Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kickers: the under-appreciative position

Featured Replies

Who has the top kickers in the state. I don't know much about this position, I do know Oldham County has a good one.

Sean Ralls is 2-3 on field goals with a long of 31 and it clears it by 20 yards.

Punts inside of the 20.

Kickoffs into the endzone.

 

Check him out here:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8041849/5b78568c2aa6740504c3c537

A good kicker is a big weapon. Kicker can prevent returns on kickoffs and give a team a potential edge in a close game. I remember when X beat Boone County for a state championshp, in 1992, 3-0 with a field goal in the 4th Quarter.

Lance Butler from Tilghman is among the best in the state. He was on the Honorable Mention All State team last season as a Junior and looks much more polished this season.

 

He's got a big leg just like his brother Miles had at Tilghman. Miles will be the starting kicker for Kentucky this season.

 

I believe he made 3 straight from 51 pregame against Liberty last week and has a long of 57 in practice. I don't have his stats in front of me at the moment.

 

He's a very good punter also and I trust that he can make a long field if necessary to win a game when the pressure is there.

 

If you have one of these guys with a big leg, there are lots of times where teams could utilize the high school rule to their advantage, yet you never see it done.

 

If you are in range for a 45-50 yard field goal on say 4th and long, why do teams not let these guys take a shot? If they can cross the goal line, the ball is dead anyways and your opponent takes over on the 20.

 

Not much to lose in certain scenarios like that. If you make it, all the better. I'd like to see more teams give it some thought, Tilghman being one of them.

Brian Baker is a sophomore at Powell County kicks. 45+ field goals. And puts kickoffs out of the back of the endzone.

Brossart senior Bryan Duffy a Soccer/Football Mustang, is a perfect 6 if 6 on his PAT chances and 1 of 1 on Field Goals this season.

 

Duffy already holds the school record for most FGs in a season with five last year.

 

Ftbl-18-Hlms-DuffyPerfectForm-MrPerfect-BGP.jpg

Question for all of those talking about the kickers. Are they using the block for PATS and FG?

As someone not really educated on kicking technique, which is better as far as skill?

I’ve always thought the same about using a field goal kick as your punt. Like Tilghman said worse that happens if not blocked is it’s a touchback

Boyle County has a freshman kicker rated the #1 kicker in the nation for his class. He made a 51 yard field goal in 8th grade last year. I dont know his stats but he is up there.

Oh and Jackson Smith is the freshman Boyle County kicker.

Without question, other than QB, maybe the single most important position(s) on the field.

 

Field position is even more underrated. If you have a punter that can flip the field and pin people, a kicker that everytime you score is going to put it in the end zone or cause people to start inside or around their 20 and a place kicker who is automatic + can get you 3 when needed?

 

If you have even just an average offense and defense you will win games if you have these guys kicking the ball. Have an offense and defense that is above average to go along with this? You’re in business.

 

You watch the people playing deep in November and in the finals- they don’t have joe average kickers.

Lance Butler from Tilghman is among the best in the state. He was on the Honorable Mention All State team last season as a Junior and looks much more polished this season.

 

He's got a big leg just like his brother Miles had at Tilghman. Miles will be the starting kicker for Kentucky this season.

 

I believe he made 3 straight from 51 pregame against Liberty last week and has a long of 57 in practice. I don't have his stats in front of me at the moment.

 

He's a very good punter also and I trust that he can make a long field if necessary to win a game when the pressure is there.

 

If you have one of these guys with a big leg, there are lots of times where teams could utilize the high school rule to their advantage, yet you never see it done.

 

If you are in range for a 45-50 yard field goal on say 4th and long, why do teams not let these guys take a shot? If they can cross the goal line, the ball is dead anyways and your opponent takes over on the 20.

 

Not much to lose in certain scenarios like that. If you make it, all the better. I'd like to see more teams give it some thought, Tilghman being one of them.

 

I know you (as you should be) & I are on the Tilghman Train, but having him also? Even more of a reason to have them in the Top 5-6 (and I don’t care what happens this week against Mayfield- Tilghman could lose and still should be in one of those spots).

I know you (as you should be) & I are on the Tilghman Train, but having him also? Even more of a reason to have them in the Top 5-6 (and I don’t care what happens this week against Mayfield- Tilghman could lose and still should be in one of those spots).

 

I agree!

I agree!

 

Play nobody’s and move up spots while getting your schedule crapped on?

 

Or

 

Play formidable opponents and heaven forbid lose....in August or anytime early in the season? Everybody wonders if you’re really worth a crap.

 

Join me in the crowd that has a good chuckle at that.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.