Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Specialization in sports

Featured Replies

I keep seeing the argument against specialization more and more these days and the more I hear and read about specialization the more I get bothered by those who preach against specialization. I think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

 

I saw a good chain of tweets about specialization and it was a perspective you don't hear often if ever at all. To paraphrase it basically said that when people talk about kids playing multiple sports they mention it most during professional drafts and they speak glowingly on how 26 of the 32 first round draft picks played multiple sports in high school. The obvious reason for that is that those guys were the elite athletes and elite athletes love to compete. Not to mention, every coach in the building wants those elite athletes to play on their specific team to help them out. You hear coaches all of the time saying they want their kids to play multiple sports but IMO that's a load of hogwash. Those football coaches don't want to see their stud QB tear his rotator cuff on the pitching mound. They want him at spring practice. Those basketball coaches don't want to see their stud SG tear his ACL during a meaningless first round playoff game in November. They want him at practice on October 15. Those baseball coaches don't want to see their golden arm pitcher have shoulder surgery in December after he played through the injury the whole football season. They want to see him have surgery in September so he can be healed fully by March.

 

Now don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with all with kids playing multiple sports. Especially if they are without a doubt the elite athletes who can play and excel at multiple sports. I just don't want hear this stuff about how playing multiple sports "helps" kids out more than specialization does. Some kids simply aren't athletic enough to play multiple sports or maybe they just don't want to. It seems we spend more time telling kids that they shouldn't just play one sport when in all actuality that may be what the kid wants to do. I know kids who played multiple sports in high school and didn't play any sports at all in college. I know kids who played one sport in high school and played one sport in college. I know kids who played multiple sports in high school and will play multiple sports in college. I know kids who didn't play any sports in high school and played sports in college and I know kids who played one sport in high school and played an entirely different sport in college.

 

Now don't get me wrong. I definitely understand and have seen how playing multiple sports have helped some kids. If a kid is good enough to play multiple sports I am all for it. I think Will Bramel is an excellent example of multiple sports success as he is an outstanding offensive lineman who has a bright future playing D-1 college football. One of his best attributes is most likely his footwork. A skill he developed on the basketball court. Another good example is Trevon Faulkner of Mercer County who averages double digit rebounds as a wing player and has proven to have exceptional ball skills as defensive back for the Mercer County football team as he had 7 or 8 interceptions and only played about 7-8 games last season. Granted the football folks at Mercer County drive me nuts wanting him so badly to play football in college but he has shown to have the talent and athleticism to play either football or basketball in college.

 

I understand the reasoning behind playing multiple sports and I definitely understand the numbers behind certain injuries when it comes to specialization but can we quit lying to the kids and acting like playing multiple sports is a path to greatness in sports. Either you are good enough to play sports at the next level or you aren't. Playing multiple sports has nothing to do with that. The best athletes and best players will most likely always play multiple sports. At the end of the day that is the truth. So can we quit shaming the one sport kids about their decision to play one sport and just let the chips fall where they may?

 

 

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. :D

  • Replies 39
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I've understood this debate is that the issue most people have with specialization is not that a kid chooses to play one sport, but rather that the adults/parents/coaches in his or her life pressure the kid to play one sport. I'd find it hard to believe that anybody would have an issue with a kid "specializing" if that kid really just prefers one sport over another and chooses to focus his or her time on it.

Never will get agreement on this one. Good debates to be had, though. IMHO let the kid decide what he/she wants to do. I am good either way. Get the adults out of that part of it, unless the kid asks.

  • Author
The way I've understood this debate is that the issue most people have with specialization is not that a kid chooses to play one sport, but rather that the adults/parents/coaches in his or her life pressure the kid to play one sport. I'd find it hard to believe that anybody would have an issue with a kid "specializing" if that kid really just prefers one sport over another and chooses to focus his or her time on it.

 

I've heard that also but to date I've never met a parent that has forced their kid to play one sport. I've heard and seen coaches from all sports say the right thing publicly and privately they say how they really feel but I can't say that I have ever heard of a coach truly forcing a kid to play one sport. I hear rumors about different stuff coaches have said but I'd always encourage a kid to do what they feel and not worry about what they think their coach will do if they played multiple sports.

You make some good points.

 

My key question is at what age do you specialize?

 

Second question, is it ever good or necessary to specialize in just one sport to the exclusion of all others?

  • Author
You make some good points.

 

My key question is at what age do you specialize?

 

Second question, is it ever good or necessary to specialize in just one sport to the exclusion of all others?

 

I think another good question is what is the reasoning behind someone specializing?

 

To answer your first question I am not sure there is a good age to specialize. I think a lot depends on opportunity and their goals from just playing one sport. I think their plans in the offseason make a difference also. If a kid plays one sport and in the offseason doesn't play AAU and focuses on skill development and body development is that a bad thing? Is that still specializing? What about kids that go to camps across the country. Is that still specializing? In football they don't have an AAU Circuit like basketball so is that specializing when kids attend football camps all summer long?

