Newport Central Catholic 71 St. Henry 51

Nice game right out of the gate by the Breds. The former starting 5 from the 6th,7th, & 8th grade Holy Trinity Jr High teams (Hall, Pangallo, Iles, McDaniel, & Posey) outscore the Cru 54-51.

Both teams were less than stellar from the charity stripe tonight.

Fr. Wyatt Vieth from St. Henry is going to be one heck of a player.

Each time I watch the Breds Jalen McDaniel play, the more I REALLY like this kids game, tireless worker who just gets the job done.

NewCath 19-16-19-17---71

St. Henry 08-09-13-21---51

NewCath

Hall 18

McDaniel 13 (4/4 FT's)

Luken 9

Pangallo 8

Posey 8

Iles 7

Gearding 3

Kremer 3

Glaser 2

NewCath is off until this Saturday, when they travel to Spencer Co. to take on Lou. DeSales in the Taylorsville Tip-Off Classic.

Rough start to the year for the Crusaders. Good thing NCC wasn't making their open shots in the first half or it could of been really ugly. At times it seemed St.Henry was playing 100 mph but going nowhere fast. Congrats to the Breds on the win.

New. Cent. Cath. 71

St. Henry 52

Newport Central Catholic 19 16 19 17 71

St. Henry 8 9 13 22 52

New.Cent.Cath. (1-0) -- Hall 18, Posey 8, Gearding 3, Pangallo 8, Kremer 3, Iles 7, McDaniel 13, Glaser 2, Luken 9.

St. Henry (0-1) -- Berling 6, Vieth 8, Schaefer 3, Machcinski 3, Croyle 9, Becker 7, Westerbeck 7, Brockman 4, McQueeney 5.

Read more here: Latest high school boys' basketball scores | Lexington Herald Leader

How did St. Henry's fab freshmen look in the JV game? Any chance of any of them getting Varsity minutes other than Vieth?

St. Henry jumped all over the Breds early, and the NewCath comeback fell short. Cru have nice players on JV.

JV final was.....

St. Henry 42

NewCath 40

Nice game right out of the gate by the Breds. The former starting 5 from the 6th,7th, & 8th grade Holy Trinity Jr High teams (Hall, Pangallo, Iles, McDaniel, & Posey) outscore the Cru 54-51.

Both teams were less than stellar from the charity stripe tonight.

Fr. Wyatt Vieth from St. Henry is going to be one heck of a player.

Each time I watch the Breds Jalen McDaniel play, the more I REALLY like this kids game, tireless worker who just gets the job done.

NewCath 19-16-19-17---71

St. Henry 08-09-13-21---51

NewCath

Hall 18

McDaniel 13 (4/4 FT's)

Luken 9

Pangallo 8

Posey 8

Iles 7

Gearding 3

Kremer 3

Glaser 2

NewCath is off until this Saturday, when they travel to Spencer Co. to take on Lou. DeSales in the Taylorsville Tip-Off Classic.

Did Jefferson not play?

How did St. Henry's fab freshmen look in the JV game? Any chance of any of them getting Varsity minutes other than Vieth?

Tyler Kaiser looked very solid, he'll be the last of the 3 to get to varsity, but I'd bet he gets some varsity minutes before the year is over.

Jude Bessler battled foul trouble, but was very active, has nice size, and will be on Varsity before Santa falls down a chimney. My hunch.

I realize this season is going to feel a bit like the Bataan Death March for SHDHS fans, but be buoyed by the fact that the future is very bright for the Cru. I could see a Regional Semifinal for the Cru in 2 or 3 years. The 7th grade group is solid for Cru-kids, and the 9th grade is their best in YEARS, so in 3 years, when they are in 10th and 12th, the Cru will be very solid depending on the development of the kids in those classes.

I will also add, this year's Cru team could REALLY use the Kunstek kid....what a difference that kid would make in terms of size and athleticism. Coach Faust has to see that kid roaming the halls and just shake his head.