Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Another Pit Bull Attack in Kentucky

Featured Replies

Until I have the details I asked for, I'll just have to assume the pit bull felt threatened. There's no other reason it would kill a person.

 

This. Animals, for the most part, aren't like humans. They don't kill or attack just for the sake of killing or causing harm. They are either hungry, sick, or defending themselves.

  • Replies 135
  • Views 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Until I have the details I asked for, I'll just have to assume the pit bull felt threatened. There's no other reason it would kill a person.

Maybe we should ask the lady they attacked.

Fine.

 

Did the "victim" put their hands at their side to signal they weren't a threat? Did they turn their back on the dog and make themselves a fish in a barrel? Did they try telling the dog to "sit" or "stay?" Did they make their teeth visible, which is an aggressive action, to the dog? Did they do anything prior to the attack that the dog could have perceived as threatening?

 

I need more details.

 

If I'm on my own porch, feeding my own pets, I don't give 1 rip how or why these dogs may have felt threatened. I shouldn't have to tell a dog anything in that situation. If I'm on my front porch and flip a random person off as they walk by does that give them justification to attack and kill me?

Until I have the details I asked for, I'll just have to assume the pit bull felt threatened. There's no other reason it would kill a person.

 

Who cares if the dog felt threatened and what difference does that make?

This. Animals, for the most part, aren't like humans. They don't kill or attack just for the sake of killing or causing harm. They are either hungry, sick, or defending themselves.

 

Luckily I've never been outright attacked but I have had dogs charge at me barking and certainly making me feel threatened when I've done nothing more then walk by.

This. Animals, for the most part, aren't like humans. They don't kill or attack just for the sake of killing or causing harm. They are either hungry, sick, or defending themselves.

 

...or they're a breed that's been trained to kill. The way terriers have been. Have you ever seen a terrier take a toy in their mouth and whip it back and forth from side to side really quickly? That's an instinct that has been bred into the dog. Terriers were bred for hunting vermin like rats. They were trained to go into holes, burrows, and tight spaces, grab ahold of the animal, and violently shake the hell out of it until it was dead. Terrier puppies instinctual do that with their toys. It's not because they're hungry, it's not because they're sick, and it's not because they're defending themselves. It's because when we, mankind, bred them as dogs, we bred the instinct to kill and maim into those dogs.

...or they're a breed that's been trained to kill. The way terriers have been. Have you ever seen a terrier take a toy in their mouth and whip it back and forth from side to side really quickly? That's an instinct that has been bred into the dog. Terriers were bred for hunting vermin like rats. They were trained to go into holes, burrows, and tight spaces, grab ahold of the animal, and violently shake the hell out of it until it was dead. Terrier puppies instinctual do that with their toys. It's not because they're hungry, it's not because they're sick, and it's not because they're defending themselves. It's because when we, mankind, bred them as dogs, we bred the instinct to kill and maim into those dogs.

 

I've seen all different sorts of breeds shake toys in their mouth from side to side. Most wouldn't harm a fly unless threatened.

 

So you're saying it's the way they're trained? I agree. Improper training of dogs is the #1 cause for violent attacks. That's not on the dog. That's on humans.

That's absurd. Should we also enforce 100% abstinence of ownership of firearms too? The # of pit bull involved attacks is such a minuscule % of the total pit bull population. To ban them because of the handful that attack is ridiculous.

Is my neighbors gun going to come into my yard and shoot me if its owner neglects it?

Is my neighbors gun going to come into my yard and shoot me if its owner neglects it?

 

You're proving my point. It's not the dogs fault, it's the owners. They're to blame, not the dog.

You're proving my point. It's not the dogs fault, it's the owners. They're to blame, not the dog.

 

What's the difference? You can't take a life back. Everyone knows that it is the owner's fault, but these things cause too many injuries, and too many owners are negligent.

This. Animals, for the most part, aren't like humans. They don't kill or attack just for the sake of killing or causing harm. They are either hungry, sick, or defending themselves.

 

Ok, so you would feel comfortable with them in your neighborhood?

What's the difference? You can't take a life back. Everyone knows that it is the owner's fault, but these things cause too many injuries, and too many owners are negligent.

 

So do guns. Don't hear you clamoring that we need to get rid of them.

Ok, so you would feel comfortable with them in your neighborhood?

 

My father-in-law lives next door to the owner of a pit. Another pit owner a few houses down. Have never felt the least bit threatened there. So to answer your question, I'd have no issue with them in the neighborhood (in fact, now that I think about it, I believe the dog on the corner of my street is a pit mix).

So do guns. Don't hear you clamoring that we need to get rid of them.

 

I've never said anything about guns and that is a different topic. I'm not a gun guy and I don't get why anyone needs an automatic weapon. However, keeping in that vein, if we want to vet Pit Bull owners and require training for a license to own them, then have at it. Just not in my neighborhood. All it takes is one bad day and this thing will change your life forever. I am not against animals, but human's created this breed, we need to contain their availability.

My father-in-law lives next door to the owner of a pit. Another pit owner a few houses down. Have never felt the least bit threatened there. So to answer your question, I'd have no issue with them in the neighborhood (in fact, now that I think about it, I believe the dog on the corner of my street is a pit mix).

 

Not one bit? Ok. I wouldn't let my daughter out with her friends running around just in case they excite the dogs.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.