, is excellent. My daughter played for him briefly. Great guy, seems really committed to the girls and knows basketball.

Anyone familiar with Scott County knows they are in the top 5 in the state. GRC has been lower ranked since the injuries but is now back at full force. GRC at full strength is the best team in Kentucky and Scott County is right behind them. Ryle is good but the Boyd loss exposed them, just not deep and consistent enough. GRC vs Scott County will be a great game. Get a good picture of what team is at the top.

SK and Lincoln are a level below the top two. Pending some unique situation neither SK or Lincoln will challenge GRC or Scott Co this weekend.

This didn’t age well 😂

I wouldn’t say Foust is excellent. Walked into a tremendous situation where he is currently at Murray. Nothing spectacular at NDA.

I have not seen them play this year but they are ranked in the top 25 in the coaches poll after having lost three girls to Murray State last year. I think he only has two big contributors back and at one time had one of the top 5 defenses in the state, that sounds pretty good. Like I said though, I haven't seen them, was impressed he could do this well with a new group.

I have very little knowledge of that area of the state. And like you said, we don’t have a lot of info posted on here about those teams. However I do know that the guys that oversee the rankings have a good working knowledge of the girls players and teams around the state. They are active in the Kentucky Premier AAU program and other organizations that work closely with girls all over the state. They would be better to answer your question about how the far west regions compare to the Cincinnati, Louisville and Lexington area teams.

Have any really good teams from your area played against any of the top 20 teams? Close losses maybe?

I believe Marshall County plays Simon Kenton in a few weeks, but honestly I don't see where many region 1 teams have played against top 25 teams outside of the area. There are a few mutual opponent type of games that lead me to believe the rest of the state is currently that much better.

This didn’t age well 😂

Agreed! Any one able to post details about Lincoln County’s double digit victory over GRC? Was Igo full go? Lincoln just get really hot shooting wise?

SK was easily handled by Scott County as expected. But I’m sure even the BGP rankers were surprised by the GRC Lincoln County result

Any details out there?

Edited by hydraman
Clarification

Agreed! Any one able to post details about Lincoln County’s double digit victory over GRC? Was Igo full go? Lincoln just get really hot shooting wise?

SK was easily handled by Scott County as expected. But I’m sure even the BGP rankers were surprised by the GRC Lincoln County result

Any details out there?

Easily handled?

Let's start by saying I WAS NOT at the game but I've read in other posts that SK kept fighting back and even cut the score to 7 or 8 in the 4th. They also only won by 11. Just curious how you feel this was Scott Co. "easily handling" SK?

Easily handled?

Let's start by saying I WAS NOT at the game but I've read in other posts that SK kept fighting back and even cut the score to 7 or 8 in the 4th. They also only won by 11. Just curious how you feel this was Scott Co. "easily handling" SK?

I was there and Sk was easily handled by SC. Game was never close SC got off to 9 - 0 start and never looked backed. I might mention I was rooting for SK.

Easily handled?

Easily handled might have been the wrong words. Agree with you that it was not a blow out or easy win for SC. But SC showed they are a step ahead of SK from what I’ve heard. Scott County is a legit top 3 team in Kentucky despite not playing a tough schedule. Of course they have to get past Lincoln County and GRC this weekend.

I still think GRC is a top 3 team also but would like to hear more about what happened in their game against Lincoln County.