Early Prediction... Best NKY Sophomores 2017.

GoIrish20

The best Sophomore is actually a Frosh... Ethan Kavanaugh, Highlands...

I don't understand - is he a freshman or a sophomore? If he is a freshman, why bring him up in a thread for Sophomores???

'Early Prediction... Best NKY Sophomores 2017.'

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best soph in NKy so far this year is Logan Castleman from Beechwood. He ranks in the top 20 in the state in Ba, Slg, Runs, Sb, Avg, Obp, Hr's...it's not close!

"Not close" is a tad much.

Is he better than Coldiron? Jack is hitting .435 having played the following teams:

Moeller/McNick/Turpin/Badin/Conner twice/Highlands/Collins/Ryle twice/SK/Campbell/Male/Dixie twice/Cooper/Batesville. That's pretty darn strong results against that level of competition.

Then how do you compare batters like those two to POs like Casteel or Cramer from Highlands?

Is he better than Coldiron? Jack is hitting .435 having played the following teams:

Moeller/McNick/Turpin/Badin/Conner twice/Highlands/Collins/Ryle twice/SK/Campbell/Male/Dixie twice/Cooper/Batesville. That's pretty darn strong results against that level of competition.

Then how do you compare batters like those two to POs like Casteel or Cramer from Highlands?

Castleman also runs a 4.5 and has a plus arm. I'll take Logan over any sophomore in NKy.. The kid has all the tools to be a D1 baseball player.

I don't understand - is he a freshman or a sophomore? If he is a freshman, why bring him up in a thread for Sophomores???

'Early Prediction... Best NKY Sophomores 2017.'

Because few expect freshman to enter into a discussion of varsity baseball so the thread is on sophomores. I think that those players who are even younger can be mentioned if they are playing as well as some sophomores.

If the poster had said: "The best sophomore is actually a junior," then that would have violated the point of the thread. The idea is to highlight younger players who are coming on the scene. If there were an eighth-grader who had a 90 mile-an-hour fastball and was playing varsity I'd want to hear about that here.

I am enjoying this thread. It's highlighting the "up-and-comers" who don't often get mentioned and actually will be significantly contributing to their teams. I want to hear about them now so I can watch for them during the season. That's why I started a similar thread in the high school football forum (though I hadn't seen this thread until now).

Because few expect freshman to enter into a discussion of varsity baseball so the thread is on sophomores. I think that those players who are even younger can be mentioned if they are playing as well as some sophomores.

If the poster had said: "The best sophomore is actually a junior," then that would have violated the point of the thread. The idea is to highlight younger players who are coming on the scene. If there were an eighth-grader who had a 90 mile-an-hour fastball and was playing varsity I'd want to hear about that here.

I am enjoying this thread. It's highlighting the "up-and-comers" who don't often get mentioned and actually will be significantly contributing to their teams. I want to hear about them now so I can watch for them during the season. That's why I started a similar thread in the high school football forum (though I hadn't seen this thread until now).

I understand your point and desire to hear of these guys, but I disagree with the strategy. Their were separate threads for SR, JR and Soph. IMO if someone wanted to discuss Freshmen, then a thread should be started for the up and coming freshmen. Same would be true for 8th graders.

That is one of the issues I struggle with here is that far too many threads are hi-jacked, diluted, and can become un-readable as they get off topic. Again, to me, threads are much more informative, effective and readable if they are focused as much as possible on one topic. If I am interested in up and coming Sophomores for example, I don't want to read thru all the posts on freshmen and 8th graders for example.

I get your point. I guess that's why I titled my post in the football forum "NKY up and comers". That way the class didn't matter, just that they were taking a step up in their contribution to the team from last year.

To each his own.

Agreed! Beechwood has played a fairly easy schedule up to this point. Of the 14 KY teams they've played thus far, only 2 have winning records. Not to take away from Castlelman, but it's easy to pad your stats when playing against teams like Holmes, Lloyd Memorial, Villa Madonna and Dayton...especially when you outscore those 4 teams 73-1.

Starting tonight vs CovCath, Beechwood gets into the tougher part of their schedule. The next couple weeks should be very telling for Castelman, and Beechwood as a team.

I

Agreed! Beechwood has played a fairly easy schedule up to this point. Of the 14 KY teams they've played thus far, only 2 have winning records. Not to take away from Castlelman, but it's easy to pad your stats when playing against teams like Holmes, Lloyd Memorial, Villa Madonna and Dayton...especially when you outscore those 4 teams 73-1.

Starting tonight vs CovCath, Beechwood gets into the tougher part of their schedule. The next couple weeks should be very telling for Castelman, and Beechwood as a team.

Just watched Beechwood beat CovCath and Castleman hit the ball hard all over the park. I believe Coldiron struck out a couple times. Both are very good players but like I said I'll take Castleman. You mentioned a kid from CC. The last time I checked they play Silver Grove, Calvary Christian and Brossart who is not very good this year..

I

Just watched Beechwood beat CovCath and Castleman hit the ball hard all over the park. I believe Coldiron struck out a couple times. Both are very good players but like I said I'll take Castleman. You mentioned a kid from CC. The last time I checked they play Silver Grove, Calvary Christian and Brossart who is not very good this year..

Pump the brakes a bit, Rb.

I

Incorrect. CC does not play Silver Grove, and their last 10 have been against:

NCC, Harrison Co., CovCath, Rockcastle County, West Jessamine, Scott, Simon Kenton, Calvary Christian, Beechwood, and Boone County.

A couple of those aren't the toughest, but there is some legit pitching that has been faced in the last 10 games, which were the games referenced in the original post.

You are correct in both of the other young men being fantastic players though...

Edited by #5

Have had the pleasure of watching both Castleman and Coldiron play over a long hot summer against top notch competition. Both are multi-tooled players who can have a 3 or 4 hit game at any moment. Not sure what Castleman is playing in HS but the kid could cover a lot of ground in the outfield. Coldiron played a very strong 1st base during summer ball and his length and athleticism let few if any balls get past him. He's deceivingly fast as well. To only be sophomores both have their best baseball in front of them bringing different types of game to the field.