Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Could Change America's Textbooks

Featured Replies

Science can't be a religion or neither of those words mean anything. Similarly, philosophy is neither a science nor a religion. Each of these words encapsulate broad concepts, but have well understood definitions that distinguish each from the other.

  • Replies 87
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Science can't be a religion or neither of those words mean anything. Similarly, philosophy is neither a science nor a religion. Each of these words encapsulate broad concepts, but have well understood definitions that distinguish each from the other.

You know what, I would be all for science being a religion. What I do everyday as my profession is a health science, and if it's a religion, then I would qualify for a 501c3 and be tax exempt. Boom. I vote science is a religion.

You know what, I would be all for science being a religion. What I do everyday as my profession is a health science, and if it's a religion, then I would qualify for a 501c3 and be tax exempt. Boom. I vote science is a religion.

 

I think the "Scientologists" beat you to it. :lol2:

I think the "Scientologists" beat you to it. :lol2:

 

 

tom-cruise-thumbs-up.jpg

@PP1 I will stick with "tripe." You say "atheism is a religion." You are just playing with words, contorting them out of their everyday usage. You really aren't responding to me at all, since you simply ignore what I wrote and then play with words in a disingenuous way. Based on the way you are deliberately misusing words, you would also say "The Non-Belief in Santa Clause is a religion." You can't, (honestly) argue that one is a religion and the other is not. Neither is a religion.

@spindoc nice post and reply and respect.

 

Definition of worldview: a set of presuppositions (assumptions which may be true, partially true or entirely false) which we hold (consciously or subconsciously, consistently or inconsistently) about the basic makeup of our world.

 

Believing in Santa Claus is separate from the basic makeup of our world. If you want to say that Atheism is not a religion, then okay, there are objective stances that can support that. I do not see how you can say it is not a worldview or at least a part of Nihilism or Naturalism.

 

This is not word play. I know exactly what I am saying and why I am saying it.

Definition of worldview: a set of presuppositions (assumptions which may be true, partially true or entirely false) which we hold (consciously or subconsciously, consistently or inconsistently) about the basic makeup of our world.

 

Believing in Santa Claus is separate from the basic makeup of our world. If you want to say that Atheism is not a religion, then okay, there are objective stances that can support that. I do not see how you can say it is not a worldview or at least a part of Nihilism or Naturalism.

 

This is not word play. I know exactly what I am saying and why I am saying it.

 

Because atheism, for me, is simply the belief that there is no god. That is not nihilism or naturalism. I don't believe there is a god, that's it.

Because atheism, for me, is simply the belief that there is no god. That is not nihilism or naturalism. I don't believe there is a god, that's it.

 

Ok. I guess I just don't see how that does not qualify as a belief you have about the basic make-up of the world.

I don't much care for labels to define myself. I can use words like spiritualist, realist, existentialist, agnostic, atheist to describe the various elements of philosophy that make up where I am on my human quest for knowledge of the unknown, but no matter what I call it, or don't call it, I can assure you I don't call it religious, therefore I am not apart of a religion. Just because there might be others like myself who dabble in thought outside of the box of world religions does not mean we are all part of another religion.

I don't much care for labels to define myself. I can use words like spiritualist, realist, existentialist, agnostic, atheist to describe the various elements of philosophy that make up where I am on my human quest for knowledge of the unknown, but no matter what I call it, or don't call it, I can assure you I don't call it religious, therefore I am not apart of a religion. Just because there might be others like myself who dabble in thought outside of the box of world religions does not mean we are all part of another religion.

 

 

Thank you.

Can we all agree that it depends on your definition of religion?

Ok. I guess I just don't see how that does not qualify as a belief you have about the basic make-up of the world.

 

That's a fair comment, I will try to explain. This answer is not intended to do anything but state my situation with more clarity, so here goes.

 

I don't believe in god. That doesn't really affect me as I move thru each day. It affects me most on this board lol, because this is a discussion board and I like the discussions. But god or no god, I can go to work and out to eat and watch tv and it never enters into it. So it sure doesn't feel like a world view.

 

A comparison that might help you understand. You don't believe in odin, thor, loki. But I would doubt you sweat it much, or that it ever crosses your mind and the fact that you don't believe in odin probably doesn't feel like a belief in the basic make up of the world. Well, that's how I feel except for I "run into" the issue a bit more because there are more Christians around me than there are norse god worshipers around you. But if you really want to understand how I think about god, just think about how you feel about odin.

Can we all agree that it depends on your definition of religion?

 

Well, no..:). It really isn't the definition that is important as the context. People can say football is a "religion" in Mayfield. And we all know what that means. In Context. But if we are having a discussion about atheism and god, and someone tries to use the word "religion" in a way similar to a love of football, then the context is hopelessly screwed up. In this type of discussion, religion would mean a belief in god or gods. So definition...yes, but context is way more important.

Science can't be a religion or neither of those words mean anything. Similarly, philosophy is neither a science nor a religion. Each of these words encapsulate broad concepts, but have well understood definitions that distinguish each from the other.

 

Not saying science is a religion. I'm saying it's one of the belief systems of their religion. They have faith in science, not God.

That's a fair comment, I will try to explain. This answer is not intended to do anything but state my situation with more clarity, so here goes.

 

I don't believe in god. That doesn't really affect me as I move thru each day. It affects me most on this board lol, because this is a discussion board and I like the discussions. But god or no god, I can go to work and out to eat and watch tv and it never enters into it. So it sure doesn't feel like a world view.

 

A comparison that might help you understand. You don't believe in odin, thor, loki. But I would doubt you sweat it much, or that it ever crosses your mind and the fact that you don't believe in odin probably doesn't feel like a belief in the basic make up of the world. Well, that's how I feel except for I "run into" the issue a bit more because there are more Christians around me than there are norse god worshipers around you. But if you really want to understand how I think about god, just think about how you feel about odin.

 

odin's a bastard and a half.

 

Hope there are no Norse God worshipers amongst us.

That's a fair comment, I will try to explain. This answer is not intended to do anything but state my situation with more clarity, so here goes.

 

I don't believe in god. That doesn't really affect me as I move thru each day. It affects me most on this board lol, because this is a discussion board and I like the discussions. But god or no god, I can go to work and out to eat and watch tv and it never enters into it. So it sure doesn't feel like a world view.

 

As a preacher, it is important for me to not come on too strong when having religions discussions with people that do not go to my church. So if I may ask one more question (I feel like I have been bombarding you).

 

You say you don;t believe in god and that is does not affect your life. Do you believe that if you did believe in God, that it would influence your daily life?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.