South Warren at Bowling Green

Purple88

Who wins this game?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game?

• South Warren (7-1)
    • Bowling Green (6-2)

In the greatest rivalry to never play each other, South Warren will travel across town to finally take on Bowling Green. Seems fitting though that this is a District game and the District Championship is on the line.

At the first of the season, not many including myself gave South Warren a lot of promise in getting this win. However, that was before Mr. Gavin Spurrier came to town and the young man has taken over at QB for the Spartans and done an outstanding job! Throw in multiple threats on the outside for him to throw to and you have a very good offense. The defense starts with All-State DT Jacob Lacey. The only negative I have for Lacey is a recurring shoulder injury that flared up again in their last game vs Ravenwood, TN. Will he be healthy for this game? That's a big question I have for the Spartans. He will start but will he finish?

For BG, most of the players who have been injured and are scheduled to be back this year are back so that's good. Biggest problem for BG is likely that las meaningful down they played was a month ago vs Owensboro. Not much competition since. That will change Friday night!

El Donaldson Stadium will be electric!!! Get out the stadium early sports fans and experience a Great Night of High School Football! Good luck to both teams and no injuries!!!

The game we've been waiting for is finally upon us. Heck, the weather is even going to be perfect. This game will be good for both schools for many years to come.

I'm calling this as the first of two games that the Purples and Spartans will play this year. I think both BG and South will beat Christian County and Red Devils.

As far as the game is concerned, I'm going with the Purple and Gold. Turnover battle will determine a lot. Game has potential to start out ugly due to the hype and excitement of the players. If Spartans has a handful of (key) players that play both ways it should prove beneficial for Purples.

Unless I am not aware of some speedster on South, I would think that overall team speed would also lean toward BG.

WILL South Warren try to stick with their style of play? Or will they be purposely try to keep BG offense off field? Honest question. Not sure what they will do. I do know that like the Purples, Spartans will give it all they got.

Purples 2 losses were due to being outmatched by St X huge O-line and PRP schemes and speed. Although Purples suffered 2 L's, they did outplay both of those squads in 2nd half.

I could go on and on with several different angles, takes and bias opinions but I will refrain. We can all agree on that it is a much anticipated matchup.

Purples 48

Spartans 21

South Warren is better than most people think. They have blown out the same teams that Bowling Green has blown out. They know what this game means to both fan bases. I think this game will be close. The Purples are finally healthy and I think that will give them the edge. Bowling Green 28-21.

In order to win this game, you must be sound in all 3 phases. Offense, Defense, and Special Teams. I like SW on Offense with Spurrier, and I like SW on Defense, but I think BG has the edge on Special Teams, and all it takes is one big break to change the all valuable MO in this game. SW has to stay away from their dumb penalties, and BG O line and D Line will have to play well. Coaching will play a big role with regards to adjustments and because of that I like BG to win. But anyone who thinks this will be a blow out will be sadly mistaken, unless one team turns the ball over to many times.

BG 24 SW 21

I feel like some will be surprised with the outcome of this one. The Purples are good, no doubt about that, they have won the games that that they were supposed to win by a large margin in points, but something is missing this season. The Purples offense isn't producing the crazy video game numbers that it has in the recent past. If the Spartans can limit their penalties, I really believe they will pull off the upset.

That said, with this being the first game of what will likely be a long term rivalry, I hope it goes to as many overtimes as possible. I wish I was in that part of the state because it should be one of the most entertaining games in what I consider "rivalry week" for Kentucky high school football.