Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The UNC Academic Scandal is Unique

Featured Replies

For quite a while we've been hearing about the UNC issue and asking why the NCAA hasn't done anything like they did to , say, Notre Dame today.

 

The UNC case is unique.

 

When the NCAA goes after a school it's because athletes received something not available to the other students.

 

UNC had a fake class that ANY student - athlete or tuba player or chemist - could take.

 

So if the NCAA goes after UNC for general academic issues such as a fake class it could lead to the proverbial slippery slope.

 

The NCAA is solely about athletics. It's not about education. To penalize a school for an education problem would be outside of their purview.

 

I'm not sure if we will ever see UNC athletics penalized.

For quite a while we've been hearing about the UNC issue and asking why the NCAA hasn't done anything like they did to , say, Notre Dame today.

 

The UNC case is unique.

 

When the NCAA goes after a school it's because athletes received something not available to the other students.

 

UNC had a fake class that ANY student - athlete or tuba player or chemist - could take.

 

So if the NCAA goes after UNC for general academic issues such as a fake class it could lead to the proverbial slippery slope.

 

The NCAA is solely about athletics. It's not about education. To penalize a school for an education problem would be outside of their purview.

 

I'm not sure if we will ever see UNC athletics penalized.

I guess where I'm a bit confused is the eligibility of those athletes. If they were in fake classes shouldn't they be ruled as ineligible?

If a teacher gives fake grades or creates fake courses for athletes to keep them academically eligible, they can by NCAA rules be ruled ineligible. However it seems if other students figure out the scam and also partake, then the NCAA is fine with it :no:

I guess where I'm a bit confused is the eligibility of those athletes. If they were in fake classes shouldn't they be ruled as ineligible?

 

 

Did the NCAA say it was fake or UNC? If UNC did then maybe, if NCAA determined it was fake then that is out of their prevue. They can't determine what is and isn't a class.

Did the NCAA say it was fake or UNC? If UNC did then maybe, if NCAA determined it was fake then that is out of their prevue. They can't determine what is and isn't a class.

 

Only issue the NCAA could look at if that is the case, were any student athletes academically eligible solely because they received credit for fraudulent classes. Without those classes would their GPA fall too low to play.

Only issue the NCAA could look at if that is the case, were any student athletes academically eligible solely because they received credit for fraudulent classes. Without those classes would their GPA fall too low to play.

 

 

Who determined them fraudulent, UNC or the NCAA? That is my question.

Who determined them fraudulent, UNC or the NCAA? That is my question.

 

I don't know, but whichever did it the NCAA should have the purview to look at the grades of those student athletes and see if they in any way impacted their being academically eligible.

I am not sure I agree the NCAA should make that determination, thus I think the slippery slope. If UNC says it is a class all students can take then, I think the NCAA can't do a thing. No matter how much baloney everyone knows it is.

I don't know, but whichever did it the NCAA should have the purview to look at the grades of those student athletes and see if they in any way impacted their being academically eligible.

 

Thanks for the spelling, I kept trying to use this spelling and it kept flipping on me in a previous post.

For quite a while we've been hearing about the UNC issue and asking why the NCAA hasn't done anything like they did to , say, Notre Dame today.

 

The UNC case is unique.

 

When the NCAA goes after a school it's because athletes received something not available to the other students.

 

UNC had a fake class that ANY student - athlete or tuba player or chemist - could take.

 

So if the NCAA goes after UNC for general academic issues such as a fake class it could lead to the proverbial slippery slope.

 

The NCAA is solely about athletics. It's not about education. To penalize a school for an education problem would be outside of their purview.

 

I'm not sure if we will ever see UNC athletics penalized.

 

If the bolded were true then why do they care about graduation rates?

I can't understand how UNC maintains it's AAU (Association of American Univerties) membership in light of the scandal. Everything seems a bit seamy about how this situation is being handled on several fronts.

This reeks a lot of the old "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...............Might be a duck"; or in this case fake classes being offered to keep athletes eligible, and wisely not prohibited to other students to offer an "excuse"?? Either very clever or bordering on criminal, depending on your allegiance? Either way, pretty sad if you hold a UNC degree; or paid $100,000+ to send your kid there??

The only perspective I can really add to this and I may be wrong in what I'm about to say if the NCAA or the AAU have already came to dismiss this case. But my thinking as this case is so large and perplexing that it really may take a lot of time to complete due process before coming to a verdict and handing down sanctions.

 

Personally I think UNC need's to have their head handed to them on a silver platter for what they did. A lot of people are upset that nothing has happened to them yet and as mentioned before I'm not a UNC fan. But, this case seems to be so large that it may take some time before there is an end result, so it doesn't upset me at all that the NCAA has not handed down punishment at this time.

 

However if the NCAA cannot come to an end result and UNC does not face any punishment, then to hell with the NCAA and their selfish ways. But I really think this one isn't done yet and people need to wait it out a little longer. I'm not a fan of how the NCAA handles things in general, but I can also understand why this case is taking longer to figure out how to deal with it.

This reeks a lot of the old "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...............Might be a duck"; or in this case fake classes being offered to keep athletes eligible, and wisely not prohibited to other students to offer an "excuse"?? Either very clever or bordering on criminal, depending on your allegiance? Either way, pretty sad if you hold a UNC degree; or paid $100,000+ to send your kid there??

 

Agree 100%. Good post. Especially the point you made about the "excuse" scenario they established.

Did you guys miss the part where the basketball team is no longer named or mentioned in what the NCAA released earlier this year?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.