Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY talent of the future

Featured Replies

Highlands has been dominating games in both the Freshman and JV level. Both teams are not just undefeated but crushing opponents. Who else has a bright future? I know Cov Cath and Highlands are both stacked right now with underclass talent (which is great for NKY football). Will these 2 teams be in a class of their own, or are there other schools who have talent coming up the next few years?

  • Replies 36
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had similar discussions with several former coaches over the last few days and the consensus is if you live in NKY and have a talented football player at home your three choices are Covington Catholic, Beechwood, and maybe Highlands.

I have had similar discussions with several former coaches over the last few days and the consensus is if you live in NKY and have a talented football player at home your three choices are Covington Catholic, Beechwood, and maybe Highlands.

 

Asking from an “outside” perspective, is that any different than usual?

Asking from an “outside” perspective, is that any different than usual?

 

As an outsider, probably not.

 

For us locals football is bad in NKY outside of those programs and more than ever if high school football is your jelly roll those are the three schools you should be considering.

Highlands has been dominating games in both the Freshman and JV level. Both teams are not just undefeated but crushing opponents. Who else has a bright future? I know Cov Cath and Highlands are both stacked right now with underclass talent (which is great for NKY football). Will these 2 teams be in a class of their own, or are there other schools who have talent coming up the next few years?

 

I was at the Highlands vs. Cooper freshman game. I definitely wouldn't call that crushing an opponent. In fact I would say it was more the other way around, to where Cooper's own penalties in the red zone and then and also a costly turnover in the red zone was the difference. I think even Highlands coaches would say they were fortunate to get out of that game with a win. However a win is a win and that is all that matters. I'm just saying that was one game I did see, and that was definitely anything but crushing any opponent.

 

I think Highlands, Covcath, Cooper, Ryle, and Conner all have nice young talent moving up from what I have seen and heard. It should make for a fun new 5A district over the next 4 years for those teams.

Edited by futurecoach

I was at the Highlands vs. Cooper freshman game. I definitely wouldn't call that crushing an opponent. In fact I would say it was more the other way around, to where Cooper's own penalties in the red zone and then and also a costly turnover in the red zone was the difference. I think even Highlands coaches would say they were fortunate to get out of that game with a win. However a win is a win and that is all that matters. However just saying that was one game I did see, and that was definitely anything but crushing any opponent.

 

I think Highlands, Covcath, Cooper, Ryle, and Conner all have nice young talent moving up from what I have seen and heard. It should make for a fun new 5A district over the next 4 years for those teams.

 

Ryle stays 6a, no?

  • Author
I have had similar discussions with several former coaches over the last few days and the consensus is if you live in NKY and have a talented football player at home your three choices are Covington Catholic, Beechwood, and maybe Highlands.

 

Just FYI, this year Highlands JV beat Beechwood 28-0 and the Freshman Birds won 34-20... I think you can remove the “maybe” as to the talent coming up at Highlands.

I have had similar discussions with several former coaches over the last few days and the consensus is if you live in NKY and have a talented football player at home your three choices are Covington Catholic, Beechwood, and maybe Highlands.

 

The sad part is if those talented players stayed in their areas. Those schools would be able to play and compete with those teams. However much like the NBA now, players and especially parents feel like those are the schools to go to. When in reality the main reason why those teams are good, are not because they are doing anything better or different but because they do have and also get the most talented players.

 

As we seen with Highlands over the years it does help having the most talented guys. For years many Highlands people wanted to just say work harder and you can be as good and didn't want to admit they were just more talented. Well we all seen that wasn't the case, that it was in deed having the more talented teams made a huge difference. Once the talent went down and other schools talent went up, those schools started beating Highlands. Highlands now has had a few talented groups moving up, and now starting to see them play top level football again.

Ryle stays 6a, no?

 

Yes, Ryle is still staying 6A. I didn't mean to lump them into that.

Those three are all fine academic institutions as well. Can’t go wrong going to any of those.

The sad part is if those talented players stayed in their areas. Those schools would be able to play and compete with those teams. However much like the NBA now, players and especially parents feel like those are the schools to go to. When in reality the main reason why those teams are good, are not because they are doing anything better or different but because they do have and also get the most talented players.

 

As we seen with Highlands over the years it does help having the most talented guys. For years many Highlands people wanted to just say work harder and you can be as good and didn't want to admit they were just more talented. Well we all seen that wasn't the case, that it was in deed having the more talented teams made a huge difference. Once the talent went down and other schools talent went up, those schools started beating Highlands. Highlands now has had a few talented groups moving up, and now starting to see them play top level football again.

 

Freshman and JV football should be looked at for what they truly are, developmental.

Talented classes make all the difference in the world, Ryle had a small senior class a couple years ago that was loaded with talent. Those classes aren't always there, especially for public high schools.

When I compared the records of the HHS classes at the JV and Frosh records that had a losing record and how they fared at the Varsity level, I was told on here that you cant equate the JV and Frosh games to what will happen when they are varsity players. At the time I believed that the Frosh and JV results should have some correlation to future results. I guess will see as the future unfolds.

Just FYI, this year Highlands JV beat Beechwood 28-0 and the Freshman Birds won 34-20... I think you can remove the “maybe” as to the talent coming up at Highlands.

 

We are talking about different things. I stipulate Highlands has talent, we agree there is no maybe about that.

 

To come full circle, you are talking about current talent and I am talking about teams that have a realistic chance of getting past the third round of the playoffs. That group of teams is Covington Catholic and Beechwood for sure, and maybe Highlands. :thumb:

Those three are all fine academic institutions as well. Can’t go wrong going to any of those.

 

Hear hear!

When I compared the records of the HHS classes at the JV and Frosh records that had a losing record and how they fared at the Varsity level, I was told on here that you cant equate the JV and Frosh games to what will happen when they are varsity players. At the time I believed that the Frosh and JV results should have some correlation to future results. I guess will see as the future unfolds.

 

Normally the better the football program the more Frosh and JV results may predict the future.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.