Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NFL denies Cowboys' request to wear decal honoring fallen Dallas officers

Featured Replies

The NFL denied the Dallas Cowboys’ request to wear a decal on their helmets during the season that would have paid tribute to the five police officers killed last month in an ambush.

 

The team had been wearing a decal with the words “Arm in Arm” since the first day of training camp this summer. Dallas police Chief David Brown and Mayor Mike Rawlings paid the team a visit on that day, according to Fox 4 News.

 

The NFL’s strict rules on uniforms forced the league to deny the Cowboys’ request to wear the decal for the upcoming season.

I get it, you allow one, you will have to allow them all.

  • Author
I get it, you allow one, you will have to allow them all.

 

In 2007 they allowed the Packers to wear 50th anniversary patches for Lambeau Field.

In 2007 they allowed the Packers to wear 50th anniversary patches for Lambeau Field.
I am not seeing the parallel, but I get the NFL's stance in that they can't be getting in the midst of political or social movements.
  • Author
I am not seeing the parallel, but I get the NFL's stance in that they can't be getting in the midst of political or social movements.

 

If that were the case, wouldn't they have fined the Rams' players in the 2014 November demonstration? At any rate, I get your (and others) point. I do think it would have been a positive gesture for the NFL to allow the sticker considering the circumstances.

Unfortunately you have to draw that line. If it's not football related then you just can't. One does it then all do it. If the Cowboys want to do something, put a big sign up inside the stadium, pictures of the murdered police officers, video etc.

I am not seeing the parallel, but I get the NFL's stance in that they can't be getting in the midst of political or social movements.

 

Supporting 5 police officers who were murdered is a political or social movement?

 

Is it a political or social movement when they support breast cancer or the military?

Is it a political or social movement when they support breast cancer

 

Nope. Its a marketing ploy to sell jereseys.

Supporting 5 police officers who were murdered is a political or social movement?

 

Policing is under the microscope. Justly or unjustly. Fact. It has sparked protests, violence (up to murder), and civil disobedience. If the Dallas slain officers incident occurred in a vacuum, then ok, but it didn't. I am not condemning or defending the NFL, but they are not going to put themselves in the middle of a national debate.

Policing is under the microscope. Justly or unjustly. Fact. It has sparked protests, violence (up to murder), and civil disobedience. If the Dallas slain officers incident occurred in a vacuum, then ok, but it didn't. I am not condemning or defending the NFL, but they are not going to put themselves in the middle of a national debate.

 

They had no problem when the Rams players did "hands up, don't shoot" and wrote messages supporting Michael Brown on themselves a couple years ago.

 

Supporting 5 officers who died in a terror attack isn't political. Hell, supporting police in general isn't political, but showing support for five that died protecting your city is just class. The Giants did it in the form of hats after two officers were murdered in their patrol car in NYC.

 

They'll allow stickers on the helmets for other things, I don't see why this is a big deal.

Here's what the Starboys should do: Go like Peyton did and wear the Johnny U black cleats and pay the fine. Force the NFL to make the decision to donate it to the fallen officers' charity or some other such police-related charity.

 

The NFL could even spin that off into something like what they do with the Breast Cancer Awareness apparel (albeit donating much more of those apparel proceeds than what they currently do).

  • Author
I am not seeing the parallel, but I get the NFL's stance in that they can't be getting in the midst of political or social movements.

 

Unfortunately you have to draw that line. If it's not football related then you just can't. One does it then all do it. If the Cowboys want to do something, put a big sign up inside the stadium, pictures of the murdered police officers, video etc.

 

The NFL allowed the New York Jets, New York Giants, and New England Patriots to wear a decal honoring the victims of the tragedy in Newtown in 2012.

I am not seeing the parallel, but I get the NFL's stance in that they can't be getting in the midst of political or social movements.

 

They moved the super bowl out of Arizona in early 90's for not acknowledging Marin Luther King day. That was pretty darn bold and I'd say, political and social.

I doubt that a little sticker on the back of their helmets is going to cause outrage by the community. In Dallas, seems universal agreement that shooting the officers was wrong and could not be justified no matter how radical your beliefs were.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.