Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

St. X Raises the Radio Bar

Featured Replies

I checked and was told the playoffs are broadcast regardless if St. X is in it or not. Also, some games will be broadcast on WKJK 1080 AM but it just depends on availability of the station.

 

That is super. This will make broadcasts available to those serving overseas, etc. Also, many fans may return to wearing their radio headsets and listen to the broadcast while watching the game in person...just to pick up all the little things......

  • Replies 65
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is great to see any school have the opportunity to have their sports broadcast via radio and or internet.

Good job Tigers....! I say make a play for Paul Horning, Chris Montgomery and Bill Glaser in the booth! ... and Bob Dominie on the sidelines....

 

 

 

He is already on the sidelines!! LOL;)

I actually have some knowledge of sports radio broadcasting so I'll answer..

First, it's high school football NOT college or NFL.

Second, Pro-announcers can be VERY expensive and again it's high school football also the cost of producing high sports progamming is more expensive than people think.

Third, because it is high school football you want someone who is very familiar with the program as well as someone has history with the program. If look at almost all high school sports radio programs the play-by-play, color and field guy are usually alums of the school.

 

 

Everything that you say is true but.......it would be nice if local announcers at least TRIED to sound professional.

 

Alum or not, if the announcers are usings words like "we" and "us" to describe the team, they are doing themselves and their listeners a disservice. I cringe when I hear that and usually tune out.

 

Play-by-play announcers should not be cheerleaders nor apologists. They should concentrate on describing the play, giving the time remaining, the down and distance and the spot of the ball. And, most importantly, give the score of the game. Believe it or not, many local announcers do not understand those basics.

Everything that you say is true but.......it would be nice if local announcers at least TRIED to sound professional.

 

Alum or not, if the announcers are usings words like "we" and "us" to describe the team, they are doing themselves and their listeners a disservice. I cringe when I hear that and usually tune out.

 

Play-by-play announcers should not be cheerleaders nor apologists. They should concentrate on describing the play, giving the time remaining, the down and distance and the spot of the ball. And, most importantly, give the score of the game. Believe it or not, many local announcers do not understand those basics.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Everything that you say is true but.......it would be nice if local announcers at least TRIED to sound professional.

 

Alum or not, if the announcers are usings words like "we" and "us" to describe the team, they are doing themselves and their listeners a disservice. I cringe when I hear that and usually tune out.

 

Play-by-play announcers should not be cheerleaders nor apologists. They should concentrate on describing the play, giving the time remaining, the down and distance and the spot of the ball. And, most importantly, give the score of the game. Believe it or not, many local announcers do not understand those basics.

 

 

I answered some questions....didn't say I agree with my answers :lol: :lol: :lol:

 

I am also very well aware of your "believe it or not" statement :thumb:

 

Last but not least...everyone ALWAYS knows a better way to do the job...even if they have never done the job themselves...GT this is not directed at you :lol: :lol:

I answered some questions....didn't say I agree with my answers :lol: :lol: :lol:

 

I am also very well aware of your "believe it or not" statement :thumb:

 

Last but not least...everyone ALWAYS knows a better way to do the job...even if they have never done the job themselves...GT this is not directed at you :lol: :lol:

 

I did not intend that as a personal attack. It wasn't directed towards you, merely in response to your post.

 

Almost everybody I know thinks play-by-play announcing is easy. I have seen a few people humbled by their attempts.

 

I was not an alum when I called my first ballgame....I was still a high school student. I received very good advice about the "do's" and "don'ts" and worked hard to get better. I started by listening to tapes of myself and by being my own worst critic. I listened to others who I thought were good and I figured out why they were good. I eventually developed my own style and rhythm that was very effective and, some say, entertaining.

 

I did a ton of football and basketball games through an extended college career, took a break for law school and starting a practice and then resumed calling football games by commuting from Chicago to Kentucky every Friday night for over 7 years. As my kids got older and more involved in sports, I had to stop the traveling.

 

There is nothing that irks me more than an amateurish, homer announcer who does the same schtick for years and years and people come to accept it. "He was bad when he began and he didn't get any better but he sure does support our team!"

 

I love the art of calling a football game. I have heard (and still do) a lot of bad announcers. The good ones though, I can listen to all night. To me, there is nothing better.

I did not intend that as a personal attack. It wasn't directed towards you, merely in response to your post.

 

Almost everybody I know thinks play-by-play announcing is easy. I have seen a few people humbled by their attempts.

 

I was not an alum when I called my first ballgame....I was still a high school student. I received very good advice about the "do's" and "don'ts" and worked hard to get better. I started by listening to tapes of myself and by being my own worst critic. I listened to others who I thought were good and I figured out why they were good. I eventually developed my own style and rhythm that was very effective and, some say, entertaining.

 

I did a ton of football and basketball games through an extended college career, took a break for law school and starting a practice and then resumed calling football games by commuting from Chicago to Kentucky every Friday night for over 7 years. As my kids got older and more involved in sports, I had to stop the traveling.

 

There is nothing that irks me more than an amateurish, homer announcer who does the same schtick for years and years and people come to accept it. "He was bad when he began and he didn't get any better but he sure does support our team!"

 

I love the art of calling a football game. I have heard (and still do) a lot of bad announcers. The good ones though, I can listen to all night. To me, there is nothing better.

 

 

I didn't take it personal at all :thumb:

 

And for the record...I couldn't call a game if my life depended on it...they won't let me say "crap" :lol:....plus I have more of a tv face anyways :lol: :lol:

Sounds like another First Class Step made by two leading institutions, ST.X and Bisig Impact Group...

By the way, the first two Tiger games in the 2006 season will be broadcast on WKJK, 1080 AM. :thumb:

I did not intend that as a personal attack. It wasn't directed towards you, merely in response to your post.

 

Almost everybody I know thinks play-by-play announcing is easy. I have seen a few people humbled by their attempts.

 

I was not an alum when I called my first ballgame....I was still a high school student. I received very good advice about the "do's" and "don'ts" and worked hard to get better. I started by listening to tapes of myself and by being my own worst critic. I listened to others who I thought were good and I figured out why they were good. I eventually developed my own style and rhythm that was very effective and, some say, entertaining.

 

I did a ton of football and basketball games through an extended college career, took a break for law school and starting a practice and then resumed calling football games by commuting from Chicago to Kentucky every Friday night for over 7 years. As my kids got older and more involved in sports, I had to stop the traveling.

 

There is nothing that irks me more than an amateurish, homer announcer who does the same schtick for years and years and people come to accept it. "He was bad when he began and he didn't get any better but he sure does support our team!"

 

I love the art of calling a football game. I have heard (and still do) a lot of bad announcers. The good ones though, I can listen to all night. To me, there is nothing better.

 

Amen. If it paid anything at all, I would quit practicing law and do it full time.

I wish all the schools in ky had this oppertunity. I live out of state and I would love to be able to listen to my highschool team on the internet.

There is an article in today's CJ about this! Very exciting news and a high school first.

There is an article in today's CJ about this! Very exciting news and a high school first.

 

What exactly is the first?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.