 

Your second question is a great question. When that multi-sport athlete gets to college their focus will solely be on the sport paying for their scholarship. My answer kind of plays into your first question. At what point should the focus become on one sport? In college when that focus is one sport or a year or two before college? I'm not sure if it is good necessary to specialize in one sports at the exclusion of others but I don't have a problem with it either way.

I think playing multiple sports does help overall fitness and athleticism. Being able to work on different skill sets and muscle groups help prevent injury and develop overall conditioning. I'm not a fan of specialization, because I think too many kids believe it's the path to college sports, something ultimately 95% of the kids that play HS sports never end up doing. The other issue I have is that I've seen many specialize way too early. I cringe when I hear about the 10 year old that gives up everything to focus on just one sport.

 

Regardless, you can't force kids to play in multiple sports or to not specialize. I've seen some really good teams broken up by kids deciding to specialize. I've got two sons...one played multiple sports (baseball/football) and ended up being decent in both, but probably wouldn't have benefited at all from specialization. My youngest specialized (now wrestling only), and probably did benefit some from specialization as he'll probably have an opportunity to wrestle in college (which he may or may not do).

Response to PP92 post #6 above ... I will counter your second paragraph with this point. Any athlete who is good enough to get a scholarship to play a sport in college does not need to specialize (one sport only). You made a similar comment in your opening post. Further, I don't think specialization (play one sport only) will cause an athlete to get a scholarship that they would not have received if they played another sport.

 

I don't believe in specialization. I think athletes have a better high school sports experience if they don't specialize. Further, some athletes discover they are better at their second sport as they mature. I believe more one sport athletes would say they wish they had kept playing their second sport in high school than say they are glad they only played one sport.

I'm don't care if your kid plays 1 sport or 20. But when you allow them to play 1 sport 12 months a year you're an idiot. If they are only going to play 1 sport, great but they have to have time off. AAU and travel baseball is probably the 2 worst offenders but select soccer isn't far off. IMO if your child just likes to be playing something, pick 2 and alternate them with a little time off from both.

And for the record, any high school coach that punishes their players if they play another sport has zero respect from me. I know of one at Henderson currently that openly tells kids and parents if they are on the team they cannot play another sport. When they do they are lose playing time.

Never will get agreement on this one. Good debates to be had, though. IMHO let the kid decide what he/she wants to do. I am good either way. Get the adults out of that part of it, unless the kid asks.

 

This.

And for the record, any high school coach that punishes their players if they play another sport has zero respect from me. I know of one at Henderson currently that openly tells kids and parents if they are on the team they cannot play another sport. When they do they are lose playing time.

 

If I were AD ... thanks for coming in and meeting with me today coach. I have heard you are pressuring our students to be one sport only and punishing them if they aren't. That will stop now. If you don't agree with this, I think it's better that we part ways.

If I were AD ... thanks for coming in and meeting with me today coach. I have heard you are pressuring our students to be one sport only and punishing them if they aren't. That will stop now. If you don't agree with this, I think it's better that we part ways.

I agree but I guess someone making those decisions doesn't.

I'm don't care if your kid plays 1 sport or 20. But when you allow them to play 1 sport 12 months a year you're an idiot. If they are only going to play 1 sport, great but they have to have time off. AAU and travel baseball is probably the 2 worst offenders but select soccer isn't far off. IMO if your child just likes to be playing something, pick 2 and alternate them with a little time off from both.

 

I somewhat agree, but my question would be what do you consider 12 months a year?

 

Some may know by following my posts, and I know PP knows...I coach basketball and work with a lot of the athletes at the local high school where I live. I have started off season basketball workouts...actually started them several weeks ago, not long after basketball season ended. So far I have a handful of kids coming, we try to do something a couple of times a week, 1 to 1 1/2 hours each session, focusing right now mostly on ball handling and shooting. I have a couple of basketball only kids coming right now, I have a few kids playing baseball that come when they can, sometimes after a baseball game or practice.

 

Point being, if someone is "basketball only", plays over the summer, works out/practices a couple of times a week (with some weeks missing due to coach work schedule, vacation, etc.) would you consider that 12 months a year? Personally I don't. Now if a kid is in the gym 3-4 hours almost every day playing/conditioning/drills, and just never seems to get a break that I see and that would take a toll on the body and would not be good for the kid. So I guess the definition I am looking for is what is considered "12 months a year".

I'm don't care if your kid plays 1 sport or 20. But when you allow them to play 1 sport 12 months a year you're an idiot. If they are only going to play 1 sport, great but they have to have time off. AAU and travel baseball is probably the 2 worst offenders but select soccer isn't far off. IMO if your child just likes to be playing something, pick 2 and alternate them with a little time off from both.

 

Even if that one sport is golf?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.