Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Coach Pitino insinuating something?

Featured Replies

That they don't recruit one and dones? That's not true though is it?

 

UofL "actively" recruited Antonio Blakeney. justsayin

  • Replies 80
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surely you're not insinuating that Pitino can't develop talent?

 

Pitino takes one and done talent level players and develops them into 4 year, seasonally average, players like no other!

Nowhere in that post did I even begin to suggest anything like that. What exactly are you on about?

 

Sorry I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that Siva and Behanan could not be developed because of their size.

One thing that I know Pitino can do, and do it very well, is coach college basketball.

 

Agreed.

Sorry I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that Siva and Behanan could not be developed because of their size.

 

Their size is certainly an inherent disadvantage as far as getting to the NBA. Siva became a better guard over his four years here in Louisville, there's no doubt in my mind about that. He could get to the rim at will in high school and was unbelievably fast. He became an outstanding defender and passer while he was in college. To suggest otherwise is just foolishness.

Sorry I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that Siva and Behanan could not be developed because of their size.

 

This is a great point! Many of those players went on to have great NBA careers. I wonder why this hasn't continued at UL?

Bill Simmons was hammering Mike and Mike for not going after Rick more and lobbing softballs when it comes to the scandal.

 

In listening to the interview, I didn't think anything of the Kentucky reference, other than he has recruited one and done players. And if hasn't in the interest of seeking out lower caliber players to develop, he should be fired on the spot. I have a hard time thinking Rick or other high profile coaches would turn away Anthony Davis.

This thread. :lol2:

Bill Simmons was hammering Mike and Mike for not going after Rick more and lobbing softballs when it comes to the scandal.

 

Well Bill Simmons would know all about throwing softballs so long as it's directed at someone involved in Boston-area sports.

 

What did he want them to ask about? What does he think Pitino's going to say?

Their size is certainly an inherent disadvantage as far as getting to the NBA. Siva became a better guard over his four years here in Louisville, there's no doubt in my mind about that. He could get to the rim at will in high school and was unbelievably fast. He became an outstanding defender and passer while he was in college. To suggest otherwise is just foolishness.

 

Never said Siva wasn't a fine college point guard. The point is that Pitino recruits one and done types, but few of the ones he signs at UL have productive NBA careers.

Never said Siva wasn't a fine college point guard. The point is that Pitino recruits one and done types, but few of the ones he signs at UL have productive NBA careers.

 

Who has he recruited to Louisville that was projected to be a one and done that didn't leave early?

 

Just because someone is a McDonald's All-American doesn't mean they are one and done talent. How many McD's All-Americans DON'T go to the NBA after one year?

UK fans should be glad he went after Telfair. That's what landed Rondo at UK.

 

Very true, Rondo's handlers were begging for a scholy because that's where he wanted to go but Pitino thought he was going to get Telfair. Of course it probably cost him another championship

Very true, Rondo's handlers were begging for a scholy because that's where he wanted to go but Pitino thought he was going to get Telfair. Of course it probably cost him another championship

 

I don't know if it would have won him another title, but Rondo fit Pitino's style much better than he ever fit Tubby's.

Never said Siva wasn't a fine college point guard. The point is that Pitino recruits one and dones, But few of the ones he signs at UL have productive NBA careers.

 

I think the simple truth is that Pitino, like any good coach would, tries to get the best players to play for him. The bulk of the top-level guys choose to go elsewhere... and truthfully I don't blame them. Pitino's system isn't for everybody and freshmen usually don't get the hang of it very well and so don't tend to play a whole lot. If I was another coach, just using the book on minutes played for freshman would make it really easy to recruit against him for top-level guys. Heck, if I'd been an elite basketball player back then, I'd have been living it up in the Pac-10 faster than you could blink, despite my lifelong allegiance to UofL.

 

But I'm also saying that I think you're falsely equating All-American status with potential one-and-done. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, nobody thought Siva, Behanan, or Blackshear were headed to the NBA after one season. I don't remember any of that talk during their recruitment at all. I'll fully admit I don't follow recruiting apart from the occasional blurb in the C-J.

Very true, Rondo's handlers were begging for a scholy because that's where he wanted to go but Pitino thought he was going to get Telfair. Of course it probably cost him another championship

 

I think it's part of what led him to do more to go after the top guys in town a lot harder like Snider and Spalding. The Telfair disaster was far and away the biggest recruiting blunder during Pitino's time at UofL... well... until the hooker parties.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.