Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Final posssesions are horrendous.

Featured Replies

Its early so bear with me. But the ending of both the Michigan Vs Oregon and WVU vs Gonzaga games had absolutely horrendous possessions. Michigan down one with 9 seconds and they dont even try to drive? Yes Oregon had two fouls to give, so drive and try to get fouled while shooting. Or get fouled, and come up with a play quickly. Instead they waste time and take the longest shot possible.

 

I know West Virginia had multiple three point attempts, but with 15 seconds why not drive for a quick two. Gonzaga missed some FTs down the stretch. Instead they end up dribbling out the clock after two tough 3s.

 

There are more examples out there. Is it coaching? or lack there of? Is it players just thinking they are Steph Curry? it drives me nuts.

That's the first thing I said after watching all of the games last night. Just absolutely awful execution. The Michigan/ Oregon game made no sense why they didn't try and attack the basket and get something going to the rim. Makes zero sense.

That's the first thing I said after watching all of the games last night. Just absolutely awful execution. The Michigan/ Oregon game made no sense why they didn't try and attack the basket and get something going to the rim. Makes zero sense.

 

 

I think all buzzer beaters have missed in this tournament. Still should be as exciting but for some reason it isn't. It is exciting and I am on the edge of my seat, but it is different than if they made it

West Virginia's was inexcusable, but I disagree about the Michigan/Oregon one. Michigan's offense centers around the three point shot. Their senior leader had a great look. It just didn't go down.

I hate what I call the "all or nothing" attitude/philosophy. Yeah, I understand you don't want to give the other team the ball back with a lot of time on the clock. But, I've seen multiple occasions where the offense gets the rebound off the missed shot, only to have time run out before they can shoot again. To me, I'd rather put a shot up with 10 seconds left and possibly have to play defense (either tied or with the lead), than to let the entire game come down to one shot as time expires.

Dribble, dribble, dribble ... jack up a three pointer.

 

That is the apparently the final play for virtually every D1 basketball team. Doesn't matter if you are down by 1, 2, 3 or the game is tied. That is the final play.

West Virginia's was inexcusable, but I disagree about the Michigan/Oregon one. Michigan's offense centers around the three point shot. Their senior leader had a great look. It just didn't go down.

The problem with that play was not UM, it was Oregon failing to use their fouls.

 

Last night was a perfect example as to why the NCAA tournament is exciting.... for all the wrong reasons (h/t Skip Bayless). Kids in college do not understand time, situation, or spacing. I need to drastically lower my expectations when I watch these games and remember that these are 19-21 year old kids that really have no clue of what is happening.

Dribble, dribble, dribble ... jack up a three pointer.

 

That is the apparently the final play for virtually every D1 basketball team. Doesn't matter if you are down by 1, 2, 3 or the game is tied. That is the final play.

 

I saw a stat where when players did this they had much less success than actually running a set. I'm not sure if it was a NCAA or NBA stat. I was thinking NBA.

 

Run a dang play.

Three additional things:

 

1. If you are down by 1 or 2 points, you don't need a three. Why do all these teams settle for an often contested 3?

 

2. If you are trailing in the game, attack! Stop dribbling around wasting time if you are losing. Be aggressive, attack the rim or drive and kick but stop wasting 10 or 20 seconds dribbling around killing clock when you are behind in the game.

 

3. Pay attention to the shot clock. Get a two for one when you have the ball with 50 seconds to go. If you are trailing and don't get a shot off by the 40 second mark, you deserve to lose. College teams/coaches seem clueless on this concept.

Three additional things:

 

1. If you are down by 1 or 2 points, you don't need a three. Why do all these teams settle for an often contested 3?

 

2. If you are trailing in the game, attack! Stop dribbling around wasting time if you are losing. Be aggressive, attack the rim or drive and kick but stop wasting 10 or 20 seconds dribbling around killing clock when you are behind in the game.

 

3. Pay attention to the shot clock. Get a two for one when you have the ball with 50 seconds to go. If you are trailing and don't get a shot off by the 40 second mark, you deserve to lose. College teams/coaches seem clueless on this concept.

 

#3 is one of my biggest pet peeves. Too few coaches get the 2 for 1.

#3 is one of my biggest pet peeves. Too few coaches get the 2 for 1.

 

Agreed for sure on this one.

I give Michigan somewhat of a pass. They had to know that they'd get fouled on any drives, and it would have taken more time than they had to draw two more fouls and then still be able to drive. I consider it something of a miracle they got a clear look without Oregon fouling them on that.

 

West Virginia's issue was not going ahead and playing the foul game. There was a heck of a lot of time when they started going for the tie. Not having a timeout hurt them badly.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.