Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

5A #8 Southwestern @ 4A #9 Mercer County

Who gets the win? 21 members have voted

  1. 1. Who gets the win?

    • Southwestern
      61%
    • Mercer County
      38%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Both of these teams have started out the 2016 season with a couple pretty solid victories against a loss for each. Southwestern has wins against Jeffersonville IN, and Knox Central. Their loss came at the hands of 2A power Danville. Mercer county posted wins against Bell county and 5A Anderson county. Mercers loss came in the soggy opener against Central Hardin.

I've not seen Southwestern play, but going on stats alone, they appear to have a fairly balanced attack. They have gotten plenty of production from their ground attack and complemented well by an above average passing game.

Mercer county boasts a pair of tailbacks that either or both are capable of 100 yard rushing games. The QB play has been a little inconsistent, but solid in the last couple games. Receivers are athletic as your going to find, and very explosive when they get a step on the corner.

I want to know what those of you who have seen both teams, think about this match up?

I'm also interested to hear what Southwestern fans think about how your team has performed?

Who wins this match up of teams on the rise?

Pulaski Southwest fans will tell you how they should be state champs and how no one is ever better than them.

  • Author
Pulaski Southwest fans will tell you how they should be state champs and how no one is ever better than them.

 

 

I would probably be the pot calling the kettle black, if I said a word about it too!

I am looking forward to seeing my old coach.

 

image.jpeg

 

We both have calmed down substantially since this picture was taken. :thumb:

Southwestern fans: we now play at Alvis Johnson Field (Harrodsburg HS). The GPS address is 371 E. Lexington St., Harrodsburg.

 

image.jpeg

 

image.jpeg

  • Author

Any Southwestern fans have some input?

@ChiefSmoke that doesn't look anything like the place where I saw so many classic Garrard/Harrodsburg games over the years. Congratulations on the facility. I looks wonderful!

@ChiefSmoke that doesn't look anything like the place where I saw so many classic Garrard/Harrodsburg games over the years. Congratulations on the facility. I looks wonderful!

 

The Hogs had a great place to play, but I agree with you in that the facility is at an entirely new level. New track, lights, bleachers. And, I believe this is the first bermuda surface at the field. It looked brand new again after two games in the rain for the bowl. We are excited about it. Our kids love it. Holler at me when you come to a game!

I'm convinced that SW is a little better than I thought. I think they escape with a win. To be fair, I haven't watched Mercer though

chief maybe you can talk to somebody over here about what you guys did to have such a nice surface. The new place looks great.

Pulaski SW will be too big and physical IMO. This is their year with Pulaski being down and a weaker region. Pencil them in to BG.

I have watched each play and came away a little bit more impressed with Southwestern

 

Mercer has a very solid team. Very versatile, pretty sound fundamentally, nice skill players.

 

Southwestern though I feel has a nice edge at the L.O.S, especially when comparing their DLine against Mercer's OLine. Floyd Fannin is a terror on the D-Line and will make some impact plays. Offensively I like the Edwards kid for Southwestern a lot. He has great vision and change of direction, also has very good speed. They also have a Vaught kid at WR who is a player.

 

Southwestern otherwise is vulnerable on Defense beyond their DLine. Danville and Knox Central both found success moving the ball. I think Mercer will get some points for sure, but I am not sure they will get enough stops against a very prolific Warrior Offense. I think Southwestern will make just enough plays to slow down Mercer and get the win.

 

Southwestern 38

Mercer 30

Pulaski SW will be too big and physical IMO. This is their year with Pulaski being down and a weaker region. Pencil them in to BG.

 

I think they are the definite favorite in their region right now for sure.

 

With that said I am not sure they can knock off CovCath just yet.

I think they are the definite favorite in their region right now for sure.

 

With that said I am not sure they can knock off CovCath just yet.

 

Correct me if I am wrong but looking at the Class 5A playoff breakdown wouldn't CovCath be paired in the regionals with Fern Creek and semi-state with BG? Looking at the info dated 3/18/16.

chief maybe you can talk to somebody over here about what you guys did to have such a nice surface. The new place looks great.

 

Chad Asbury out of Germantown does our turf , Ashland's and Mason's. Outstanding work and very reasonable. Have someone contact me for his phone number.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.