5A #8 Southwestern @ 4A #9 Mercer County

Blake1978j

Who gets the win?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the win?

Both of these teams have started out the 2016 season with a couple pretty solid victories against a loss for each. Southwestern has wins against Jeffersonville IN, and Knox Central. Their loss came at the hands of 2A power Danville. Mercer county posted wins against Bell county and 5A Anderson county. Mercers loss came in the soggy opener against Central Hardin.

I've not seen Southwestern play, but going on stats alone, they appear to have a fairly balanced attack. They have gotten plenty of production from their ground attack and complemented well by an above average passing game.

Mercer county boasts a pair of tailbacks that either or both are capable of 100 yard rushing games. The QB play has been a little inconsistent, but solid in the last couple games. Receivers are athletic as your going to find, and very explosive when they get a step on the corner.

I want to know what those of you who have seen both teams, think about this match up?

I'm also interested to hear what Southwestern fans think about how your team has performed?

Who wins this match up of teams on the rise?

@ChiefSmoke that doesn't look anything like the place where I saw so many classic Garrard/Harrodsburg games over the years. Congratulations on the facility. I looks wonderful!

The Hogs had a great place to play, but I agree with you in that the facility is at an entirely new level. New track, lights, bleachers. And, I believe this is the first bermuda surface at the field. It looked brand new again after two games in the rain for the bowl. We are excited about it. Our kids love it. Holler at me when you come to a game!

I have watched each play and came away a little bit more impressed with Southwestern

Mercer has a very solid team. Very versatile, pretty sound fundamentally, nice skill players.

Southwestern though I feel has a nice edge at the L.O.S, especially when comparing their DLine against Mercer's OLine. Floyd Fannin is a terror on the D-Line and will make some impact plays. Offensively I like the Edwards kid for Southwestern a lot. He has great vision and change of direction, also has very good speed. They also have a Vaught kid at WR who is a player.

Southwestern otherwise is vulnerable on Defense beyond their DLine. Danville and Knox Central both found success moving the ball. I think Mercer will get some points for sure, but I am not sure they will get enough stops against a very prolific Warrior Offense. I think Southwestern will make just enough plays to slow down Mercer and get the win.

Southwestern 38

Mercer 30

Pulaski SW will be too big and physical IMO. This is their year with Pulaski being down and a weaker region. Pencil them in to BG.

I think they are the definite favorite in their region right now for sure.

With that said I am not sure they can knock off CovCath just yet.

I think they are the definite favorite in their region right now for sure.

With that said I am not sure they can knock off CovCath just yet.

Correct me if I am wrong but looking at the Class 5A playoff breakdown wouldn't CovCath be paired in the regionals with Fern Creek and semi-state with BG? Looking at the info dated 3/18/16.

chief maybe you can talk to somebody over here about what you guys did to have such a nice surface. The new place looks great.

Chad Asbury out of Germantown does our turf , Ashland's and Mason's. Outstanding work and very reasonable. Have someone contact me for his phone number.