Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I Never Knew...

Featured Replies

That in the KHSAA's original football classification - which only had 3 classes - all of the schools in Louisville were lumped into their own class. AAA only had two regions, and was comprised solely of Louisville schools.

 

h1xMaFI.jpg

  • Replies 30
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure when that ended. I'm pretty sure in '80 when I played in the 3A finals they still had 4A broken down into Jefferson County and "other."

When did "Henderson" and "Henderson County" merge?

  • Author

Here's the article that went along with the clipping in the original post. From the Courier-Journal on Sunday August 28, 1960.

 

eK1XSZf.jpg

Not sure when that ended. I'm pretty sure in '80 when I played in the 3A finals they still had 4A broken down into Jefferson County and "other."

 

I think the separation of Jefferson County and "other" existed until '87. That was the first year that Jefferson County and non-Jefferson County schools could meet before the championship game.

It really hasn't been that long since Jefferson County finally allowed its public schools to play in other classes rather than making them all play in the largest class. I really liked the day when we had at-large 4a football. I think Greenup may have been the 1st school to represent at- large, but I can still remember strong teams at Boyd, Boone, and especially Henderson as well as Owensboro, Franklin County, Shelby County and Henry Clay during that time.

The 4 class system took over the 3 class system in 1975, I know because Mayfield played Corbin in the 76 AA title game and there were 3 other state title games that year all played at UK's Commonwealth Stadium

From 1959-1974 Class AAA was two regions. Louisville City and Jefferson County.

 

Starting in 1975 all Jefferson County remained Class AAAA. City Region and County Region. There was also State AAAA that consisted of four regions. This lasted until 1986. During that 12 year span the Jefferson County City region won 9 championships. St. X won three, Trinity five.

 

In 1987 four Class AAAA regions were created. Regions two and three were Jefferson County. From 1987 till 2001 there were three Champions from Regions One and Four. The other twelve went the Louisville divided among Male (3), St. X(4), and Trinity(5). From 2001 through 2006 Trinity won 5 of 6 State titles with St. X winning one.

 

The six class system started in 2007. Trinity has dominated.

It really hasn't been that long since Jefferson County finally allowed its public schools to play in other classes rather than making them all play in the largest class. I really liked the day when we had at-large 4a football. I think Greenup may have been the 1st school to represent at- large, but I can still remember strong teams at Boyd, Boone, and especially Henderson as well as Owensboro, Franklin County, Shelby County and Henry Clay during that time.

 

Ashland was the first At-Large champion in 1975. Greenup won it in '77. I'm not quite sure when they stopped crowning At-Large champions.

In the days of a Jefferson County champion in 4A all the playoff games were played at the old Fairgrounds. It was great going out there on Friday and Saturday night of the first round and watching 4 playoff games.

  • Author
Wurtland?

 

Former high school in Greenup County - Wurtland is a little town about a mile or two northwest of Raceland. It merged with Greenup High School and McKell High School to become Greenup County High School in 1972.

Former high school in Greenup County - Wurtland is a little town about a mile or two northwest of Raceland. It merged with Greenup High School and McKell High School to become Greenup County High School in 1972.

 

The crazy thing about that is that geographically Wurtland is much closer to the Raceland/Worthington district than it is Greenup County High School. Greenup County's district is a weird makeup in my opinion. The majority of the population of Greenup County lies in the eastern half of the county, yet the high school is located on the far west end of the county. If I had to take a rough guess, I'd say around half of the kids that attend Greenup County High School live closer to Raceland, Russell, Fairview, Ashland, and Boyd County high schools than they do Greenup County High. Kinda weird when you think about it. I'm sure it's more normal than it sounds throughout certain parts of the state, but it's always seemed odd to me.

Ashland was the first At-Large champion in 1975. Greenup won it in '77. I'm not quite sure when they stopped crowning At-Large champions.

 

I knew that Ashland had won an "at large" championship in '75, had no idea they were the first though. Thanks for that info. :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.