2018 NFL Draft

I just think it's funny to see them continuously screw up every year. How many times can one team blow their QB pick before getting it correct?

Man! You could be the guy wearing the black hood during the Inquisition :lol2:

What is John Dorsey's track record on drafts and quarterback selection? Has he ever run a draft where he drafted a quarterback?

I don't think he ever had the #1 pick. He did draft Mahommes and brought Alex Smith to KC.

The Browns have drafted a QB #1 only 1 time, in 1999 and it was Tim Couch. The highest they have drafted a QB is at #22, Weeden, Quinn, and Derek Anderson (?). They had opportunity at #2 but traded that away. So this is the first #1 QB they will take. You can't really compare their other QB draft picks to this opportunity. And you can't really say that "Cleveland always blows the QB pick" because it is a new guy in charge. He was not around when the other picks were taken. So here' s a brief take on Dorsey's past drafts:

The Chiefs made the playoffs in three of Dorsey’s four years in charge. They replaced him with Brad Veach.

Dorsey’s noteworthy acquisitions include cornerback Marcus Peters, receiver Tyreek Hill and two Northeast Ohio home runs that went over the heads of those in the Browns front office: tight end Travis Kelce (87) of Cleveland Heights and running back Kareem Hunt of Willoughby South (pictured above).

Dorsey also found the Chiefs a quarterback shortly after being hired, when he pried Alex Smith from the 49ers. Kansas City also is stocked with a potential QB of the future in Patrick Mahomes. New Browns General Manager John Dorsey -- what to know about him | cleveland.com

Another web site said he has a knack for finding O-lineman and CB. Mixed bag at QB.

BTW, the last few days there has been a story that Dorsey hasn't told Hue Jackson who he is going to pick at #1. I don't believe the story. It's just one of those dumb interest-generating rumors that get started. So it is funny that the other rumor floating around is that Head Coaches and GMs from outside the Browns organization have the inside scoop on their planned first pick.

The press contradicts itself in printing a story covering every possibility so they can say they were right when the pick is actually made. NO ONE KNOWS except those inside the building and they ARE NOT TELLING.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Mayfield goes first i could see the Giants taking Darnold. If Darnold goes first i thibk its Barkley or Chubb.

That's an interesting thought, perhaps the Browns feel more of a need at RB than at edge. If they have Mayfield and Darnold pretty close, they take Mayfield then get a good shot at Barkley rather than Chubb.

That's an interesting thought, perhaps the Browns feel more of a need at RB than at edge. If they have Mayfield and Darnold pretty close, they take Mayfield then get a good shot at Barkley rather than Chubb.

I have no clue what the Giants, or Browns for that matter, are thinking. This is going to be interesting. A lot of misinformation being pour out.

Report today says the giants are looking to trade down.

I agree on Darnold.

I think #4 is Barkley, or if he's gone then it goes to Buffalo for their 2 firsts and and a later pick.

May trade it to Buffalo no matter what.

Hopefully Mike McGlinchey is still there at 12. Otherwise I would think Denzel Ward or Vita Vea. Maybe trade to New England for their 2 firsts if McGlinchey is gone.

Then Sony Michel or Calvin Ridley at 22.

Would Have 23 & 31 also if they made the second trade.

Edited by coldweatherfan

As a Bengals fan I hope the Browns take Darnold instead of Mayfield. I watched Mayfield play against 2 NFL defenses in college and torched them both. I watched Darnold play one of those same defenses and only score 7 points, have 4 turnovers, and look borderline clueless at times. Darnold has a huge upside, but he’s the biggest gamble in the draft at the QB position besides Lamar.

I'm not so sure he's the one making the decisions. He wasn't given a say in the HC, so I see no reason to think he's got the final authority in who they draft either.

Dorsey is definite;y making the personnel decisions. As I mentioned, there was a story in Cleveland this week that Dorsey knew who he would take with the 1st pick and he wasn't going to tell Hue until they were on the clock. It's a bogus story, but it illustrates that Dorsey is the man in control of personnel. He was the brains behind all the off-season trades and FA pick-ups. THat is why Haslem brought him to Cleveland.

Last year, it was Sashi Brown. After the McCarron trade debacle, Jackson made sure everyone knew he was not happy with personnel acquisitions and he blamed Sashi.

As a Bengals fan I hope the Browns take Darnold instead of Mayfield. I watched Mayfield play against 2 NFL defenses in college and torched them both. I watched Darnold play one of those same defenses and only score 7 points, have 4 turnovers, and look borderline clueless at times. Darnold has a huge upside, but he’s the biggest gamble in the draft at the QB position besides Lamar.

You literally can’t not talk about Lamar. It’s adorable. :lol2: