Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2006 IS Seeded Playoffs

Featured Replies

Since we're about half way through the regular season for most schools I would like to open this up to debate again.

 

I'm not sure that most people know that the playoff structure has been changed. The regular season means squat except for seeding purposes. We will no longer play against the other district in our region for the 1st two rounds of the playoffs.

 

By seeding we'll play within our District. After the 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3 the following game will decide the District Champion. The 3rd game of the playoffs will obviously be for the Regional Title.

 

IMO I think this stinks!!!!! This is not Basketball nor should we stand for this!!!

  • Replies 44
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I like it the old way.

I don't care for it either...I hate playing the same team twice, but, now you will at least play 2 teams twice. Secondly, it takes away from the accomplishment of winning your district and now its just a higher seed

My understanding is that regions no longer exist, so there can't be a regional championship. After the district championship round the next round is just the third round/state quarterfinals, with district winners paired based on a blind draw (someone feel free to correct me on this).

 

I have mixed feelings about the new playoff system. I won't miss 3-hour-plus trips to a first round playoff game, but it was kinda neat to keep track of the "other" district to see who you might be matched up with in the playoffs.

  • Author
My understanding is that regions no longer exist, so there can't be a regional championship. After the district championship round the next round is just the third round/state quarterfinals, with district winners paired based on a blind draw (someone feel free to correct me on this).

 

I have mixed feelings about the new playoff system. I won't miss 3-hour-plus trips to a first round playoff game, but it was kinda neat to keep track of the "other" district to see who you might be matched up with in the playoffs.

 

Heck, the best way I can relate from this end of the State is there will never be a Rockcastle vs Bell County Region EVER again.

 

I guess with the 6A Class coming 2007 thats fine in the eyes of the KHSAA, But people forget that the KBOE has the last say.

I thought the change in the playoff structure was the first bad decision the KHSAA made where football is concerned. As a fan, I like seeing the districts match up with each other ... it can expose teams to programs and styles of play they may not ever see otherwise.

I thought the change in the playoff structure was the first bad decision the KHSAA made where football is concerned. As a fan, I like seeing the districts match up with each other ... it can expose teams to programs and styles of play they may not ever see otherwise.

 

Word......Haven't heard that in a while have ya??

 

 

The new playoff structure is ridiculous, to say the least.

 

BUT......Gas prices dictated a huge amount of the decisions about the new playoff format, and financially I understand the move.

 

Do I like it.........NO

 

Do I understand it.......SOMEWHAT

Travel was cited as one reason for the change, but I don't think it had to do with gas prices as much as finances ... the idea was that more "local rivalries" in the playoffs will bring bigger crowds and gate receipts.

Travel was cited as one reason for the change, but I don't think it had to do with gas prices as much as finances ... the idea was that more "local rivalries" in the playoffs will bring bigger crowds and gate receipts.

 

 

First I had heard of that reason, but in some cases that may have been the point.

 

Personally, in the region I follow, the playoff "showdowns" are looked forward to as much as any district rivalry. And it cuts out the upset factor in the sense that "region 1 #3 seed beating the region 2 #1 seed", for example.

Setting up the playoffs this way really minimizes your regular season, once you get in there is a slight advantage to be #1 but no advantage to be a #2 over a #3.

The way this is set up you might as well let everybody in and seed just like b-ball. I am not saying that is what I would like to see,but just that this really minimizes those regular season rivalry games. They mean far less knowing you will see the same team in the playoffs in a month or so.

My understanding is that regions no longer exist, so there can't be a regional championship.

 

They still exist, but not in the old way. The drawings have already taken place for the next two years, and this time it defines regions (something they didn't do immediately last time). It's found here.

The way this is set up you might as well let everybody in and seed just like b-ball. I am not saying that is what I would like to see,but just that this really minimizes those regular season rivalry games. They mean far less knowing you will see the same team in the playoffs in a month or so.

Teams play district games last of season now. So you will see several games where teams will play each other 2 weeks in row or twice in 3 weeks.

They still exist, but not in the old way. The drawings have already taken place for the next two years, and this time it defines regions (something they didn't do immediately last time). It's found here.

 

Thanks DragonFire. That's a big help!

 

I'm not sure I'm wild about those District 1 vs. District 5 trips. But, I guess if you get that far you should just feel fortunate you're still playing.

Travel was cited as one reason for the change, but I don't think it had to do with gas prices as much as finances ... the idea was that more "local rivalries" in the playoffs will bring bigger crowds and gate receipts.

 

 

Yet with the new 6 class system the amount of travel will increase dramatically.:creepy:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.