Why can't UK win or be consistent in SEC.

jericho

If UK was serious about winning they'd offer $4-5 million per year to Mike Leach this offseason. Don't care what happened under Mumme or what Craig James made up, Leac gets it done with less.

Outside of finding the next up and comer (hard to do, harder to keep), this is the only answer.

Question for fellow UK fans:

Provided the actual evidence against Art Briles is not as damaging as previously thought, would any of you support a hire of him in the future? Safe to say Texas and Texas A&M are likely out, he could probably be had. Obviously if he did cover up the sexual misconduct of his players he's unhireable, most rational people would agree. But, if he really was "wrongfully terminated" and was not a part of the cover up, would you be opposed?

Not at all opposed. I do still like what Stoops is doing and I want to see him get at least 6 years as UK's coach before a decision is made about his future at UK.

And this is coming from someone who didn't like the Stoops hire.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step one is to put the focus on beating the non-elite teams on the schedule. UK should never lose to WKU, EKU, or any other non-power 5 team. Until that gets fixed none of the rest matters. They have to win the 3 easy out of conference games each year

Step two is to beat Missouri and Vandy all the time. There is no reason that they can't do this. The only advantage Missouri has is that it isn't a basketball school, but with their coaching change, they are ripe for decline.

Step three is to beat Louisville. This seems like a coaching issue. UK seems to always out recruit Louisville, but it doesn't result in wins. That has to be the result of Louisville's ability to develop players, develop solids schemes, and adjust in game.

Step four fight tooth and nail against a nine game conference schedule. If that happens, UK's ability to get to a bowl becomes significantly harder.

Not sure if this is accurate. To many people put stock into Stars by a kids name. But you are right it comes down to coaching. When I say coaching I mean developing kids.

People can dislike him, but Booby knows how to develop kids to fit what he is doing.

As stated above and many times in the past...Kentucky hasn't ever committed to having the best coaches that it could get. UK has got maybe the best coach that would take the job for what they were offering. Not to over simplify, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. I'm not just talking about HC either...just a glance at 2011 salaries showed UK had the lowest paid HC at $1.7M and the near lowest paid Coordinators at around $320K each which combined for the 2nd lowest combined salary in the SEC for Coordinators.

Even with Stoops being the 27th highest paid coach in the country that was good for 13th in the SEC. Kentucky's total staff pay was good for 30th overall at $3M but was only 13th in the SEC.

I am not saying that these coaches need raises, my point is that if this is the golden age of Kentucky actually caring about football, then if Stoops fails, UK needs to open the checkbook and swing for the fences with the next hire and then don't nickle and dime the staff also.

Not sure if this is accurate. To many people put stock into Stars by a kids name. But you are right it comes down to coaching. When I say coaching I mean developing kids.

People can dislike him, but Booby knows how to develop kids to fit what he is doing.

A telling story that I heard a few weeks ago about the difference in the UK coaching method and the UL coaching method.

Kentucky: During practice a players screws up (runs wrong route, misses block, blows assignment), the video is reviewed and the mistake is corrected then and expected to not be made again during the next practice.

Louisville: During practice a player screws up (runs wrong route, misses block, blows assignment), Practice Stops and the player is addressed and the play is ran over and over until it is ran correctly.

I'm sure the first method is the method that Jimbo uses at Fla St and that's why Stoops does it that way...but in my opinion there is nothing like immediate accountability on the field to correct issues.

Because many years ago, the UK administration bought Adolph Rupp and car and Bear Bryant a watch. Bear Bryant left and turned Alabama into a football school. Adolph Rupp stayed and Kentucky became a basketball school.

Bama was a football school before that with Wallace Wade and Frank Thomas. The reason that UK can't win is talent. They can't get the players, because of the lack of interest in the football program. They can't sell out 61,000. Stadiums should increase in seating, not decrease like commonwealth is.

A telling story that I heard a few weeks ago about the difference in the UK coaching method and the UL coaching method.

Kentucky: During practice a players screws up (runs wrong route, misses block, blows assignment), the video is reviewed and the mistake is corrected then and expected to not be made again during the next practice.

Louisville: During practice a player screws up (runs wrong route, misses block, blows assignment), Practice Stops and the player is addressed and the play is ran over and over until it is ran correctly.

I'm sure the first method is the method that Jimbo uses at Fla St and that's why Stoops does it that way...but in my opinion there is nothing like immediate accountability on the field to correct issues.

Hey man, leave Jimbo out of this. If anything Mark is more influenced by Bob than Jimbo. Jimbo is THAT MAN! Put some respect on Jimbo's name!!!!!!

Hey man, leave Jimbo out of this. If anything Mark is more influenced by Bob than Jimbo. Jimbo is THAT MAN! Put some respect on Jimbo's name!!!!!!

Wasn't throwing no shade at your boy :lol2:

BTW Mark never coached with Bob...he's Jimbo's Boy!

Edited by Jumper_Dad

Wasn't throwing no shade at your boy :lol2:

BTW Mark never coached with Bob...he's Jimbo's Boy!

Doesn't mean he didn't talk to Bob and get advice from him.

Truthfully, what Jimbo and Bob have is different from what UK and UL have. If a player messes up the guy behind him is just as capable if not better at FSU and OU. At UK and UL they don't have that luxury.

Doesn't mean he didn't talk to Bob and get advice from him.

Truthfully, what Jimbo and Bob have is different from what UK and UL have. If a player messes up the guy behind him is just as capable if not better at FSU and OU. At UK and UL they don't have that luxury.

Lot of truth to this. Talent at 2 and beyond on the depth chart is WAY below that of the elite programs.

I think we need a no name coach like Boise St got that can coach and play with 2 star kids.

We should have hired Petrino when we had a chance.

Never! I'd rather have a losing record than have that scumbag be the face of the program. At some point, integrity has come in to play. justsayin

Congrats. You got your wish.

And I can look myself in the mirror without feeling like a scum

There are a lot of coaches out there who can win with integrity. UK just hasn't found him. And none of them are named Petrino.