Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Coach Pitino insinuating something?

Featured Replies

It cracks me up sometimes when folks think you can develop a player for the NBA in one year of college. If all of those one and done guys would have went somewhere else they would still make it to the NBA. Now going to UK does get them ready for the high exposure and gets them media ready more than any program I concede that. What really amasses me it how UK only has one national title during Cal tenure. If you take all of the UK players in the NBA during his time and put them on one team you would arguably have the best team in the NBA.

  • Replies 80
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It cracks me up sometimes when folks think you can develop a player for the NBA in one year of college. If all of those one and done guys would have went somewhere else they would still make it to the NBA. Now going to UK does get them ready for the high exposure and gets them media ready more than any program I concede that. What really amasses me it how UK only has one national title during Cal tenure. If you take all of the UK players in the NBA during his time and put them on one team you would arguably have the best team in the NBA.

 

Do you feel the same way about Dean Smith? Only 2 titles in all those years with all those stars.

I don't think he meant much by the comment. But if I wanted to pick it apart my theory as to what he could have been implying is a bit different than most if anyone has touched on.

 

If I wanted to read into it and try to pick it apart, my thoughts would be that he is saying that he doesn't recruit one and done's so why would they need to have stripper/prostitute parties to get the players they are landing. In theory your 2 and 3 star guys like he mentioned are not going to be looking for "gifts" to entice them to go to a high level program, as they likely don't have a ton of high level options. However with the elite of the elite, they can go practically wherever they want and some but not all of them may want their elbow's greased before they make a decision.

 

That would make sense if there was still doubt that these things took place. That doubt is gone.

Do you feel the same way about Dean Smith? Only 2 titles in all those years with all those stars.

 

Funny you mention NC had the same conversation with two of my friends about that. They were saying NC and better NBA talent than UK during Deans run. I disagree I think Cal has more talent and not even close to being done. But Yes he should have won more than 2 Titles.

Funny you mention NC had the same conversation with two of my friends about that. They were saying NC and better NBA talent than UK during Deans run. I disagree I think Cal has more talent and not even close to being done. But Yes he should have won more than 2 Titles.

 

I would agree with you on talent. According to Wiki Dean Smith coached 25 NBA first round draft picks. Cal has coached 24 / 25 depending on how much credit you give him for coaching Enes Kanter at practice. 18 / 19 of those have been during his short tenure at UK.

 

That being said, while I would like to have had more than 1 championship during that time, it's not something I would criticise him over. With the NCAA being a 1 and done format a lot of times the best team doesn't always win. If the NCAA were conducted as the NBA does their playoffs, I think Cal would have won at least 3 during his time at UK.

I bet right now Rick is just happy he can point down south on I-65 a bit at the moment.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.