Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cardinals 5 Tigers 0

Featured Replies

That would be me. My favorite team is Detroit and 2nd favorite, is St. Louis.

 

NWO and several others on here, also like the Cardinals. The time it takes to play and the image problem of enhancements with Baseball, will take a while to overcome to the national market. Playing in the frigid temperatures, doesn't help either.

 

We are a society who likes to watch the mighty fail and underachieve and don't appreciate, the team concept....but rather only follow the superstar. If Pujols gets 2 hits but doesn't hit any HR's, the first comment is "he's struggling"....

 

Also, with the "reality" shows that flood the airways, I'm not sure the normal Neilsen viewer is watching anything of value but rather, someone else's misery....

 

Now that is somebody who "gets it".

  • Replies 82
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the the Yankees/Mets had made the series, I would have watched about 5 innings. I have not missed many innings in this one.....Sorry Strike3, I did have to watch Dancing with the Stars last night.

There was an article in one of the papers I read at the beginning of the playoffs that said that Fox chose to run the Mets and Yankee games all in primetime because of the NY market and wanting to put those games in primetime with the largest market in the country.

 

We have the League championship going on and the biggest story was Joe Torre and whether he would come back or not. I don't really think that the fans of the A's, Tiger's, Cardinals and definitely Mets felt that was the lead story but for some reason it was. Put the Tigers in NYC and they get that pub that the Yankees get.

 

I was thinking more b/c how many Tigers fans are there in Seattle, LA, Houston, Minneapolis, Orlando, etc.

 

Now think how many Yankees/Red Sox fans there are in those same places...

 

If the Yanks and Sox aren't in the playoffs/World Series, from here on out the ratings will be horrible.

If the the Yankees/Mets had made the series, I would have watched about 5 innings. I have not missed many innings in this one.....Sorry Strike3, I did have to watch Dancing with the Stars last night.

 

And I guarantee the ratings on a NATIONAL level would have been higher than the Tigers/Cards series.

They promote the Yankees because of the NY market, not necessarily because that is what the rest of the country wants. Same reason why the Yankees and Mets were in primetime for the early rounds of the playoffs.

 

I am sure there are a bunch of Tigers/Cardinal fans out there that care.

 

I disagree. The NY market does have a big deal to do with it of course, but the Yankees and Red Sox are just a lot more appealing to the average guy. It may not be what baseball die-hards want, but unfortunatley for MLB, that is a very small percentage of people. Fact is, if a NY team or Boston is not in it, baseball is going to do poorly in the ratings... which is not a good thing.

If the the Yankees/Mets had made the series, I would have watched about 5 innings. I have not missed many innings in this one.....Sorry Strike3, I did have to watch Dancing with the Stars last night.
.....:scared:

 

I can't believe, you would watch those absolutely gorgeous female dancers, over baseball.... :D

Yes, I've met some great Baseball people through BGP and hope, to meet some in person.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I was thinking more b/c how many Tigers fans are there in Seattle, LA, Houston, Minneapolis, Orlando, etc.

 

Now think how many Yankees/Red Sox fans there are in those same places...

 

If the Yanks and Sox aren't in the playoffs/World Series, from here on out the ratings will be horrible.

Populations

NYC metro area 18.7 million

 

Seattle 3 mil

LA 13 mil

Minn 3 mil

Houston 5 mil

Orlando under 2 mil

Total 26 mil.

Take out LA and the 4 big cities you mention don't even come close to matching the TV market of NYC. The NYC market is TWICE as large as the Chicago market. That even surprised me.

http://www.citypopulation.de/USA-Metro.html

 

 

And you might have something with Red Sox/Yankees. But explain why then Fox chose to put the Mets in prime time too? Are there scores of Mets fans living throughout the country? But yet they were in the same place on the TV schedule as the Yankees, in primetime.

.....:scared:

 

I can't believe, you would watch those absolutely gorgeous female dancers, over baseball.... :D

I would not watch the Jerry Springer show.....But he is absolutely hilarious on this show.

I disagree. The NY market does have a big deal to do with it of course, but the Yankees and Red Sox are just a lot more appealing to the average guy. It may not be what baseball die-hards want, but unfortunatley for MLB, that is a very small percentage of people. Fact is, if a NY team or Boston is not in it, baseball is going to do poorly in the ratings... which is not a good thing.

Please see post #38. It is about dollars and that is the only thing it is about and the dollars for Fox is NYC market.

Now that is somebody who "gets it".

 

I get it. Baseball is in trouble and is on it's way to NHL land where hardly a soul watches and the station it is carried on is mostly watched by guys with guns.

 

That's the sign of the times for TV. Reality is big. The thing that most people don't get is that sports is real "reality TV". Drama, watching grown men cry when losing the biggest game of their lives, and the winners take in all the accolades.

:banana: :banana: :banana:
....:thumb:

 

Another thing I've never understood, even when I was young...is the starting time. Make them more conducive to the young people and not have games ending near midnight, when they are all asleep.

 

To be popular, the sport must target the young audience and not force them to miss the end, after going to bed in the 7th inning.....How many know of young men or women, who wake up in the morning and eventually ask "Who won the game last night".

 

Me personally, I'm enjoying this series and the teams. More thought the Cardinals had a chance at the beginning of the season and no one, including myself thought Detroit would be here....

 

I would not watch the Jerry Springer show.....But he is absolutely hilarious on this show.
I wouldn't open my door, to listen to Springer on my porch but his dance partner, is nearly perfect in my book....:thumb:
....:thumb:

 

Another thing I've never understood, even when I was young...is the starting time. Make them more conducive to the young people and not have games ending near midnight, when they are all asleep.

 

To be popular, the sport must target the young audience and not force them to miss the end, after going to bed in the 7th inning.....How many know of young men or women, who wake up in the morning and eventually ask "Who won the game last night".

 

Me personally, I'm enjoying this series and the teams. More thought the Cardinals had a chance at the beginning of the season and no one, including myself thought Detroit would be here....

 

I wouldn't open my door, to listen to Springer on my porch but his dance partner, is nearly perfect in my book....:thumb:

 

I remember 5th and 6th grade, classes being cancelled in the afternoon to catch the first few innings of the REds in the WS. And then them calling the busses and you wondering what happened while you were on the bus. Rushing into the house after getting off the bus to see what the score was.

....:thumb:

 

Another thing I've never understood, even when I was young...is the starting time. Make them more conducive to the young people and not have games ending near midnight, when they are all asleep.

 

To be popular, the sport must target the young audience and not force them to miss the end, after going to bed in the 7th inning.....How many know of young men or women, who wake up in the morning and eventually ask "Who won the game last night".

 

Strike, have you been spying on my house?;) Even though we're in the Central Time Zone, my 9 year old has to go to bed every night around the 7th inning. All through the DS, CS, and the WS, we wake him up by telling him who won the night before!

But wouldn't that entice more fans to watch...:sssh:
Not me! I watched it back in 1968 and I didn't like the outcome!!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.