Bluegrasspreps' Class 3A Rankings - Discussion (9/12)

Ram

Class 3A

1. Belfry at 1A #5 Pikeville

2. Corbin at 5A #6 Southwestern

3. Lexington Catholic vs. 6A Madison Central

4. Caldwell County vs. 6A Henderson County

5. Boyle County vs. 4A #10 Collins

6. Central -- OPEN

7. Bardstown vs. Elizabethtown

8. Waggener at 5A Atherton

9. Russell vs. 4A Boyd County

10. Garrard County at 4A East Jessamine

Like Class 2A, should they just mail the trophy to Belfry? Is everyone else just playing for second place? Would Corbin have a chance against Belfry? Is it going to come down to another show down between Belfry and Central? Who moves after this week? Who stays the same?

3A West

I am not feeling Central out of the West right now

Scroggins can do a lot, but it just seems the talent pool is a bit too thin.

I am liking LexCath still as of right now. They have played a brutal schedule and actually competed well save a stretch against Johnson Central where they could not recover a kick. Just comparing them and Central, I look at the St. Xavier game and LexCath definitely put up more of a struggle.

If there was ever a year for a surprise team to make the run to the Finals in the West it is this one. Adair County, Caldwell County, Garrard County, Waggener... all teams that may have a friendlier path than previous years.

The one team I am monitoring closely is Bardstown. They are 3-0 with a bullet including a convincing win over a pretty solid Spencer County team.

3A East

Here's the deal... Corbin is a very good football team. I am talking good enough to win the whole banana if they get to WKU... where they would probably be the favorite over the West's delegate. They run it well, they can throw it, they have a quick Defense, and they are very experienced. Corbin has everything you want in a 3A Title Contender.

But Belfry is just something you don't see at this small school level. They are bigger than everyone, they are faster than everyone except maybe Waggener or Tilghman, they are more experienced than everyone, and IMHO they have more football IQ than anyone. Belfry has embarrassed three teams. When Belfry smoked Tates Creek I think most accepted TC was a bad team... now Tates Creek may be the second best 6A team in Fayette County. Harlan County didn't stand a chance, but their other two losses were extremely game efforts against ranked 5A and 4A teams.

Belfry is far from immortal, but it is going to take a team playing nearly flawless football to have a chance and even then I am not sure a 3A team can beat Belfry without the Pirates helping them out with penalties or turnovers.

It's way to early to try and predict 3A (east), some teams are just now figuring some things out.

Should be a fun few weeks.

Not sure if you meant west? No real question about the Eastern side of 3A. There is only 2 realistic choices---Belfry or Corbin. The western side of 3A is up for grabs...but Lex Cath has the advantage at this point.

Really looking forward to how the Region 2 district races and playoffs shake out. The fun starts in less than 2 weeks in D3. It could get very interesting if Bardstown hosts Central on Oct. 14 with a spotless record. They'll get a big test at Waggener the last weekend of the month.

Not sure if you meant west? No real question about the Eastern side of 3A. There is only 2 realistic choices---Belfry or Corbin. The western side of 3A is up for grabs...but Lex Cath has the advantage at this point.

I meant West...still can't come to grips with Boyle Co being in W KY. ;)

I'm more excited to see the Bardstown-Etown game and the Caldwell-Hendo game than I have been about HS FB in a while. These are going to be great tell games for all three 3a Contenders. Should be a great weekend on the boards after those two. Caldwell should handle Hendo but Boston is a MAN of a coach and can have his boys ready. Etown and Btown should just be a fight. Should be a great weekend on the boards after these two!

We'll know more about Bardstown after tomorrow. E-Town is not as strong as they were last year, but they have some athletes and Mark Brown as coach. Bardstown has annihilated everyone in their first 3, including Spencer. E-Town, Waggener, and Central will all be good tests.