Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bluegrasspreps' Class 4A Playoff Preview

Featured Replies

Thought he was one of those darn Wing T haters

Edited by Bearsby90

  • Replies 35
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The amount of ignorance in that quote is unreal, if a Head coach is winning ball games and making his players better people it does not matter what offense or defense they run.

 

I think my man @Ram was joining in on my fun sarcasm (aka Tounge in Cheek). :thumb:

 

But, yes. To your point; anybody that actually does feel this way isn't very smart. People who complain about a style of play over and over usually don't really know anything about it. They THINK they do, but they don't. They just think what's popular in fitting their bill/agenda, which is usually made up of others that don't know much (if anything) about it.

Edited by Harry Doyle

The amount of ignorance in that quote is unreal, if a Head coach is winning ball games and making his players better people it does not matter what offense or defense they run.

 

You either missed the "tongue in cheek" cartoon or don't know what "tongue in cheek" means.

 

 

I will say this, when we went from 13-2 in 2011 to 3-8 in 2012 the grumbling was quite loud. That all started to go away as the Cats won 6 of their last 7 in 2013 and had that classic old school knock down drag out Regional Championship game at Rash Stadium. Since October 1st 2013 FS has won 80% of its games.

 

No grumbling now.

Edited by macdon

A wise old coach told me 100 years from now the true triple option will be and has been the best offense play ever invented.. I think he was right.. It's also like the wing t you have to work on everyday day and be one smart coach to run it right.

Dang tackle, no wonder Shelby runs the triple for 300 a game and scored 30 something

If you're going to run a true read triple option you better find four or fives kids every year that are 10 years old and start training them to play QB.

It's an outdated offense. Only coaches that don't know how to coach run it, or the coaches too old to learn new offenses.

 

Now, where have I heard this before? It sounds so familiar...

So all folks who prefer something besides the All mighty Wing T are by default ignorant and not smart. Laughable....the forward pass is an ok concept every now and then, and don't give me this we throw the ball 8-12 times a game stuff. There's a difference between passing plays and a passing attack/passing scheme. I don't hate the wing T; I just submit that there is something else a team can do and be successful besides the Wing T.

Watching FS can be boring at times (my opinion, but I love to throw it) and they will have to pass it to make a deep run in the playoffs. The passing game for them this year has been far above what they could do years prior.

 

But in the past couple of years, I've seen them run it to perfection and beat teams 21-17 or 28-27. (Beat a Graves County team in 2014 that beat BG to make it to the state finals comes to mind)

 

It's all about the match ups for them and they absolutely can NOT turn the ball over (2014 2nd round game against Madisonville-North Hopkins is the biggest case in point to that)

So all folks who prefer something besides the All mighty Wing T are by default ignorant and not smart. Laughable....the forward pass is an ok concept every now and then, and don't give me this we throw the ball 8-12 times a game stuff. There's a difference between passing plays and a passing attack/passing scheme. I don't hate the wing T; I just submit that there is something else a team can do and be successful besides the Wing T.

 

On the other hand....You say you don't hate the Wing T offense but...you call it the "All mighty Wing T" which is dripping with sarcasm.

 

A high school coach has to be flexible. You're not always going to have the right blend of athletes to run a spread offense, or a triple option, or Power I. The thing I hear coaches who utilize the Wing T talk about how it can be adapted to fit personnel rather than adapting personnel to fit a system.

 

I've seen a lot of teams trying to run the "spread offense" or "The System" that had absolutely no business doing it and getting their pads blown off week after week.

I don't care about a spread offense or slinging the ball everywhere...sarcasm doesn't equate to hate either....you need balance and from what I've seen most wing T offenses don't have it...eventually someone will make you throw the ball....good luck at point

The wing-t gives teams with lesser talent a chance to compete with or even beat teams with better talent. Less talented teams who are well trained in the offense can use the fakes and misdirection to offset speed and size deficits they may face, at least to a certain extent. But I will say that if a team has a talented QB and receivers, they should throw it more and take advantage of that, since not everybody has that at the high school level. If Bowling Green and Trinity ran the wing-t, they would still beat most everybody else in the state, but maybe not by as big a margin as they do now. They have the athletes to run a passing game in a way that almost nobody else in the state can do consistently. They can jump on people quickly and get the game over with in the first half most of the time. That can be done and is done by some dominant running teams, but it is harder to do, and is usually only done when the running team has a great athletic advantage over its opponents.

 

I have enjoyed watching FS this season, but I still feel that they could have won some of their close games by even bigger margins had they come out throwing the ball. They have an accurate QB and fast receivers with good hands and good speed. I'm hoping they will come out throwing in the later rounds of the playoffs, especially when they know they are facing a team with a good to great run defense. It almost seems like they are throwing away possessions early and you can't afford to do that in the playoffs. Their defense has bailed them out so far, and the offense has shown the ability to come back late when they are behind, but it's better not to have to mount a comeback at all.

I don't care about a spread offense or slinging the ball everywhere...sarcasm doesn't equate to hate either....you need balance and from what I've seen most wing T offenses don't have it...eventually someone will make you throw the ball....good luck at point

 

Yes and if FS gets lucky enough that someone will be Johnson Central! The Golden Eagles will pound them into submission!

The wing-t gives teams with lesser talent a chance to compete with or even beat teams with better talent. Less talented teams who are well trained in the offense can use the fakes and misdirection to offset speed and size deficits they may face, at least to a certain extent. But I will say that if a team has a talented QB and receivers, they should throw it more and take advantage of that, since not everybody has that at the high school level. If Bowling Green and Trinity ran the wing-t, they would still beat most everybody else in the state, but maybe not by as big a margin as they do now. They have the athletes to run a passing game in a way that almost nobody else in the state can do consistently. They can jump on people quickly and get the game over with in the first half most of the time. That can be done and is done by some dominant running teams, but it is harder to do, and is usually only done when the running team has a great athletic advantage over its opponents.

 

I have enjoyed watching FS this season, but I still feel that they could have won some of their close games by even bigger margins had they come out throwing the ball. They have an accurate QB and fast receivers with good hands and good speed. I'm hoping they will come out throwing in the later rounds of the playoffs, especially when they know they are facing a team with a good to great run defense. It almost seems like they are throwing away possessions early and you can't afford to do that in the playoffs. Their defense has bailed them out so far, and the offense has shown the ability to come back late when they are behind, but it's better not to have to mount a comeback at all.

 

The first 2 sentences above explains everything! I understand why FS runs it now!

Yes and if FS gets lucky enough that someone will be Johnson Central! The Golden Eagles will pound them into submission!

 

I'm glad to see you follow a real team. You post more on FS than you do Highland, but I understand I wouldn't follow those guys either.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.