Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cleveland Browns Draft and Free Agent Needs

Featured Replies

  • Author
Lost some data haven't you?

 

No kidding, and it was some of my best work. LOL

  • Replies 35
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
@theguru, you've finally come over to the dark side. I knew you would. Everyone eventually will root for the Browns. What's not to like?

 

Being a depressed Browns fan for 35 years, I am glad to hear that Guru.

 

Don't get confused guys, I am a Bengals fan first and foremost and it is not even close. However, other than the Colts (and I can be slightly chill towards the Ravens) I am a fan of all NFL teams. I have always liked the Browns, a lot for that matter, but with Hue taking over and some of players possibly headed there I am more interested than ever.

 

I just want to be sure you guys know there is no Factory of Sadness conversion going on here.

  • Author
@theguru, you've finally come over to the dark side. I knew you would. Everyone eventually will root for the Browns. What's not to like?

 

Any way, you are pretty much on the mark with the areas that need focus for the Browns. Here's my take...

 

1. QB -- obvious, huh. This needs to be addressed in the draft because I don't think there will be a franchise guy in FA that will be realistic for them. So they should stay at #2 and select the best available QB. Will it be Wentz or Goff? Lynch is also a possibility. Even if someone want to leap frog them to take the first QB, I think the Browns should just sit tight and take the other one.

 

2. OL -- I list this second because when FA rolls around the Browns could lose big. Mitchell Schwartz their RT is listed as the 5th best tackle in the NFL. He had a less than stellar start as a rookie but has become a very good RT. This was expected when he came out of Stanford. Center, Alex Mack is the mostly likely guy to move on. He has the option this year to end his contract and sign with the highest bidder. I forget what you call it, but Cleveland didn't give him the franchise tag but designated him something else which enabled the Browns to match whatever offer came for him. They did so and paid a lot of money for him. He bounced back well from his broken fibula and had a good season. He'll be even better next year with more time to heal. I think he will look for big money and I don't know if Cleveland will be willing to pony up with other bidders. Finally, Joe Thomas' contract is intact for a couple of three years. But last year there was a rumor he was being considered in a trade with Denver. He coulda had a ring. Any way, when Hue Jackson arrived, Joe said he wanted to stay, but the last several years there have been stories that he wanted to be traded or that Cleveland was using him for trade bait. He's tired of losing and tired of change. I hope they keep him. He is the best OT in football and will be invaluable to a rookie QB or an old one, like McCown. So, if Cleveland isn't diligent, an area of strength could soon become an area of weakness and that would set them back several years. A new or old QB needs to be protected.

 

3. Edge Pass Rusher -- Cleveland has not been able to do this well. In 2013 when Ray Horton was the Defensive coordinator, Kruger had a strong season as a pass rusher. He's glad to see Horton back. O'Neil had him dropping back in pass coverage more than he liked, as he said at the end of the season. Cleveland has spent some high draft picks for this purpose and went into FA (see Kruger), but they haven't landed their guy yet. Mingo has been a disappointment. He was too skinny as a LB. He hasn't developed into much of anything yet. ut if they can find an edge rusher this draft that can take some of the pressure off Kruger, I think Kruger will have a big season next year. FA doesn't present many realistic options for the Browns. I think the Browns should use the 32nd pick on an edge rusher, perhaps Leonard Floyd out of Georgia.

 

4. WR -- Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu come home to Papa Hue. Josh Gordon needs to be reinstated and turn over a new leaf, hopefully not a marijuana leaf. Travis Benjamin is up for FA and I think they should work on keeping him, though story is that contract talks have broken down. He is a play-maker. Can score from any where on the field. Though small, this is the type of receiver being seen around the league. Cleveland should finally try for a top receiver in the draft, but if a QB is taken at #2, should the #32 go for WR or edge rusher. That's a tough call so if FA can yield some good receivers, like from the Bengals, then this question may be answered.

 

5. CB -- Pettine ran a DB heavy defense. Horton will focus more on pass rushers and LBs. BUt with the injuries Cleveland had this season, one of their stronger units became a question mark. They've missed on a couple of draft picks here. One way to help themselves is to keep Tashaun Gipson who is up for FA. You can't keep losing guys to FA because it creates new holes in the roster in areas that used to be a strength. In addition, we need to draft a good one here.

 

There's the way I see it... (tonight).

 

I feel like a Browns expert now. :D

Forgive me for not knowing, but how is the GM situation in Cleveland? Does Hue have control or is there a GM that will make those draft decisions?

 

Paul DePodesta is the GM.

  • Author

The Browns have money to spend and have holes to fill, especially on defense. Jackson the Browns in free agency will “be very thoughtful….disciplined” and that the draft will be the focus in replenishing the roster.

 

Jackson said he would “love to have them all back” in regard to the team’s pending free agents but stressed the need for the proper fit.

 

An NFL Network report earlier this week said Mack plans to opt out but still could sign a new contract with the Browns. There have been varying reports on Benjamin and whether he’ll hit the market. If he leaves — or even if he doesn’t — the Browns could look to sign one of the Bengals pending free agent wide receivers, Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu. Jackson was the Bengals offensive coordinator the last two seasons.

 

Jackson mum on Browns free agents | ProFootballTalk

There is not a QB in the draft worthy of the #2 overall pick. They need to draft an impact player, O or D doesn't matter. Although I would prefer D.

 

If they waste it on one of these QBs, I will not be happy.

 

It's really early in the draft process, if I was a betting man, I would bet the house they take a QB at 2. The Browns will be the Browns til they fix the position. They are in a prime spot to get their pick of the litter. Goff or Wentz will be the pick, IMO it has to be. There are no fixes at QB for them til they hit on the draft. This year will be their best chance in a long time to actually control their own destiny.

