February 24, 201610 yr I started this thread earlier today but with the site issues it went bye bye. Anywho, with Hugh Jackson taking over the Browns and with them interested in some of our players my interest in the Cleveland Browns is at an all time high. With that in mind who wants to discuss the Browns needs? First, they have to get their QB situation right. Second, I would try to keep the OL in tact with Mack and Thomas. Third, how well do the Browns rush the passer? Anyone?
February 24, 201610 yr @theguru, you've finally come over to the dark side. I knew you would. Everyone eventually will root for the Browns. What's not to like? Any way, you are pretty much on the mark with the areas that need focus for the Browns. Here's my take... 1. QB -- obvious, huh. This needs to be addressed in the draft because I don't think there will be a franchise guy in FA that will be realistic for them. So they should stay at #2 and select the best available QB. Will it be Wentz or Goff? Lynch is also a possibility. Even if someone want to leap frog them to take the first QB, I think the Browns should just sit tight and take the other one. 2. OL -- I list this second because when FA rolls around the Browns could lose big. Mitchell Schwartz their RT is listed as the 5th best tackle in the NFL. He had a less than stellar start as a rookie but has become a very good RT. This was expected when he came out of Stanford. Center, Alex Mack is the mostly likely guy to move on. He has the option this year to end his contract and sign with the highest bidder. I forget what you call it, but Cleveland didn't give him the franchise tag but designated him something else which enabled the Browns to match whatever offer came for him. They did so and paid a lot of money for him. He bounced back well from his broken fibula and had a good season. He'll be even better next year with more time to heal. I think he will look for big money and I don't know if Cleveland will be willing to pony up with other bidders. Finally, Joe Thomas' contract is intact for a couple of three years. But last year there was a rumor he was being considered in a trade with Denver. He coulda had a ring. Any way, when Hue Jackson arrived, Joe said he wanted to stay, but the last several years there have been stories that he wanted to be traded or that Cleveland was using him for trade bait. He's tired of losing and tired of change. I hope they keep him. He is the best OT in football and will be invaluable to a rookie QB or an old one, like McCown. So, if Cleveland isn't diligent, an area of strength could soon become an area of weakness and that would set them back several years. A new or old QB needs to be protected. 3. Edge Pass Rusher -- Cleveland has not been able to do this well. In 2013 when Ray Horton was the Defensive coordinator, Kruger had a strong season as a pass rusher. He's glad to see Horton back. O'Neil had him dropping back in pass coverage more than he liked, as he said at the end of the season. Cleveland has spent some high draft picks for this purpose and went into FA (see Kruger), but they haven't landed their guy yet. Mingo has been a disappointment. He was too skinny as a LB. He hasn't developed into much of anything yet. ut if they can find an edge rusher this draft that can take some of the pressure off Kruger, I think Kruger will have a big season next year. FA doesn't present many realistic options for the Browns. I think the Browns should use the 32nd pick on an edge rusher, perhaps Leonard Floyd out of Georgia. 4. WR -- Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu come home to Papa Hue. Josh Gordon needs to be reinstated and turn over a new leaf, hopefully not a marijuana leaf. Travis Benjamin is up for FA and I think they should work on keeping him, though story is that contract talks have broken down. He is a play-maker. Can score from any where on the field. Though small, this is the type of receiver being seen around the league. Cleveland should finally try for a top receiver in the draft, but if a QB is taken at #2, should the #32 go for WR or edge rusher. That's a tough call so if FA can yield some good receivers, like from the Bengals, then this question may be answered. 5. CB -- Pettine ran a DB heavy defense. Horton will focus more on pass rushers and LBs. BUt with the injuries Cleveland had this season, one of their stronger units became a question mark. They've missed on a couple of draft picks here. One way to help themselves is to keep Tashaun Gipson who is up for FA. You can't keep losing guys to FA because it creates new holes in the roster in areas that used to be a strength. In addition, we need to draft a good one here. There's the way I see it... (tonight).
February 24, 201610 yr Being a depressed Browns fan for 35 years, I am glad to hear that Guru. Oh and oldgrappler pretty much nailed it.
