Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New head coach at GRC

Featured Replies

Well in the saga that is Clark County football they have chosen to go with Dr. Oliver Lucas. Coming back to Lexington area will be good for him, BUT, is this a great hire? The man is almost 70 years old. Will they be looking again in a couple years? Best of luck to all involved, who will be his assistant coaches, any of those on staff now stay on?

I don't know Coach Lucas, but I've never really been one that worries about the age thing & not really sure why much is made out of it to be honest.

 

In college and the NFL (both are levels that are much more demanding needless to say); many of the greats are in their 60's-70's. I don't need to list them all, we all know who they are (Nick Saban, Rick Pitino, Bill Snyder, Tom Coughlin, etc just to name a few).

 

To go a step further; many of these guys not only coach well into their 60's-70's w/ success, but they often times don't hit their prime until somewhere in their 50's.

 

And, I get it...the real issue is that with those guys is a huge financial incentive to keep coaching; whereas if you are that age and coaching HS football, then you are mainly just doing it as pure hobby and can walk away from it at anytime.

 

But, I don't think this age thing in terms of losing coaching ability is all that we make it out...as a matter of fact, I think it's probably the exact opposite...especially IF they are allowed/able to put together a solid staff of younger-go getters who are humble enough to put their egos aside and learn from somebody who has likely forgotten more football than they have learned up to their point(s).

Edited by Harry Doyle

Or is it simply the fact that older guys have simply put in enough time on all levels that they tend to be able to land in better jobs? Not saying Saban (for example) is a bad coach, but Alabama wouldn't be taking a shot on a PJ Fleck type guy.

 

I think the age thing is more of an issue when it comes to guys who are out of touch, and refuse to break from what they did 25 years ago. I've known of older guys who are still able to field good teams and do good things, but don't exactly know how to handle or relate to the young players they have. They don't connect to them and ultimately don't know how to connect with them. For some teams, that isn't really needed. For some, it is.

This is a great hire for GRC. Coach Lucas is a fantastic coach who has a great desire to improve young men's lives. His age is not a factor at all, he is very driven and great players coach. Best of luck to Coach Lucas and GRC!

Mixed emotions with this one for sure, but that's all i will say about that.

 

I will say that I would think that he tries to get some of his old assistants from Bryan Station to come along with him to GRC, but not sure how viable that will be to do since it is a much smaller school system that what Fayette County has to offer in teacher/para placements.

 

Good luck to the program, I know that the community wants a competitive team back on the field.

Mixed emotions with this one for sure, but that's all i will say about that.

 

I will say that I would think that he tries to get some of his old assistants from Bryan Station to come along with him to GRC, but not sure how viable that will be to do since it is a much smaller school system that what Fayette County has to offer in teacher/para placements.

 

Good luck to the program, I know that the community wants a competitive team back on the field.

 

Doesn't he have 2 of his top Station assistants still with coaching jobs in Louisville?

Doesn't he have 2 of his top Station assistants still with coaching jobs in Louisville?

 

Once he left Lexington I didn't keep up with him too much, so I'm not sure.

Interesting development. I know when he left Manual he said he was planning to keep coaching around Kentucky...this will be an interesting job for him to take seeing as how much re-building is required at GRC.

GRC hit a home run with this hire! I know that I am partial. I Coached with Coach Lucas for 11 years and he was nothing but fantastic. He is brilliant at rebuilding programs and will get GRC on track in no time. I hate it for me, because I was going to get to be his boss this year! Lol but happy that he found a program to lead, it's what he does best!

As a life long GRC fan, this excites me to no end. He has a phenomenal reputation and this will have a great effect on the entire program!

0105weboliver1-622x412.jpg

 

 

GRC hires Oliver Lucas as new football coach

 

 

The new George Rogers Clark High School football coach thinks the school is a “sleeping giant.” Lucas stepped down as coach of DuPont Manual at the end of the 2015 season after six years. Oliver rebuilt Manual, enjoying a 44-24 record during his time there. He was 44-9 against teams that weren’t Male or Trinity.Lucas has coached at the high school and college levels. As a prep coach, he’s 173-73 overall and won four state titles as a head coach or assistant. As a college assistant, he was part of two Big 8 title winners, one national championship and one Orange Bowl win.

As lofty as his coaching credentials, Lucas was selected just as much — if not more so — for his reputation as an educator, GRC athletic director Jamie Keene said.

Lucas has a BA in biology, a MA in education administration and a PhD in leadership and management.

“We’ve chosen a proven rebuilder, a proven motivator and a proven winner with a track record of success,” Keene said. “He’s twice been named teacher of the year. He will tell you he’s an educator who coaches.”

Keene said he hoped Lucas could be a presence in the school as soon as the paperwork is finished.

 

GRC hires Oliver Lucas as new football coach | Winchester Sun

Looks like GRC got a pretty good man.

Congrats to Coach Lucas!

 

He was my daughter's science teacher last fall at Manual and was a terrific teacher.

He did a fine job IMO at Manual with their team, but couldn't get over the T, H and X mountain. But who can do that anyway?

 

Best of Luck at GRC!

Looks like GRC got a pretty good man.

 

Yes I believe we do.

 

Congrats to Coach Lucas!

 

He was my daughter's science teacher last fall at Manual and was a terrific teacher.

He did a fine job IMO at Manual with their team, but couldn't get over the T, H and X mountain. But who can do that anyway?

 

Best of Luck at GRC!

 

I am excited to have him and hope he can turn our program around. Great news that he is a good teacher, very important to get both.

which staff members will remain?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.