Why can't UK win or be consistent in SEC.

jericho

I'm just happy when we get to go to the Music City Bowl.

But what reasons limit UK to being a winning program.

Why are we not an attractive program?

Is it the facilities?

I think we have never found the right coach?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step one is to put the focus on beating the non-elite teams on the schedule. UK should never lose to WKU, EKU, or any other non-power 5 team. Until that gets fixed none of the rest matters. They have to win the 3 easy out of conference games each year

Step two is to beat Missouri and Vandy all the time. There is no reason that they can't do this. The only advantage Missouri has is that it isn't a basketball school, but with their coaching change, they are ripe for decline.

Step three is to beat Louisville. This seems like a coaching issue. UK seems to always out recruit Louisville, but it doesn't result in wins. That has to be the result of Louisville's ability to develop players, develop solids schemes, and adjust in game.

Step four fight tooth and nail against a nine game conference schedule. If that happens, UK's ability to get to a bowl becomes significantly harder.

I don't think it is one single answer but two that stand out are:

1: Historically UK FOOTBALL facilities (Basketball's are top notch) have lagged from those of the schools UK wants to compete with resulting in players and coaches looking else where. Historically it seemed UK was competing with schools like Miami of Ohio for players. UK has made good strides to bring up those facilities recently but the fruits of those investments will take more years to see.

2: Bad coaching hires. Bill Curry, Claud the Fraud Bassett, Joker Phillips, the list goes on. The only positive hire in the past 20 years was Grandpa Brooks but I still often wonder how much Andre Woodson made Brooks and Joker look better than the really were. Keep in mind, after Woodson left, Brook's last team was not as impressive as the prior two when Woodson was there. Woodson CERTAINLY made Joker look great as an Offensive Coordinator and gave Mitch Barnhart the option of giving him the coach in waiting position or losing him. Looking back, letting another team take him from UK as a head coach would have worked out better but again, at the time of the announcement, Joker looked like a strong offensive coach. I think Stoops was a decent hire but also, about the best UK could really hope for to be really honest. The UK job simply is not sought after so Barnhart had to get what he could and hope Stoops down the road would leave the program a little better than it was when he came on campus and then seek out a coach who is a little better and just keep building.

I don't think it is one single answer but two that stand out are:

1: Historically UK FOOTBALL facilities (Basketball's are top notch) have lagged from those of the schools UK wants to compete with resulting in players and coaches looking else where. Historically it seemed UK was competing with schools like Miami of Ohio for players. UK has made good strides to bring up those facilities recently but the fruits of those investments will take more years to see.

2: Bad coaching hires. Bill Curry, Claud the Fraud Bassett, Joker Phillips, the list goes on. The only positive hire in the past 20 years was Grandpa Brooks but I still often wonder how much Andre Woodson made Brooks and Joker look better than the really were. Keep in mind, after Woodson left, Brook's last team was not as impressive as the prior two when Woodson was there. Woodson CERTAINLY made Joker look great as an Offensive Coordinator and gave Mitch Barnhart the option of giving him the coach in waiting position or losing him. Looking back, letting another team take him from UK as a head coach would have worked out better but again, at the time of the announcement, Joker looked like a strong offensive coach. I think Stoops was a decent hire but also, about the best UK could really hope for to be really honest. The UK job simply is not sought after so Barnhart had to get what he could and hope Stoops down the road would leave the program a little better than it was when he came on campus and then seek out a coach who is a little better and just keep building.

I'm not so sure about that...wasn't Nutter considered to be one of the best, if not the best of it's kind when it was built in the late 80's-early 90's? Not many, if any, had indoor facilities like that...let alone a full 100 yards. I also thought their new weightroom, etc was considered to be one of the best in the country as well.

I think any scheme that succeeds at UK has to be something that is unusual and doesn't rely on having the best athletes on the field. That's why the Air Raid was successful; it was unusual and could get by without having dominant OL. I think the triple option would do the exact same thing.

If UK was serious about winning they'd offer $4-5 million per year to Mike Leach this offseason. Don't care what happened under Mumme or what Craig James made up, Leac gets it done with less.

Outside of finding the next up and comer (hard to do, harder to keep), this is the only answer.

Question for fellow UK fans:

Provided the actual evidence against Art Briles is not as damaging as previously thought, would any of you support a hire of him in the future? Safe to say Texas and Texas A&M are likely out, he could probably be had. Obviously if he did cover up the sexual misconduct of his players he's unhireable, most rational people would agree. But, if he really was "wrongfully terminated" and was not a part of the cover up, would you be opposed?

I'm just happy when we get to go to the Music City Bowl.

But what reasons limit UK to being a winning program.

Why are we not an attractive program?

Is it the facilities?

I think we have never found the right coach?

Because many years ago, the UK administration bought Adolph Rupp and car and Bear Bryant a watch. Bear Bryant left and turned Alabama into a football school. Adolph Rupp stayed and Kentucky became a basketball school.

I'm not so sure about that...wasn't Nutter considered to be one of the best, if not the best of it's kind when it was built in the late 80's-early 90's? Not many, if any, had indoor facilities like that...let alone a full 100 yards. I also thought their new weightroom, etc was considered to be one of the best in the country as well.

^this

Facilities have always been among the elite.

Revenue has has always lagged behind the other SEC schools, as well as recruiting. Top 20 in the nation sounds great, until you look up and realize your behind nine other schools in the conference.