Transfers impacting Regional Champions

As I was looking over the Sweet 16 bracket, I was struck by how many teams have impact players who have transferred into the schools who will be at Rupp next week. Just going in order of the games played:

Buckhorn (Don't know of any but not well educated on Buckhorn)

Murray - Zach Flener (formerly of West Jessamine. Transferred when his dad got a position in the district)

Trinity (no idea but probably a safe assumption there are several transfers on their roster.

Newport Central Catholic (ditto for Trinity above)

Bowling Green - Thomas Booker (moved in before this season)

Elliot County (Don't know of any but not well educated on Elliott)

Dunbar - Taveion Hollingsworth (moved from Bryan Station district before high school) Believe Dontell Brown did also but don't know that for sure.

Mercer County - Malik Dow (Moved from Ballard to Mercer before last season) - Dylan James (Moved from Sheldon Clark before season started when his dad got a job in the district)

Lawrence County - Dalton brothers moved over from West Virginia a couple of years ago.

Doss - Have several transfers (both into and out of the program for the last year)

South Laurel - Caleb Taylor (from small school before last season)

Christian County - Jaylen Sebree (from UHA before this season)

Mason County (Don't know of any but not well educated on Mason)

Taylor County - David Sloan (Moved with Coach Gatewood 2 years ago). Dylan Gaines (moved from Warren East before the season)

South Oldham/Owensboro Catholic (know nothing about either team)

My point being, at least 9 of the 16 teams have impact players who are transfers into their school over the last 1-3 year period.

At this point, do you think this is a trend that will inevitably continue? Who is to blame for all of these transfers? Parents? Coaches recruiting? Kids wanting to play with friends? Evil AAU coaches?

Or am I just crazy and this season is an outlier?

Hopefully this can bring some good discussion.

Bad thread, and a terrible post to start it.

You call it an, "article," and then admit you know nothing about almost half the teams in the field. But, you go on to assume Trinity and NCC must have transfers. Nice work, chief.

Every kid that plays for NCC entered the school as a freshman. So that's, that.

The kid from Murray you mentioned, whose dad "got a position in the district," was hired as the basketball coach. Your choice of words in that instance certainly made it sound like you wanted to create something out of nothing.

Sounds like the Dunbar kids you mentioned transferred before high school, correct?

You had a chance to make this a viable thread, if you had solid information. Admitting you know almost nothing about half the teams is a bad place to start. You want to talk about something during the week off, start a best popcorn in the state thread, or a this was my ACT score thread. Both would be more interesting, to me especially the latter.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids are recruited, jobs are given to parents and as long as parents move it should be no issue. The same will happen with the 2016-2017 season. It's a trend that really hurts the prior school with no commitment to a program. It's mire of a parents dream

Bad thread, and a terrible post to start it.

You call it an, "article," and then admit you know nothing about almost half the teams in the field. But, you go on to assume Trinity and NCC must have transfers. Nice work, chief.

Every kid that plays for NCC entered the school as a freshman. So that's, that.

The kid from Murray you mentioned, whose dad "got a position in the district," was hired as the basketball coach. Your choice of words in that instance certainly made it sound like you wanted to create something out of nothing.

Sounds like the Dunbar kids you mentioned transferred before high school, correct?

You had a chance to make this a viable thread, if you had solid information. Admitting you know almost nothing about half the teams is a bad place to start. You want to talk about something during the week off, start a best popcorn in the state thread, or a this was my ACT score thread. Both would be more interesting, to me especially the latter.

Well "Chief" sorry to have offended you. And I didn't label it an article. Someone did that after I had posted and there were already a couple of responses to the original post.

I suppose you would rather every thread be about the 9th region or comparing Carson Williams to various white hall of fame basketball players? The intent behind my post was to stimulate discussion since there is no basketball to be played for a week. Some people have done that here.

I don't sample popcorn at the games I go to and I got a 27 on my ACT. If you'd like to start either thread I'll chime in with that info.

Taveion and Dontell aren't transfers. They played middle school ball with Darius Williams at Leestown.

Direct quote from his mother to me "We moved because he was going to have to go to Bryan Station." They lived in Masterson Station and that subdivision is literally cut in half so that half go to Bryan Station and half go to Dunbar. All those kids would go to Leestown then they are split for high school.

Direct quote from his mother to me "We moved because he was going to have to go to Bryan Station." They lived in Masterson Station and that subdivision is literally cut in half so that half go to Bryan Station and half go to Dunbar. All those kids would go to Leestown then they are split for high school.

So what. If the parents chose to move so a kid could go to a particular high school there's no issue.

Let's call this what it is You're butt sore because your personal favorite team didn't with their regional that in your words they were a "shoe in" for (heck they didn't with their district) so you are casting aspersions on the team that did. Instead of veiling it in an all regions thread (many of which you label as not being well educated about, and a couple that you "assumed" you knew about but really didn't) why not just start a Doss beat my team and I'm upset thread?

I'm still interested in why you think it's a "safe assumption" that Trinity had transfers.

That still doesn't make him a transfer. He's been at Dunbar since he was a freshman.

Yes South Laurel had the kid from Williamsburg who helped them a lot. Without him they may be sitting at home on Thursday.

Its a good thread, if Montgomery co doesn't have the Jones boy from GRC they don't even get out of the district.

Him and Davis at Paris were to of the best transfers in the 10th region hands down.

Impacted many wins for both squads

So what. If the parents chose to move so a kid could go to a particular high school there's no issue.

Let's call this what it is You're butt sore because your personal favorite team didn't with their regional that in your words they were a "shoe in" for (heck they didn't with their district) so you are casting aspersions on the team that did. Instead of veiling it in an all regions thread (many of which you label as not being well educated about, and a couple that you "assumed" you knew about but really didn't) why not just start a Doss beat my team and I'm upset thread?

I'm still interested in why you think it's a "safe assumption" that Trinity had transfers.

You think Bullitt East is my favorite team? Comical. I live in Lexington, cover the 11th for BGP and have seen one BE game all year (at KOB). I'm not sure I even have a favorite team these days. I do think it's fun to watch Mercer, Dunbar, Lexington Catholic and Henry Clay. Those are the 4 teams I saw the most this year.

Trinity has had several transfers across multiple sports. I do understand that many of their kids are not a true transfer because they go to some JCPS middle school and then enroll at Trinity for high school. Sorry if I offended you

Yes i agree if you start and finish at a highschool that is not a transfer. Anything before 9th grade shouldnt count.

IMO...Unless you played varsity minutes for another school first. I know that's happened more on the girls side but could happen some on the guys side also.

You think Bullitt East is my favorite team? Comical. I live in Lexington, cover the 11th for BGP and have seen one BE game all year (at KOB). I'm not sure I even have a favorite team these days. I do think it's fun to watch Mercer, Dunbar, Lexington Catholic and Henry Clay. Those are the 4 teams I saw the most this year.

Trinity has had several transfers across multiple sports. I do understand that many of their kids are not a true transfer because they go to some JCPS middle school and then enroll at Trinity for high school. Sorry if I offended you

In your world when exactly does a high school gain ownership of a player?