June 23, 201610 yr Am I the only person that hears condescension anytime people are referred to as "folks"? Almost as much as "bless his heart". Never thought of it as condescending at all. My folks are my family and friends that I am close to.
June 23, 201610 yr It is ok for a black person to be proud of being black, but racist for a white person to be proud of being white. Sad! There isn't anything wrong with being proud of who we are. It's great. I can only speak for myself obviously, but if I saw it tattooed on someone, my first thoughts wouldn't be "that person is proud of who they are." I'd immediately think they meant it as white supremacy. I really don't think any rational person who was just proud of who they are would get that tattooed on themselves. He had to know how it would be perceived when he got the tattoo. I don't see how he couldn't really. Its naive to think it's just an innocent tattoo.
June 23, 201610 yr There isn't anything wrong with being proud of who we are. It's great. I can only speak for myself obviously, but if I saw it tattooed on someone, my first thoughts wouldn't be "that person is proud of who they are." I'd immediately think they meant it as white supremacy. I really don't think any rational person who was just proud of who they are would get that tattooed on themselves. He had to know how it would be perceived when he got the tattoo. I don't see how he couldn't really. Its naive to think it's just an innocent tattoo. Would you have that same initial thought if you saw a black person with a "black pride" or "black power" tattoo? I'm just trying to figure out if we have a double standard here based on race. If there is a double standard based on race, that black people are allowed to do something or express themselves in a certain way that white people are not, the irony would be unreal.
June 23, 201610 yr Would you have that same initial thought if you saw a black person with a "black pride" or "black power" tattoo? I'm just trying to figure out if we have a double standard here based on race. If there is a double standard based on race, that black people are allowed to do something or express themselves in a certain way that white people are not, the irony would be unreal. Is there a "double standard"? Sure there is. Is there a "double standard" in treatment or perceptions white people receive in other circumstances? Sure there is. In a colorless utopia your point would be more valid. Would a white person trade the advantages they have to be allowed to tattoo (or shout) a statement? Probably not.
June 23, 201610 yr Is there a "double standard"? Sure there is. Is there a "double standard" in treatment or perceptions white people receive in other circumstances? Sure there is. In a colorless utopia your point would be more valid. Would a white person trade the advantages they have to be allowed to tattoo (or shout) a statement? Probably not. It just seems like if we were being honest with ourselves and truly wanted to end race based discrimination, or any discrimination for that matter, we would put forth a better effort to hold every person to the same general standard. It just seems odd to me, to quote MLK Jr.'s "I have a dream speech," then follow that up with a, "well this person is allowed to do that because he's black," statement. I wasn't alive during his time, so I cant give a definitive assessment, but I have a hard to believing MLK Jr. would subscribe to the idea that a black person is allowed to do ro say something, simply based on his skin color.
June 23, 201610 yr It just seems like if we were being honest with ourselves and truly wanted to end race based discrimination, or any discrimination for that matter, we would put forth a better effort to hold every person to the same general standard. It just seems odd to me, to quote MLK Jr.'s "I have a dream speech," then follow that up with a, "well this person is allowed to do that because he's black," statement. I wasn't alive during his time, so I cant give a definitive assessment, but I have a hard to believing MLK Jr. would subscribe to the idea that a black person is allowed to do ro say something, simply based on his skin color.To quote MLK Jr., if we are all being judged upon the "content of our character" and along the same prism, that notion makes total sense. The hope is, once all racial disparities and lenses cease to exist, so would these double standards.
June 23, 201610 yr To quote MLK Jr., if we are all being judged upon the "content of our character" and along the same prism, that notion makes total sense. The hope is, once all racial disparities and lenses cease to exist, so would these double standards. I agree with your general idea, but I guess I just have a differing opinion when it comes to the order of operations. In my opinion, the racial disparities will only disappear when we stop perpetuating the double standard and hold everyone to the same standard regardless of race. When we stop just openly accepting that race can determine what a person is or isn't allowed to do, that is when the racial disparities will diminish.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.