Kentucky 2017

PurplePride92

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Southern Miss game will set the tone and as you all have said will not be easy. With that said, I look for them to pull it out as it would be catastrophic to drop two consecutive openers to the "fighting Brett Favre's".

Southern Miss was supposed to win the conference last year and went 7-6 with losses to Old Dominion and Charlotte. Lost their QB and several other players. I will be be..... cheering on UK.

As I recall, Kentucky dominated the 1st half against Southern Miss last year. Southern Miss scored late in the 1st half and then came out to dominate the 2nd half. After the game, Southern Miss's head coach (former coordinator at UK) stated he was almost embarrassed that it took him until half time to realize that Kentucky hadn't changed its defensive signals since the year before. Southern Miss dominated the 2nd half and beat Kentucky in Lexington.

I think Kentucky is far more talented than Southern Miss but it's Kentucky football, so a loss would not be shocking.

As I recall, Kentucky dominated the 1st half against Southern Miss last year. Southern Miss scored late in the 1st half and then came out to dominate the 2nd half. After the game, Southern Miss's head coach (former coordinator at UK) stated he was almost embarrassed that it took him until half time to realize that Kentucky hadn't changed its defensive signals since the year before. Southern Miss dominated the 2nd half and beat Kentucky in Lexington.

I think Kentucky is far more talented than Southern Miss but it's Kentucky football, so a loss would not be shocking.

Just took time for Gran too take over. I said last year he was the fix Stoops needed.

Do hardcore UK fans expect a win at Southern Miss to open the season? I don't know what Southern Miss has coming back, so forgive me if that is a dumb question.

I am a fan of UK football. Not sure if I qualify as hardcore. I don't think I am a hardcore UK football fan. That being said I do expect them to win at Southern Miss but only because I expect UK to be better this year than what they were last year.

Just read Stoops said Johnson is the starter at qb week 1.

UK had only three players out of the 78 chosen on the SEC media preseason team. I have to think that the postseason team will have more.

• 2 weeks later...

I was browsing the magazines at Walmart last week and looked through a few of the college pre-season rankings. Most of them said good things about UK, that this would be Stoop's best team since his arrival, but still had the Cats ranked in the bottom half of the conference. Most only had them ranked above Vandy and a couple other teams. However, nationally a few had them ranked in the 40s.

I suppose playing in the SEC is always going to be an uphill struggle.

Lynn Bowden still not eligible.

Lynn Bowden is not yet on UK’s campus, but Vince Marrow says ‘he’ll be here’

The only Kentucky Wildcat that isn’t in town for the start of fall training camp is arguably the one that UK fans are most excited to see on the field this season.

Lynn Bowden — the top recruit in the Wildcats’ class of 2017 — isn’t on campus yet, Mark Stoops said Sunday, but the UK coach said he is expected to be in Lexington later this week.

Vince Marrow, the program’s recruiting guru and the primary recruiter on Bowden, also didn’t show any concern about the star prospect’s future with the team during an interview with the Herald-Leader on Sunday afternoon.

On how he expects the running back workload to break down …

“You know, you really never know that until you get going with the bumps and bruises. I think Benny [snell] has got to continue to just understand the offense and continue to get better. As he does that, we’ve got to develop that thousand yards that we lost and so we’ll continue to put Sihiem [King] and A.J. [Rose], keep moving them up and put them in the thick of it with the ones and twos and then see where Bryant Koback ends up because he wasn’t with us in the spring. Give him an opportunity to get up there too and get some reps when you want to rest those other guys.”

On if he’s going to rest Benny Snell, Jr. for self-preservation …

“I think the one thing about running backs is that you’ve got to watch them all the time with how much are they getting hit in practice. I really do try to manage that. There will be some days where he doesn’t get as many reps and we’ll see how he feels and then we’ll go from there because he’s going to give everything he’s got and he’s going to use that body to the fullest.”

On if there is any particular quality he is looking at in the player to play beside Benny …

“Production. You know, a guy that will produce. It’s not just about running. It’s about the past protection, and that’s the hardest thing. Bryant Koback will find out as this thing gets a little bit faster. That was the biggest challenge for Benny as well, but he picked it up. I think that as they produce, those guys will get more playing time. A.J. made a big jump from his first year to the second year, and so we’ll see how the improvement goes with A.J. as well.”

More here: Eddie Gran Talks Benny, Barker And UK's Growing Offense