Will be interesting with what happens to Mack and Gipson. I've been paying attention to both because I think the Jags will take a run at both of em. Mack is interesting for the mere fact that he is a 30 year old center coming off 2 injury ridden seasons will be a little red flag. Gipson is coming off an awful season but I think that's due more to injuries than anything. The year before he was a top 5 FS in the league.

^ Gipson's issues also had to do with injuries to his fellow DBs. It got thin back there and he isn't the type of player to carry the other guys. He needs Haden and others to be there and healthy so that he can do his thing.

@GrizzlyAdams, I think you are right about the future of the Browns being tied to a QB. That QB isn't on the roster now. McCown is a very short-term solution. The future is now for the Browns. If Hue does not take a QB early, and he may trade down, it tells you the QBs available really weren't much.

^ Gipson's issues also had to do with injuries to his fellow DBs. It got thin back there and he isn't the type of player to carry the other guys. He needs Haden and others to be there and healthy so that he can do his thing.

@GrizzlyAdams, I think you are right about the future of the Browns being tied to a QB. That QB isn't on the roster now. McCown is a very short-term solution. The future is now for the Browns. If Hue does not take a QB early, and he may trade down, it tells you the QBs available really weren't much.

 

I think McCown is the perfect bridge. Neither one of the mentioned QB's will be ready day 1 and will need some time to figure out how the NFL works. McCown mentioned about 2 weeks ago that he would love help mentor a young QB. This year is their best chance to get it right, and they have to this time. If not, 2 years down the road we will be talking about this all over again.

Can they draft a new front office and owners?

 

Jimmy is searching for that homeless scout.

Hue Jackson is on record and guarantees Cleveland will come away with a QB from the draft. This is what he told Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com, The Cleveland Plain Dealers web site yesterday at a press conference:

 

Coach Hue Jackson promised that the Browns will draft a quarterback in April -- but it might not be Jared Goff or Carson Wentz.

 

"We will come out of this draft with a quarterback, I guarantee you that,'' he said at the NFL Combine Wednesday. "Now where it's going to be, everybody wants me to say it's the second pick. Well, it could be, it could not be. I think what we have to do is feel good about where we are in the process of evaluating the guys that are here and then going from there and making the decision what's best for us.''

 

In other words, he didn't say much of anything. EVERYTHING that a coach or GM says leading up to the draft about how they will pick in the draft is calculated to hide what they will actually do. He said nothing here.

 

Here's a link to the article for interested parties: Browns Hue Jackson: 'We'll come out of this draft with a QB, I guarantee you that' | cleveland.com

 

Forgive me for not knowing, but how is the GM situation in Cleveland? Does Hue have control or is there a GM that will make those draft decisions?

 

Paul DePodesta is the GM.

 

DePodesta is an analytics guy, not a football guy. He has the say-so on acquiring players. Browns hired three Ivy League guys who work in the area of analytics. One of them, the guy from the Colts was more of a football guy, though he did not work with college talent. He was more on the FA side of it. So it appears, Hue Jackson and his assistants are all long-time "football" guys and the front office types are analytics types. The analytics types have the final say on acquisition of talent though exactly how they will collaborate with Hue is unknown, but DePodesta has the fianl say so on talent acquisition. Hue, though a football guy, seems to be comfortable with the arrangement and thinks he can work with the front office.

 

In some ways, this is kind of an experiment with how analytics as a priority can work in football.

There's no doubt the Brown's need a QB, but they also need many other things.

 

Reaching just to get a QB means you're giving up the best available player, and often means your skipping many better players.

 

Year Round Overall Player

1999 1 1 Tim Couch

2000 6 183 Spergon Wynn

2004 4 106 Luke McCown

2005 3 67 Charlie Frye

2007 1 22 Brady Quinn

2010 3 85 Colt McCoy

2012 1 22 Brandon Weeden

2014 1 22 Johnny Manziel

 

Several of these were reaches where the Browns could have taken a quality player who may still be contributing to the team.

 

I'd rather try to get the Bengals to trade me McCarron then draft any of the guys available.

  • Author
There's no doubt the Brown's need a QB, but they also need many other things.

 

Reaching just to get a QB means you're giving up the best available player, and often means your skipping many better players.

 

Several of these were reaches where the Browns could have taken a quality player who may still be contributing to the team.

I'd rather try to get the Bengals to trade me McCarron then draft any of the guys available.

 

I hope so, I would think the Bengals would come out ahead in that trade. Or put it this way, if the Bengals don't come out ahead I wouldn't make the trade.

Unfortunately, in today's "win now" climate, Cleveland cannot do what it probably needs to in order to build this back to a perennial winner. If it were me, I would hang on to Austin Davis and try to develop him as well as possible until a bonafide franchise QB is available. Is Wentz or Goff the answer? I do not know the answer to that question. Are there better QBs available in the next couple of years? I do not know that either; however, Davis can be developed if given the chance. I mean, he did break all of Brett Favre's record at Southern Miss. So he can't be all bad, can he?

There's no doubt the Brown's need a QB, but they also need many other things.

 

Reaching just to get a QB means you're giving up the best available player, and often means your skipping many better players.

 

 

 

Several of these were reaches where the Browns could have taken a quality player who may still be contributing to the team.

 

I'd rather try to get the Bengals to trade me McCarron then draft any of the guys available.

 

I agree with the most part. A point I make is last years draft. Titans reached big time for Mariota, there were tons of better players available. Yet, they needed a QB and hit on it. Now, that franchise has a glimmer of hope thanks to hitting on QB.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.