Ashland 2016

Ram

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like numbers are up. I think their first scrimmage is against Spring Valley, not sure of the date. I saw where Aaron Snyder tweeted that Dowdy HAS moved to slot receiver and Adkins or Ratliff one will be the qb. I know they went to a couple of 7x7's. Anyone know how they looked? I plan on stopping by practice this evening, hopefully I can get a side by side comparison. Excited about this season.

Sounds like numbers are up. I think their first scrimmage is against Spring Valley, not sure of the date. I saw where Aaron Snyder tweeted that Dowdy HAS moved to slot receiver and Adkins or Ratliff one will be the qb. I know they went to a couple of 7x7's. Anyone know how they looked? I plan on stopping by practice this evening, hopefully I can get a side by side comparison. Excited about this season.

Looked good at KCU. Played with a lot of enthusiasm. Went and attacked the ball in the air. QB/QBs threw the ball well. Didn't have a Baker or O'Bryan but they looked to have pretty good skill.

Stopped by last night for part of practice. I was focusing mainly on qbs and receivers. The receivers seem to be coming along, however there still were a lot of dropped passes. The receiver's coach kept "encouraging" them to make sure to catch the ball. There are some good sized tight ends, it looks like. Heberlin, Ryan and Dickinson look to be the mainstays at that position. Dowdy, Caines, Roberts, Taylor, Sally, Gillium, Conley, Coburn and Fannin seem to get the majority of the wide out duties. They are all coming along nicely. As for the quarter backs, Ratliff and Adkins alternated taking the snaps. Both have impressive arms. I would give Adkins the edge in accuracy. During 11X11, Ratliff and Adkins both did well. Ratliff would scramble early if he felt pressure. Adkins tried to stay in the pocket and deliver the pass. There were times he broke out of the pocket and delivered the pass. As it's been said throughout this thread, it just depends on what type of system you run. Adkins seems to be a pocket passer who can extend the play and has good accuracy. Ratliff seems to be a one read scrambler who can break the big play. Again, this was one observer's opinion at one practice. As of last night, it looks like Ratliff will be under center come Aug. 26. Go Cats!!!

I think Adkins is the smarter option. Ashland is "rebuilding" by their standards without a real star in the backfield or anyone else that has the ability to win games on their own. Lets be honest, without Q, last years Tomcats would have lossed 3 or 4 of the games that they won. I know one guy cant do it by himself, but it was Q or bust. This year, it's going to take a more well rounded team. Adkins gives you a few years of a solid-very good QB. You have the skill guys, why not use them? Imk, this should have been the case for the last 10 years at Ashland. Very little to no verticle presence in the lassing game outside of Q. The loss of Brown this year is a big blow. Either of the two QBs will beed a RB to step up and lead the offense early on. Who are the guys going to be out of the backfield?

What I've come to gather is that the feature backs are going to be Roberts and Coburn. Taylor and Tackett will split time as well. Freshman Hester will also get some time in the backfield. Roberts is a bruising back that is very athletic and can pick up some tough yards. Coburn has put on some muscle over the summer and has good speed. The other three are small backs with speed.

If Brown is in the Ashland lineup, Ashland just might be a team to be reckoned with. He can be a 1500 yard rusher type of player.

Well, I just received word that Brown is back at Ashland. Now, they said he was at practice, not sure if he is cleared and has all transcripts in, but it will get very interesting if he is back in the maroon and white.