Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Racists???

Featured Replies

Do you wear uniforms in the shop? If so, tell him they are mandatory for everyone. Even temps, if that is an added expense for him, give him a couple of sets, they aren't that big of an expense, might save you later headaches. If no uniforms, might need to think about it. They were mandatory in our shop, and all had sleeves. But then if you do this, are you infringing his Right to Free Speech? What a mess we have created.

  • Replies 67
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you wear uniforms in the shop? If so, tell him they are mandatory for everyone. Even temps, if that is an added expense for him, give him a couple of sets, they aren't that big of an expense, might save you later headaches. If no uniforms, might need to think about it. They were mandatory in our shop, and all had sleeves. But then if you do this, are you infringing his Right to Free Speech? What a mess we have created.

 

No infringement on his right to free speech. The right to free speech doesn't protect you from the consequences that may occur based on what you said.

No infringement on his right to free speech. The right to free speech doesn't protect you from the consequences that may occur based on what you said.

 

...and all employees are "at will" employees meaning they can be fired for almost any reason.

New temp working for me has "White Pride" tattooed on the back of his arms, is that racists???

He’s been here two weeks done a good job so far today he has on sleeveless shirt.

Should someone be let go for a tattoo?

 

Why are you asking?

 

Are you concerned?

Have there been issues?

Or are you just trying to make a point?

 

(All are valid reasons)

The way I handle those situations is I'll let them go until another associate brings it up. If it offends somebody, I'd make him cover it up.

I would tell him to cover it up, just like I would tell someone with a "black pride" tattoo to cover it. If one is racist, then so is the other.

I would tell him to cover it up, just like I would tell someone with a "black pride" tattoo to cover it. If one is racist, then so is the other.

 

But is it racist? Would you wait to see if it causes a problem?

But is it racist? Would you wait to see if it causes a problem?

 

Do I personally think its racist? No, but I do see how it could potentially cause some tension in the work environment. For that reason, I would tell him to cover it up.

If they interact with customers, they're covering it up.

 

If not, and it doesn't cause any distractions or issues with other employees, I think I just let it go.

But is it racist? Would you wait to see if it causes a problem?

 

Do you think its racist?

Do you think its racist?

 

In and of itself - no.

Many, many companies have policies regarding tattoo's. A typical policy covering tattoo's, piercings, etc, will normally spell out that "visible tattoo's should be covered", or "shall be covered should they be deemed offensive to customers, co-workers, due to racial, sexual, religous, etc content".

 

Shouldn't be a big deal to ask him to wear sleeves to cover it up. Just be sure you are applying the policy consistently. So to answer a previous poster, if it was an employee with a "black pride" tattoo, then that employee should also be asked to cover that as well.

Of course it's racist. There's a reason the phrase is associated with white supremacist groups. I don't know what convoluted reasoning it would take for someone to get that tattooed on themselves with benign intentions.

Of course it's racist. There's a reason the phrase is associated with white supremacist groups. I don't know what convoluted reasoning it would take for someone to get that tattooed on themselves with benign intentions.

 

It probably comes from a racist. However, I won't hammer the guy or fire him for that alone.

It probably comes from a racist. However, I won't hammer the guy or fire him for that alone.

 

Sure, maybe it doesn't cause any problems. Maybe he regrets it. I wouldn't fire him on that alone.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.