Strong to WKU?

dawgs83

I'd assume Strong gets the money whether he's employed next season or not, and Texas would get a credit for the $800K from WKU (in your scenario).

I could be wrong but I don't think that is exactly how that works. As stated below I think he loses a percentage of his buyout and it may very well be more than the 800K WKU is paying.

Texas fires coach Charlie Strong after three losing seasons

Under a contract that was set to run through Jan. 23, 2019, Strong will be owed a buyout of about $11.2 million that would be paid out on a monthly basis through the end of the contract term. However, Strong is obligated to make reasonable efforts to obtain other employment. If he does, Texas’ obligation to him will be offset by an amount equal to 50% of the total compensation Strong receives from his new job.

Texas also will be facing the prospect of considerable payouts to Strong’s assistants. Five of his nine on-field assistants are under contract through Jan. 31, 2018, three through Jan. 31, 2019. Texas will be on the hook for just under $6.75 million.

Offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert is due $850,000 per year through Jan. 31, 2019, defensive coordinator Vance Bedford $760,000 in base salary through Jan. 31, 2018. Gilbert, Bedford and other assistants have the same mitigation obligations that Strong does, along with the same buyout offset arrangement.

I've seen a few reports that Strong wants to take a season off

Couldn't blame him. A mental refreshing year after the job he just had sounds great, plus he'd get paid to do nothing.

Urban took a tour of a lot of different colleges in between Florida and Ohio State, seeing what different schools do and such.. Take a year off and do that