Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Experimental rules to be used in NIT

Featured Replies

Experimental rules to be used at NIT | NCAA.com

 

The 2018 NIT will feature four rules modifications:

 

​• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).

​• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.

​• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.

• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

 

I like all 4 changes especially the quarters instead of halves. If it is like the women's game it will cause the games to actually go faster as the bonus resets at the end of each quarter resulting on less FT's each game thus speeding up the game.

 

What does everyone else think about these rules...which may make it to all games very soon?

I don’t like 1, 2, and 4.

I like all of them.

  • Author
I don’t like 1, 2, and 4.

 

Any particular reason?

 

1 is to make the 3pt shot a bit tougher and to open up the floor for movement

2 is also to spread the court a little more and open up the lane area

4 is to speed up the game

Unfortunately, they'll be used in the NIT where no one will ever see them.

  • Author
Unfortunately, they'll be used in the NIT where no one will ever see them.

 

I think it's just a stepping stone to them rolling over to the rest of NCAA BBall.

I like 3 and 4. The others I an do without for the sole purpose of schools will have to make these changes to their courts.

Experimental rules to be used at NIT | NCAA.com

 

The 2018 NIT will feature four rules modifications:

 

​• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).

​• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.

​• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.

• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

 

I like all 4 changes especially the quarters instead of halves. If it is like the women's game it will cause the games to actually go faster as the bonus resets at the end of each quarter resulting on less FT's each game thus speeding up the game.

 

What does everyone else think about these rules...which may make it to all games very soon?

 

I don't really see the need for 1; teams are still going to shoot the 3 and it's not too easy for the college level. Same for #2; I don't see the size and athleticism equal to that of the NBA so why widen the lane? I'm indifferent on #3; I like college to be different but if they change, no big deal (the FT differential will be minimal). Somewhat indifferent on #4 too, minimal change.

Maybe change it to one player on each team on the floor has to be blindfolded.

I think all 4 are AWESOME!

The fact that they don’t go to 4 quarters is insane.

I like going to 4 quarters.

 

I'm not sure how I feel about moving the three point line or extending the lane. There are good and bod to both.

 

I hate the idea of a 20 second shot clock. As you lower the time on the shot clock, I think basketball evolves to more street ball. It becomes more about being athletic than it does about being skilled. Games will be more easy to predict who wins, because teams with the best athletes will consistently win against teams with lesser athletes when forced to shoot within 20 second intervals.

 

I think it also takes away a lot of coaching strategy because it severely limits what a coach can do when he is limited to 20 second possessions. One of the things I enjoy most about sports is the coaching strategy. How do you game plan against a team that should beat you. With a 20 second shot clock, there isn't much an inferior team can do. As that component gets minimized, sports become more boring. I personally don't enjoy the NBA and as college basketball moves to become more like it, I will watch more high school ball and less college ball.

  • Author
I like going to 4 quarters.

 

I'm not sure how I feel about moving the three point line or extending the lane. There are good and bod to both.

 

I hate the idea of a 20 second shot clock. As you lower the time on the shot clock, I think basketball evolves to more street ball. It becomes more about being athletic than it does about being skilled. Games will be more easy to predict who wins, because teams with the best athletes will consistently win against teams with lesser athletes when forced to shoot within 20 second intervals.

 

I think it also takes away a lot of coaching strategy because it severely limits what a coach can do when he is limited to 20 second possessions. One of the things I enjoy most about sports is the coaching strategy. How do you game plan against a team that should beat you. With a 20 second shot clock, there isn't much an inferior team can do. As that component gets minimized, sports become more boring. I personally don't enjoy the NBA and as college basketball moves to become more like it, I will watch more high school ball and less college ball.

 

It's only reset to 20 seconds if the offensive team grabs the rebound...otherwise it resets as normal.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.