February 24, 201610 yr Not much hype regarding the crop of signal callers in his draft. Hugh likes to pound thwacking so is it a possibility they don't draft a QB? I know QB is a main brick in the build but is Hugh ready to hitch his future to QB at #1? Buckner seems like an impact guy from the start. Edited February 24, 201610 yr by NEERFAN
February 24, 201610 yr Not much hype regarding the crop of signal callers in his draft. Hugh likes to pound thwacking so is it a possibility they don't draft a QB? I know QB is a main brick in the build but is Hugh ready to hitch his future to QB at #1? Buckner seems like an impact guy from the start. Pretty much every coaches future is based on having a qb. Coaches who can't ever find a qb usually don't have a job long.
February 24, 201610 yr Pretty much every coaches future is based on having a qb. Coaches who can't ever find a qb usually don't have a job long. Minus Marvin.. Sorry, my inner Hellbird was showing.:lol2:
February 24, 201610 yr Not much hype regarding the crop of signal callers in his draft. Hugh likes to pound thwacking so is it a possibility they don't draft a QB? I know QB is a main brick in the build but is Hugh ready to hitch his future to QB at #1? Buckner seems like an impact guy from the start. It depends on what he thinks of the available QBs. There are plenty of other holes in the roster that they could just go with the best available player when they pick. However, Cleveland will go nowhere without getting a good QB. Their future depends on it and they haven't come up with a good selection for Qb yet. I think they take a QB at #2 even if he doesn't grade out as one one of the top ten players available. In this case, meaning its Cleveland and they desperately need a QB, they do draft for position rather than take the best available player at #2. If they don't take a QB at 2, you will hear the collective groan reverberate all over the state of Ohio and even up the hill beyond the river into KY.
February 24, 201610 yr There is not a QB in the draft worthy of the #2 overall pick. They need to draft an impact player, O or D doesn't matter. Although I would prefer D. If they waste it on one of these QBs, I will not be happy.
February 24, 201610 yr There is not a QB in the draft worthy of the #2 overall pick. They need to draft an impact player, O or D doesn't matter. Although I would prefer D. If they waste it on one of these QBs, I will not be happy. You have a point. Whomever they pick at #2, I will wait until we see how they play in the season before deciding to be happy or unhappy. Too many picks have not worked out, even the "can't miss" types. But it is fun thinking about, guessing, and getting one's hopes up about the draft. Bridgewater, I wanted Cleveland to select Bridgewater instead of Johnny. But then it was fun to think about Johnny's intangibles and what could happen if... Then it was another set of "intangibles" that derailed the whole thing. In the end, he was a long shot any way.
February 24, 201610 yr You have a point. Whomever they pick at #2, I will wait until we see how they play in the season before deciding to be happy or unhappy. Too many picks have not worked out, even the "can't miss" types. But it is fun thinking about, guessing, and getting one's hopes up about the draft. Bridgewater, I wanted Cleveland to select Bridgewater instead of Johnny. But then it was fun to think about Johnny's intangibles and what could happen if... Then it was another set of "intangibles" that derailed the whole thing. In the end, he was a long shot any way. Would have loved to have seen Teddy in Cleveland. I absolutely hated the Johnny Idiot pick.
February 24, 201610 yr There is not a QB in the draft worthy of the #2 overall pick. They need to draft an impact player, O or D doesn't matter. Although I would prefer D. If they waste it on one of these QBs, I will not be happy. Can't disagree, so what is their plan?
February 24, 201610 yr Can't disagree, so what is their plan? Don't know. I'm hoping Joey Bosa. I'm betting trade down. Wouldn't mind seeing them pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick and take Carson Wentz down around 10th or so.
February 24, 201610 yr Don't know. I'm hoping Joey Bosa. I'm betting trade down. Wouldn't mind seeing them pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick and take Carson Wentz down around 10th or so. Forgive me for not knowing, but how is the GM situation in Cleveland? Does Hue have control or is there a GM that will make those draft decisions?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.