U.S. Open - Anyone watching?

PP1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the setup today? Was it too hard?

No today was perfect. If you hit great shots like Tommy Fleetwood did all day you can post a really low number. But at the end of the day there were only 4 rounds of 67 or better with the majority still over par. That’s US Open golf. They watered the hell out of the greens last night and this morning to soften them up so players had a chance to keep the ball on the green with a wedge in their hand. That’s all anyone asks for. Stretch out the length, mow the rough really high, and have the greens rolling at a 13+. What I don’t want to see if the greens be rolling at a 13 but be dried out to the point where it starts to get shiny and the ball doesn’t roll straight. There are two reasons you should miss a putt, the speed wasn’t good or the putt wasn’t on line. Saturday there was a third variable that players can’t account for no matter how good of a putt they made and that’s not fair. Couple that with pins on 2 holes that were next to impossible to stop a ball at it makes for an unfair playing situation.

No today was perfect. If you hit great shots like Tommy Fleetwood did all day you can post a really low number. But at the end of the day there were only 4 rounds of 67 or better with the majority still over par. That’s US Open golf. They watered the hell out of the greens last night and this morning to soften them up so players had a chance to keep the ball on the green with a wedge in their hand. That’s all anyone asks for. Stretch out the length, mow the rough really high, and have the greens rolling at a 13+. What I don’t want to see if the greens be rolling at a 13 but be dried out to the point where it starts to get shiny and the ball doesn’t roll straight. There are two reasons you should miss a putt, the speed wasn’t good or the putt wasn’t on line. Saturday there was a third variable that players can’t account for no matter how good of a putt they made and that’s not fair. Couple that with pins on 2 holes that were next to impossible to stop a ball at it makes for an unfair playing situation.

Maybe they should play the US Open indoors so greens dont dry out so bad.

Maybe they should play the US Open indoors so greens dont dry out so bad.
They purposefully dried out the greens. Did you watch any of the Open? The greens were brown because they hadn’t been watering them. Usually the greens at Shinnecock are as green as Augusta.

They purposefully dried out the greens. Did you watch any of the Open? The greens were brown because they hadn’t been watering them. Usually the greens at Shinnecock are as green as Augusta.

I watched it today, was at UK all day yesterday. Course looked fine to me, the greens did look rough, but no different then the courses here right now with no rain for a week.

I did see a lot of pro golfers unable to make shots today. One guy hit it in the weeds 3 straight shots.

Good post! Agree 100%

I watched it today, was at UK all day yesterday. Course looked fine to me, the greens did look rough, but no different then the courses here right now with no rain for a week.

I did see a lot of pro golfers unable to make shots today. One guy hit it in the weeds 3 straight shots.

If you don’t understand the difference between greens in NKY and Shinnecock then what are we even doing here?

I watched snippets of the Open on both Saturday and Sunday, probably a total of 2 hours. I have a question and an observation.

What is the final verdict on Phil Mickelson's antics -- will he feel real heat from the PGA and/or his sponsors and peers?

I wish Fox would have at least occasionally shown the scores and standings of all the golfers. It seems that all they showed were the top 5.

I watched snippets of the Open on both Saturday and Sunday, probably a total of 2 hours. I have a question and an observation.

What is the final verdict on Phil Mickelson's antics -- will he feel real heat from the PGA and/or his sponsors and peers?

I wish Fox would have at least occasionally shown the scores and standings of all the golfers. It seems that all they showed were the top 5.

I thought it was awesome. Golf "people" need to chill a little bit. It's frustrating to putt on an ice rink. He just expressed his frustration.

I am not a big fan of the Fox coverage at all. I was annoyed by several of the commentators, the shot tracer being overused, the muting of the crowd sound after each putt, and the clink of the ball as it fell into the cup.

I am not a big fan of the Fox coverage at all. I was annoyed by several of the commentators, the shot tracer being overused, the muting of the crowd sound after each putt, and the clink of the ball as it fell into the cup.

Agree with this. The crowd screaming is the best part of golf on TV.

I don't think Phil gets any real heat or punishment for what he did. I think you might see the rule get addressed and changed sometime soon. What he did goes against the spirit of the game, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. It didn't affect the outcome of the tourney, and will leave the mind of the public pretty quickly. Phil will remain a popular draw, and let's be honest, his time has really just about passed. He probably won't win anymore majors, and even tournament wins are going to be tough for him to come by. He's still one of the greats, and the USGA's silly course set up on Saturday is the bigger story than Phil's antics.

Personally I thought it was funny and didn’t really have an issue with it. By rule he probably should have been DQed. I doubt he’ll face much backlash from the tour or sponsors. I honestly wish he would have spared the lame excuse and just said, “yeah I was ticked off and decided to let out my frustration and I really didn’t feel like walking down the hill after the ball.”

I thought it was awesome. Golf "people" need to chill a little bit. It's frustrating to putt on an ice rink. He just expressed his frustration.

I agree I just wish Phil would have said that instead of coming up with his lame excuse.