Trinity 35 St. Xavier 13

PepRock01

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one common statement I hear from Wilford, especially after loses to Male, T, and BG is the opposing team being more physical. I have never been to a Wolford practice, but it doesn't appear that "toughness" is demonstrated from the top.

This morning when I skimmed the game article, I wanted to throw my phone into a wall when I read the statement that "they were more physical than us". Is T better? Yes, and it is what it is, but not being able to match physicality with any opponent is unacceptable.

Tigers have to learn from this and continue to be successful within the district; hope to meet again in the playoffs.

I know that is frustrating - but I for one appreciate his candor and honesty.

He is "telling like it is - in his opinion - and he's the head guy.

I agree with many of the folks here, St X needs to find an identity and I'm not quite sure it is the current offense that we're running. I hate not having tight ends and running north-south with simple play-action passes. Seems to work well with Alabama Michigan and Trinity. Beatty and Coverdale do a great job of running, in actuality, 6-8 different plays out of a lot of different motions and sets and freezing the linebackers with boots and counters.

Not ever using a TE is just plain stupid. TE's create an extra gap to defend in the run game as well as widen the rush edge in pass protection. They provide good red zone receiving targets as well.

Not ever going under center is just playing stupid as well.

First, congrats to Trinity.

Secondly, can we end the Wolford experiment?

I don't think the admin. will let Wolford go any time soon. If they did then that would mean one of the higher up would be admitting they made a mistake in their "coaching search".

I see Wolford stepping down before he is released.

I know that is frustrating - but I for one appreciate his candor and honesty.

He is "telling like it is - in his opinion - and he's the head guy.

I thought that the quotes in the Sunday paper were far worse. He said that they couldn't win if the running back only got three carries in a half. Um, who calls the plays?

I don't think the admin. will let Wolford go any time soon. If they did then that would mean one of the higher up would be admitting they made a mistake in their "coaching search".

I see Wolford stepping down before he is released.

If this does happen do you think X might step outside of their comfort mode and hire a proven coach with no previous ties to X?

Regardless of the outcome, this was yet again another fun environment to be a part of. Seeing all the young kids playing in the field playing knowing that one day they wanted to be apart of this great rivalry is something special and fun to watch. We get caught up in the W/L, but these young men out on the field will remember these games for a lifetime and for most they will never play before a bigger crowd in their lifetime. As far as the game itself, Trinity was extrememly impressive at the skilled positions, WR's, RB, QB played a heck of a football game and will be hard to beat. The Tigers defensive unit couldn't contain the edges and once the rocks got to the outside it was game over. For St. X, they will need to find a way to open up the box now with Roshkowski out for the season or they will continue to find it hard running it up the gut just like this friday night.

If this does happen do you think X might step outside of their comfort mode and hire a proven coach with no previous ties to X?

Great question. The next coaching search whenever that may be will be a much more extensive search than the most previous one, if it's not then the results will be the same. They'll hire a proven coach, may not necessarily be a proven HC, but one who has coaching experience. My gut tells me they would like to have a person with ties, but at the end of the day will choose the person that fits what they want to do the best regardless of X ties or not.

I would say they will have "search committee" to bring the best possible candidate and not just hire a big name that wants the job.

Great question. The next coaching search whenever that may be will be a much more extensive search than the most previous one, if it's not then the results will be the same. They'll hire a proven coach, may not necessarily be a proven HC, but one who has coaching experience. My gut tells me they would like to have a person with ties, but at the end of the day will choose the person that fits what they want to do the best regardless of X ties or not.

I would say they will have "search committee" to bring the best possible candidate and not just hire a big name that wants the job.

Todd Walsh must be given the opportunity. He has earned right. His loyalty and dedication are second to none. I understand Mike Meiners is trying to work his way into the mix. The Xaverians prefer to stay within the "family".

The bigger question may be with the success of the Saint Xavier Freshman and JV squads, does Wolford get a longer reign at the top?

Todd Walsh must be given the opportunity. He has earned right. His loyalty and dedication are second to none. I understand Mike Meiners is trying to work his way into the mix. The Xaverians prefer to stay within the "family".

I would think Coach Walsh would be given a fair shot at it; I always thought he would be the "coach in waiting". I would be willing to bet the next HC, will be a teacher or have a position within the school building.

see next post

Todd Walsh and many other former assistants would be qualified to be the next X head coach. Coaching experience, not just head coaching experience, is important. With Wolford, there was none of either, as he was never even a varsity assistant at any school, much less St. X.

As far as Meiners goes, I would hope that X would learn from their mistake in hiring a coach who is not a teacher in the building. It is just not the same as being around the players within the school day.

Obviously, given the past history in all sports, X will try to stay within the family. Sometimes this is good, sometimes not. Based on a conversation I had several years ago with the powers that be, unless there has been a dramatic change of heart, there will not be a national search.

Todd Walsh has certainly earned his stripes, and at least deserves a look. I agree we need someone with coaching experience, and I would prefer head coaching experience. I do believe the HC for football needs to be in the school, as there are so many players to deal with and learn about.

Rumors a few years ago centered around Stephon Lefors. Might be an excellent choice considering his character and success at CAL.

Obviously numbers have not decreased under Wolford. Actually appear to have increased.

18,000 in attendance might be the sign that we need to do something. At its peak 30000 plus.

18,000 in attendance might be the sign that we need to do something. At its peak 30000 plus.

IMO, this has to do more with the weather than the football. If it were 70 degrees and a beautiful night to get your tailgate on, it would have been between 22,000 and 26,000 IMO because of all the casual fans that want to go, but don't really have a vested interest and if it's raining or threatening rain they won't go.

IMO, this has to do more with the weather than the football. If it were 70 degrees and a beautiful night to get your tailgate on, it would have been between 22,000 and 26,000 IMO because of all the casual fans that want to go, but don't really have a vested interest and if it's raining or threatening rain they won't go.

I completely agree; they should really move this game to earlier in the season. We keep getting rain (or the threat of rain) where it's positioned now. My sister is a causal fan, and she bailed on it because of the weather.