Mercer 43 Newport 7

wildcat111

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to give Newport's D props. The score is a little misleading. They held our offense again from being as explosive as normal. The wildcats have nothing to be ashamed of. They are a quality team. Props to the Titan Defense. I dont know how many shots Newport had at the endzone their early in the first half. I think it was atleast 8 shots from the 5 or 6 yard line. Props to Darrel Smith for an awesome performance. Watch WKYT 27 tonight to see the catch he makes. It's unreal. Was that Corey who threw the ball to him? I couldnt tell.

I have to give Newport's D props. The score is a little misleading. They held our offense again from being as explosive as normal. The wildcats have nothing to be ashamed of. They are a quality team. Props to the Titan Defense. I dont know how many shots Newport had at the endzone their early in the first half. I think it was atleast 8 shots from the 5 or 6 yard line. Props to Darrel Smith for an awesome performance. Watch WKYT 27 tonight to see the catch he makes. It's unreal. Was that Corey who threw the ball to him? I couldnt tell.

43 points is not explosive :confused: ....props to Newport Defense... stop

43 points is not explosive :confused: ....props to Newport Defense... stop

What I meant is that they didnt give up the huge runs that has been our bread and butter this year. Mercer showed they had a passing game once again. They seem to throw the ball a little more every game.

:thumb: First of all, I want to congratulate the kids at Newport on a fine season. #20 and Hesch, you all have your best football ahead of you!!

Secondly, I believe the game completely swung into Mercer's hands when they stopped Newport, not once, but twice within the same drive from inside the 5 yd. line. Mercer's defense could have gave in and folded on that drive after the questionable interference call, but what do they do?! Hold Newport again on four straight plays from the 3 yd line....Mercer then got the ball and drove all the way down for the first score to go up 8-0.

The next kick-off was huge, too. Some fumbles are mistakes on the offensive kid, others are caused, the one on the kick-off was caused. There was some MAJOR hitting going on from the Titan defense!! Mercer then put together another clock eating drive to go up 15-0, only to have a chance to go up another TD or Field goal before the have, kudos to Newport's 'D' on that stand.

After the half, Mercer got the ball and put together 9 minute drive to score with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter to go up 21-0. Then, the Daryl Smith show started, intercepting not one, but two passes, returning the first for the TD, and also making an unbelievable grab on a TD reception. WOW!!

To top it all off, was the return by Freeman Edwards off of an attempted Onside Kick by Newport, after they scored their lone TD. Edwards return was one that you just had to be their to see just how great of a play it was! I believed he showed that he is another one for the Titans who has SPEED to burn!! The kid was on skates!! He took the ball, reversed the field and went the distance.

Mercer didnt rip off 50 yd run after 50 yd run tonite like in previous games, and that had to do with a GREAT Newport defense. In saying that, one has to give several 'pat on the backs' to Mercer's offensive linemen and backs for absolutely just getting physical with Newport's 'D'. Mercers young O-line (4 sophomores and 1 Jr.) played a great game. Some have questioned how Mercer would do in a physical ballgame. Well, this is the third time this year that they have had to grind it out and put drives together to win a ballgame, the 1st time with Boyle, the 2nd time with Newport and then again tonite with Newport.

Great game, Great job on both sides of the ball for Mercer, Great atmosphere for a HS ball game!! Good job Titans on your win, enjoy it and get ready for the Hawks of LaRue Co!!! Again, congrats to Newport, their coaches and their kids on a fine year!!! Go Titans!!