What happens if...

ggclfan

God forbid, something happens to Trump (he dies) before becoming sworn in? I assume Pence would be named President in his place? Is that accurate? Also, I think Trump and Pence are flying in the same plane to some events right now (Cincy the other night for one). If so, that is a terrible idea. I thought the POTUS and VPOTUS never traveled together in case something tragic happened. What if Trump's plane went down tomorrow with Trump and Pence being killed? Who is our next president?? I really don't know but no matter who is the next president under that scenario, the country would be a complete mess...

God forbid, something happens to Trump (he dies) before becoming sworn in? I assume Pence would be named President in his place? Is that accurate? Also, I think Trump and Pence are flying in the same plane to some events right now (Cincy the other night for one). If so, that is a terrible idea. I thought the POTUS and VPOTUS never traveled together in case something tragic happened. What if Trump's plane went down tomorrow with Trump and Pence being killed? Who is our next president?? I really don't know but no matter who is the next president under that scenario, the country would be a complete mess...

They did not fly to or from Cincinnati together.

They are already flying separate, I heard Pence mention that a few days ago.

Thanks JD (and Sportsfan). I got bad information...someone told me they got off the plane together in Cincy.

I do still wonder what would happen if they were both killed before the inauguration...

Currently the Speaker of the House becomes President if something happens to both the President and Vice President elect. I'll go with this scenario, unless Congress acts according to the power it has been given by the 20th Amendment, Section 3.

This allows Congress to legislate who would fill the void.