The State of 2A Football

MHSCardinal

#1 CAL puts up an impressive performance by knocking off very tough 3a #3 E'Town 24-9..

#2 Danville makes a statement with a dominating performance over a solid 5a Pulaski Co 34-14..

#3 Desales was idle, but has some very impressive wins thus far in the season..

#4 Mayfield puts up an early onslaught on a solid 6a McCracken Co and hold them off with a 49-27 win..

#5 LCA, like Mayfield, gets out of the gate quickly and holds off a very good 3a rival Lexington Catholic 56-36, making a statement in the process..

In the bottom half of the Top 10:

Glasgow gets its 1st taste of defeat to a much improved and undefeated Allen Co Scottsville in a 38-35 thriller...

NCC takes it on the chin to a very strong 3a #2 Belfry 54-29..

Somerset, after a heartbreaking loss last week, bounces back with a statement 20-9 win over a tough 1a #2 Hazard..

OB Catholic bounces back after last weeks county rival loss upending a typically solid S.Spencer, In team..

W.Verona gets a big and much needed win over Covington Holy Cross..

What does all this mean? Well, in my opinion, the Top 5 teams have separated themselves from the pack while Somerset and W.Verona should move up the food chain.. Not sure what's in store for the Big 5 in the coming couple of weeks, but, it's sure going to be fun to see what happens.. Regardless, one things very clear, 2a football is alive and well in 2017 !!

What's everyone's opinion of the state of 2a football right now and what's your thoughts on what's going to happen in the next couple of weeks?? Who'll be the 1st to taste defeat this year? Can't wait till next Friday already..

I agree, ATLCat.. The teams ranked 3rd thru 5th, in most years, would be a solid #1 with the wins they've put up.. Even the teams like Somerset, NCC, Glasgow, OB Cath and W. Verona could make a strong case for a Top 5 in most years.. While 2a is Top heavy with the Top 5, but, even the bottom 5 of the Top 10 are really good teams, maybe not great, but, very solid..

#1 CAL puts up an impressive performance by knocking off very tough 3a #3 E'Town 24-9..

#2 Danville makes a statement with a dominating performance over a solid 5a Pulaski Co 34-14..

#3 Desales was idle, but has some very impressive wins thus far in the season..

#4 Mayfield puts up an early onslaught on a solid 6a McCracken Co and hold them off with a 49-27 win..

#5 LCA, like Mayfield, gets out of the gate quickly and holds off a very good 3a rival Lexington Catholic 56-36, making a statement in the process..

In the bottom half of the Top 10:

Glasgow gets its 1st taste of defeat to a much improved and undefeated Allen Co Scottsville in a 38-35 thriller...

NCC takes it on the chin to a very strong 3a #2 Belfry 54-29..

Somerset, after a heartbreaking loss last week, bounces back with a statement 20-9 win over a tough 1a #2 Hazard..

OB Catholic bounces back after last weeks county rival loss upending a typically solid S.Spencer, In team..

W.Verona gets a big and much needed win over Covington Holy Cross..

What does all this mean? Well, in my opinion, the Top 5 teams have separated themselves from the pack while Somerset and W.Verona should move up the food chain.. Not sure what's in store for the Big 5 in the coming couple of weeks, but, it's sure going to be fun to see what happens.. Regardless, one things very clear, 2a football is alive and well in 2017 !!

What's everyone's opinion of the state of 2a football right now and what's your thoughts on what's going to happen in the next couple of weeks?? Who'll be the 1st to taste defeat this year? Can't wait till next Friday already..

I agree with everything you wrote except: McCracken is 1-3 and far from solid or even good and Pulaski is also 1-3 and I don't think they're all to solid for a 5A squad based on results.

That said you have to love the top teams of 2A right now.

Cal and Danville are out in front as pace-setters with a pack of really good teams trying to reel them in. I think Cal and Danville are what they are for the most part. Sure, they will get better, but I think Mayfield has the most potential and upside of the group. Going to be real fun watching these horses come down the stretch in Nov and Dec.

Cal and Danville are out in front as pace-setters with a pack of really good teams trying to reel them in. I think Cal and Danville are what they are for the most part. Sure, they will get better, but I think Mayfield has the most potential and upside of the group. Going to be real fun watching these horses come down the stretch in Nov and Dec.

Don't count out a Thoroughbred in that mix.