Luke Kennard declares for NBA Draft

Hellbird

One of the few Duke players I really like. I wish Luke the best. I have a soft spot for Luke as he is my daughters boyfriends next door neighbor so I had to follow his career. Still wish Cal would have offered him especially knowing his family are huge UK Fans.

So I'm driving my boy home from

college for spring break the other week and we are listening to a podcast from barstool sports and it was pretty funny. This was right after Duke got knocked out and they were talking about their hatred for Grayson Allen and their guest was saying that Duke has always had white players that every Duke hater pointed to as the players they hated most going back to Laetner and Reddick etc. and he said all the Duke haters can thank Luke Kennard because years from now when Duke fans are arguing with non Duke fans and saying they just hate so and so because they were white then we can all say "you're wrong, we liked Luke Kennard" so thank you Luke for that lol. Thought it was funny.

One of the few Duke players I really like. I wish Luke the best. I have a soft spot for Luke as he is my daughters boyfriends next door neighbor so I had to follow his career. Still wish Cal would have offered him especially knowing his family are huge UK Fans.

My understanding was that Cal did offer Luke Kennard but he felt Duke was the better fit for him.

They did. We UK fans thought he was a lock because his grandfather lives in Georgetown.

Not sure that growing up around the BBN, he might have felt pressure to go elsewhere; especially given he was considered a lock to go to UK? That or he felt he'd rather go where you only have to worry about scoring vs. playing defense--:D

Either way, good luck to the young man; and I hope he's the second coming of JJ Reddick/Kyle Korver.

Strike while the iron is hot. Good decision.

All he had to do was look at Allen's situation - there is no guarantee productivity and value will increase with additional time in school.

He will be a very good pro - he can shoot and create his own scoring opportunities. It may take a year or two, but he will be productive at the next level.

I don't know why but I didn't really think he'd leave either. Didn't realize he was potentially considered a first round pick.

Middle of the 1st round. Doubt his stock had much room to rise. Made a very smart decision IMO.

Much like JJ Redick, Kennard was an easy guy to like from the outside looking in.